I'm using chase cam, is it weird?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lecso0522, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Lecso0522

Lecso0522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hy everyone, as said in the title I feel much more comfortable with chase cam than with hood view. I can see the track from higher, I can prepare for what's coming faster, and most importantly I don't use force feedback and I can see the car movements. Do you think this is a disadvantage? I don't want realism, I only want the fastest possible times. Or should I invest in a force feedback wheel?

2. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    Well, you may obtain the fastest possible times with realism, it's not contradictory, but if you feel comfortable with the chase cam, use it!

Anyway, a force feedback wheel is mandatory if you want to feel the car and go faster.

3. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Do whatever you feel like is right for you. One of the fastest people on my league is using a pad. All what matters is having fun.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Navigator

Navigator Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Your question in the title is different than the one in your post.
    Going by the title, my first impression was: "what do you care?" Right? Sure, there are guys with pro setups and all they want is realism; they may look down upon that. Let them.

The only thing I find irritating, is guys (sorry) driving chase cam, put on all driving aids there are and go whine they MUST have a laser scanned track because of realism ;)

Anyway; I fully agree with Maarten and Beastux.
    Feeling the car is important to adapt. You feel over- or understeer before you see it.
    Understeer is even harder to see; on the wheel feeling it, you can adapt quicker.
    And as with anything; the more money you spend, the better it (in most cases) is.
    I'm using a simple G27 with the wheel itself changed for a Simraceway SRW-S1. It's light and so the forces come easier/quicker as the motor doesn't have to rotate all the mass of the original wheel.
    It works; I can feel the forces, I can adapt.
    Guys using a Fanatec, having payed 10 times that much, will say: "this works better" and they are right.

But ffb; it makes racing better mate, it really does.
    More fun too!

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    You're not weird, you're just using the setup that fits your preferences. Nothing wrong with that, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I've seen plenty of chumps screaming realism and slating chase-cam users as "noobs", and then get soundly beaten by them. One of the fastest guys I know uses chase-cam exclusively, and he is routinely 1-3 seconds faster than most of us.

So yeah, choose whatever camera you want and whatever controller you want. Just like the camera, FFB is subjective and will help some more than others. I don't think it is mandatory, though I personally would never race without it. So race in whatever way suits you best. Simple.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I agree with all comments above. The point is to enjoy the game no matter what you have. Game pad, keyboard or whatever you may want to use.

If you ask me, my goal is and always has been the immersion factor. For example, FFB, buttkickers, triple screens, high end gear etc... Don't care about competition or fastest times. All I want is to feel like I am driving a real car. Thankfully, Raceroom is capable of delivering very realistic driving experience as long you have the right gear and settings to go with.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I believe, once you get a taste of FFB, you will be aiming for a little bit more immersion and then, a little bit more and more and a lot more until you lose yourself and sell your house for the sim rig. GO for it !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Bullshit, get down off your high horse and the sooner the better, you will find it almost impossible to get fast as you have no measure to improve from. This is if you want to get faster and race against your peers the fact you are trying with a Sim rather than an arcade title, says to me this maybe your goal, if so, get in the front seat, look through the windscreen and drive like a normal person. If hanging out 40 foot behind the car was faster, Mercedes would have some way of providing this for Hamilton, its not, so they don't. This is a pointer for all those would be Sim racers that don't sit in the cockpit, you are handicapping yourself from the start, don't learn bad habits that you will need to unlearn in the future. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I agree but the guy already said he doesnt wan't realism. He has a completely different approach and it doesnt mean he can do better with sitting in the cockpit. By the way, I can not imagine driving sim without being in cockpit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Well, some at least tried :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Lecso0522

Lecso0522 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I certainly want to get a new setup and I always want a little bit of a challenge, but without FFB and no assists I feel like chase cam gives me the adequate feedback that I need to feel the car. By the way, is there roof cam in this game?

12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    If you've reached your limit in respect to personal fastest times, it might be a good time to try different approach. Get the steering wheel and one large screen and go from there in cockpit mode. Use this racing simulator as a racing simulator rather than arcade.

13. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Often a bad gamer is a bad gamer and they can blame their control device or setup as much as they want, it won´t change them into an alien. I´ll bet the aliens will still be faster with no FFB using a mouse and a backward facing camera because they already know the tracks and the cars so well.

Chase cam has one major advantage in that you get much better perspective so you can avoid accidents and rammers when in many cases the in car view will not help. You can also explore track limits. I use it in RRE and some Rally games but older games like Microprose F1 are definitely strictly cockpit view for me.

We should also remember that none of us can catch fire or experience real g force loads on our bodies and FFB is just a motor fighting agains your inputs, so with current technology so it is really only a partial simulation anyway.