Released Imola coming to RaceRoom

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Sep 5, 2017.

1. RomKnight

RomKnight Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I still have both and I'd rather drive in VR in R3E especially because triples... don't look that good. I mean I can drive but there were just two sims without proper support for triples and ofc, If I stopped playing rF2 because no VR, obviously I quit playing R3E in triples.

VR all the way :)

But hey, did this thread just turned into a VR vs triples ? :D

wrt to Imola, awesome track. Glad it showed up in R3E. I've mentioned before, i'm all for tracks 1st cars later despite the costs being a bit "differente" between on and the other.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    What makes you think I did not ?
    Am I not allowed to not prefer VR ?
    Also I prefer to see my own racing gear and have some awareness of my surroundings.
    Sorry for the OT, but it is just a reaction on a post against triple screens.
    Anyway, have it your way, be the only sim without triple screen support...kudos...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Triples are not a standard to use. Ownewrs may thunk they orm a big group, but they don't, they are a minority. The overwhewlming majority of players, drivers, still use one single screen.

I read more about problems about setting up Triples correctly, than I seem to read about correctly installing VR systems. SLI porboems not even mentioned, which for many peopel is a hassle, apparently.

In VR, you have the costs of Oculus (~600 coins) and one beefy GFX card, versus two GFX cards for SLI, and three monitors. You also need more space (which many people run short of).

As Empty Box said, pragmatically both things have their strengths and weaknesses. But I think over time VR has a better chance to reahc the masses, than Triple setups. This will beocme the more apparent, I expect,m the more game studios develope from scratch for VR, instead of making existring twodimensional games "VR-ready": with the latter, you always must accept many compromises. Also consider that the Vive allows a mode - forgot the name - that uses inbuild camera to allow the player seeing the environment of real world around him - he can, by the pressing of a button, orient himself in the real world without needing to take off the mask. According function I think is added via Steam. That is a real scoring poijnt over Oculus, I think.

No need to make personal preferences an argument to missionise the world. I only wanted to draw somne attention on that one can debate whether or not it makes sense from a viewpoint of ressources management for a small team to invest into Triples, when the future most likely belongs to monoscreens, and VR.

That they make MP more stable and less stuittering, I think would need to be given more priority than Triples. There are far more MP players out there, than Triple users. Just one example.

Allocating limited ressources - thats what it is all about. Obviously, priorities must be decided on, and then stuck to. So: what makes sense, and what not so much?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Triple screen users are a minority compared to single screen users, right. Understandable too. Not every one has the means or the possibility to use or buy triples. Does not mean proper support should be swiped under the carpet.
    Look at the result of the poll in R3E and see where VR stands...
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/poll-screen-screens.5181/page-2#post-125935
    Problems with setting up triples ? BS. Easy as 1+1 if the proper support is available. What would be the hassle ? Insert all dimensions, distances and angles and you are good to go.
    (BTW my solo Nvidia GTX 980 ti performs fine on triple BENQ 27" 144 Hz monitors), No SLI needed.
    The future belonging to mono screens and VR, did you invented that 'fact' yourself, or is it just wishful thinking ? Do you have triples ? Do you know how bad the streched view on the side monitors is, compared to the view yöu get in sims with proper support ?
    As for now VR is (graphics wise) not even near the triple screen performance. VR will probably improve over time, no doubt, but a lot of people (myself included) get nausea when using VR, and I will never go that way. Hell, I even can't watch long video's made in VR.

Ever tried to change car settings using a big button box with that VR set on your head ?
    Ever raced an endurance race with that VR set ?
    Ever had it happen that your toddler almost got its fingers stuck in the pedals, only just saved by his mother ? Could have turned out really bad...
    VR blocks all (real) environmental awareness (which was one of the reasons two of my friends sold their VR sets and are back on single screen).
    People here have been asking for triple screen support long before VR made its appearance, yet VR is implemented and nobody even answers if triple support will ever make it (where as my other sims rF2, AMS, AC and pCars2 do have the needed support).

5. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
  6. Dave Brown65

Dave Brown65 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Tick Tock:relaxed:

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Just to be fair - nobody answered if VR will ever be supported until short befor release...
    Both sides have good arguments and for sure it is totally understandable when somebody don't want to use VR. And if one have triple-screens he wants support for it - just a logical request. ;)

So and now... R3E is in Maintenance... Imola is coming - yey

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well I've been using a qwerty keyboard for 50 years and max out at two fingers and a thumb, can't play guitar or piano either. Being an old dog, new tricks aren't my thing by nature, although I try, boy do I try.
    I'm actually moving up to triple 42" screens from 27" so would appreciate my favourite Sim adopting some form of support, it had been reported that it could be looked into after VR was adopted, well VR is here and has been for a fair few months, so today should be the day triple screen support arrives, yes! Surely, maybe? :rolleyes: 42" rear view mirror it is then! :eek: how about upping the pixel count in the mirrors to compensate?
    Well at least throw the old dog a bone and let on if there is any chance before the move to U4 or indeed after?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Goose,

you want somethign like this:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ch-...-and-24-buttons-upto-176-functions-for-pc-mac

(choosen for illustration only, click the images)

I used it myself not only for flight simming, but in some ra cing sims as well. You blindly tie your tentacles around it, and find the buttons easily. In simple layout, you can call up 20 functions that way, by physical button (they mostly are four-way-switches). You can map severla layers, that can be switched again blindly via button press, multiplying your avialable commands by three. One layer in box, one layer during racing, as an example.

My father was bassoonist, he said this throttle felt a little bit like holding a bassoon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    125 voices are no representative sample of the generla population. ;)The overwhelming numbers of players never visit this forum.

Anyway, I did not say that Triple support must be exclcuded. What I pointed at is that with limited ressources you have to set reasonable priorities for what you invests precious working time in, and what not. I am about the economics of resources management - not more or less. ;)

The HTC Vive has a mode where the camera shows your real world environment and prjects menues on top of that from your desktop. With game menues, it is a question whether or not - and how - such VR support is programmed into a software.

Again, I neither say VR is the must to go with, nor am I saying Triples must be exlcuded. That monoscreens will remain to be the standard for the vast majority of ordinary players for long time to come, however I take as a given. Empty Box did a good job in summing up the practical pros and cons for VR, and it depends a lot on the kind og game one is playing (this decicdeds imo also whether or not it indeed becomes a success story, or remains to be a gimmick only).

SLI setups and Triple setups bring many people into head rotating mode, I just take that from the web. You may find it easy to setup, but quite some people obviosuly seem to run into problems, from drivers or software, to hardware.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Just wondering why you are talking as a member of the Sector3 staff...get my drift ?

Anyway...on topic...Imola looks good, as is all the other stuff they are bringing. But my point is that I am not going to invest any more as long as there is no triple screen support, because for me it would be money wasted, sadly...

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    No, I dont get your drift. I am talking plane reason here. Its a true statement in general, for so many things. The question is whether or not it is economic to include many ressources into a feature that is of importance only for so and so many - and not more - benefitting people. The more ressources for development you have, the easier you find it to say yes.The more limited your ressources, the sharper your criterion must become for what to invets them in. Because you do not have more ressources, just what you have.

13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps carry on the triple screen vs VR vs single screen debate in this thread, so we can keep this one focused on Imola.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Not sure whether you rub it or straddle it!!! :eek:

Skybird if you only knew the menagerie of controllers, button boxes, fancy keyboards etc. etc. you'd find lying around this place. I have found it's not the technology that has short comings, just the Buffoon hanging on to it for dear life.

Arthritic hands aid no gamer, take it from me but tri-screen support would go a long way to easing the pain! ;)

To be frank, as said before the majority of lacking features doesn't prevent my enjoyment in the slightest, kinda feel it can only get better and if I'm ok with it as is.........................:cool:

Some new toys to play with today, usual complaints on here later asking, why not this, why not that and get on with driving I guess!

*Edit
    Whoops, just read the post above after posting, so ignore all above nonsense, yay, Imola! A favourite of mine! :rolleyes:

15. Viggdred

Viggdred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand all those OFF TOPIC posts...
    Go to "Community Support", if ya wanna talk about VR & triple screens !!!
    :mad::cool::eek:o_O
    Thanx...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 18
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  17. w.velgersdijk

w.velgersdijk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Very nice, also new livery's BMW M6 GT3!!! thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Finally.
    Brilliantly updated version of one of the most iconic tracks in Europe. Thanks @Alex Hummler and the rest of the artist team.

I found myself particularly enjoying the lower tier open wheelers here, FR3 and Tatuus F4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, again no Historic Version :(

Like the 1995–2006 with Variante Bassa

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    I think there is a small bug with corner cutting at Variante Alta.Touching the second curb invalids lap time.

• Agree Agree x 3