News Important Change is Coming. Please Read

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Jun 2, 2016.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Any chance anything else will be included in this update ?

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm fully aware of the limitations most gamer's have to overcome in the graphical department, I was guilty of getting on the SLI bandwagon when it all kicked off 20 years ago (when it was a total waste of time, money and aggro) but I only have a single old GTX780 in my rig now, my point is do developers spend time and money developing options that in the very near future will be handled by the GPU or Driver, at the moment it's an option for the brand new, very expensive 1080/70's by the end of the year there will be a 1060 or something similar and by next year they will be appearing on Mobo's. Also just go to the rig thread people who spend thousands on wheels, rims, seats, multi monitors, switch boxes, gloves, boots......................... tend not to be using low tech GPU's, going by the Steam Hardware Survey (didn't know one existed) is not very scientific as the majority of serious Sim aficionado's start by making sure their rig is graphically capable and I assume the Steam jobby is a general survey including the Solitaire and Candy Crush brigade so as I said, not very revealing. Plus I was talking triple screen support which kinda implies the exponents already have decent GPU's and a bit of Dolla.
    There is a big change coming in the GPU market over the next couple years with some rather formidable, competitively priced cards coming on the market and I reckon if Steam did a survey of Sim users preferred kit the numbers would drastically alter.

3. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Like AI... :rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That should have said "AI improvements", sorry... As the AI seemed better in earlier patches

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I've heard a couple of people mention the issues with flashing and teleporting cars due to the 0 ping issues getting resolved in the next patch? Any news on that at all? Thanks.

6. Flyingnono

Flyingnono Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Pour mr chardon in French.
    Je ne peux plus me connecter par le biais de steam j'ai un message d'erreur "error 2104" que dois-je faire?
    Merci d'avance.
    Cordialement

7. Flyingnono

Flyingnono Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    Problème résolu, maintenant ça fonctionne à nouveau avec steam. Je ne sais pas pourquoi mais ça refonctionne

8. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    they said they mostly fixed it so i imagine itll be in the next update. (the issue from my interpretation was that a car would lag so much it couldn't "un-lag")

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    IMHO everything in this matter is about the money, so if majority of players will have an "old" rigs, putting up graphic requrements will lead to drop of incomes from selling the games with exorbitant graphics. The devs and the financiers must be aware about that. The games as others commodities participates in the market.

10. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    One can use sliders to set the graphics lower if needed, right ?
    It is not because the "majority" has "older rigs", that the "minority" should not be allowed to enjoy better graphics.
    R3E does not seem to lean very hard on GPU's anyway, since I have a single GTX980 ti driving triple 27" 144 Hz monitors and I get an average of about 90 FPS.
    AC (all on max settings) and pCars (mostly max, a few on high) show an average of 65 FPS.
    And yes, I'm a big fan of eye candy, it makes the immersion complete for me.

11. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no sliders just dont work like that, i can't play ac, pcars or most new games coming out on my slower pc, doesn't matter how low i turn the graphics. But with r3e smooth as butter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    They do, but they can't produce magic. If your PC is not up to the task, even on low settings, sliders won't fix that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    But your whole initial point was that sliders are there to allow wide ranges of computers to run products at different levels. :p

I think the most important point here is not that having the options is useful, but more that at some point there absolutely has to be a trade-off. Personally, graphics are an exceptional help towards more immersion and realism, but that should really never come at the expense of allowing others to play the game. It's like saying that 4k should be the standard and anyone still running below 2k should just upgrade or not play.

Again, the entire reason I pointed out the Steam hardware stats was to show that out of the enormous group of PC game players, the VAST majority do not have high-end video cards or even high end CPUs. If you look on the CPU side of things, 2 core CPUs are at 47% and 4 core at 45% (On Windows). Now some of those might be Intel with hyperthreading, but yet again it just highlights that the vast majority do not have super systems capable of doing triple monitors on high/ultra graphics at 2k or 4k.

It might suck for people who have the capability to utilize those super high end settings, but thinking about utilizing resources well, particularly when they are limited like with S3S, it makes much more sense to do things that affect the 90%+ instead of the 10%.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Though isn't that a survey of all Steam users? I suspect a survey of just users who own racing sims will show a higher uptake of higher-end GPUs...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yes it is of all Steam users, but I think you'd be incredibly surprised just how old some of the systems are that people play any game with. Again, when you have a nice machine it's very easy to think that everyone else has one that is at least similar, but more often than not the average PC for gamers is often quite low in specification.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yatzeck

Yatzeck Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I have system, that allow me to play in most games in high graphics settings, but I'm aware that is not a standard in the world. And devs know that to. Because of that, good game must give an oportunity to trade of in choice in graphics settings. Good game must work fluently in low and high end rigs. But of course, in the end, everything depends on particular end user system settings... I think that The Angry Hamster is quite right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jan Stange

Jan Stange Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Hello, does it play any role that my steam and raceroom account didn't base on the same e-mail adress?
    Thanks.

18. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I have virtually the same setup as you but am running 2 gtx 770's in sli and have to run all games approx med. graphics. Was thinking of getting a single 980ti and am happy u can run the games at max. Makes me seriously consider this. How does project cars run with rain on etc as this games seems to be the largest graphics hog.

19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    As far as I remember, the lowest FPS I've seen was 47, in thunderstorm, some 30 cars on the Ruapuna track. But since then I have set detailed grass and reflection to medium (both look still pretty good). These were the ones that were leaning the heaviest on the system. But it is a while ago. I'll do some checking tomorrow and report back.
    Weird thing is that AC (though graphics are clearly less) gives roughly the same FPS, while there is no weather and less cars on track...?
    But anyway, 60 FPS is imo very good, runs really smooth and easy on the eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Tried this today in pCars:
    Imola, 40 cars on grid (multi class), thunderstorm.
    Performance: ALL on high (except for low motion blur), enhanced mirror, stretched headlight reflections.
    FPS between 47 and 59, still smooth, no stuttering or other issues.
    Same race at night (during daytime AI mostly has headlights off, even in bad weather), I get 42 to 58 FPS.