In response to the so called 'leak'.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Chris Speed, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Stipe Ljubic

Stipe Ljubic Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Why are you so ''negative'' and cocky in this topic? It just makes no sense.... Even if it is a ''just'' render it is a step forward
    I understand that is your opinion, but there is no reason to 'lol' at other people who think that this is a great step forward and are excited for more news...

• Agree Agree x 11
  2. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Its dan....read his post history here or RD and make your own decision.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Oh so pretty! Potential for the best looking SIM on the market?
    Combined with the latest physics, even more potential for the out-right best complete sim on the market? Rhetorical question that doesn't really need a spoken answer. :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. AzkarateAsi

AzkarateAsi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if you guys are working in the dashboard of the cars

• Like Like x 1
  5. novolog

novolog New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Also, Does it means that ISImotor physics is ported to Unreal Engine ?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  6. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Did I misread this ? I didn't get the impression anywhere in that first post that the image was in any way related to RRRE :confused: Sorry but actually it looked like it could have been taken straight out of pCars o_O

If it is indeed the future of RRRE then bloody fantastic ! seems that is a very big assumption though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Look what happened last time they did that, please refer to the previous gawd knows how many pages of complaints about just that, releasing unfinished s/ware, not so sure I could go through another 3 years of that!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mihai

Mihai Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    How a single pic can lead to insanity! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    A harrumph is enough.:p

10. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    isiMotor engine (now):
    old.png

Unreal 4 engine (future):
    new.png

Soooooo ... what do you think?

• Like Like x 10
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    In the immortal words of Jim Carey, "I like it a lot."

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @Patrick Schilhan maybe I misunderstood, but wasn't it explicitly mentioned that this screenshot is very old from early experiments and not representative of their current effort?

Imo you should crank up aa and allow alpha to coverage, the benefit of isi's old-style rendering is that one can afford it at pretty decent quality. In pure performance for look, it will not be trivial to beat the old engine as R3E looks pretty good in "nice weather", all that extra detail in UE comes at a price. But in the end, you need that to deal with weather and day/night well. And given it takes a while, even more capable hw will be out by then hehe

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  13. Lachaussette

Lachaussette Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    And Mr Aliasing took his suitcase and left faraway :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    If the new iteration of R3E uses the Unreal 4 engine, does that mean we get to play Capture The Flag with Group 5 cars? Bombing Run with Audi TTs? I`m particuarly looking forward to bunny-hopping all the way round the Nordschleife and can`t wait to hear some growly voiced commentator announcing "KILLING SPREE" every 3rd overtake...

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  15. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    UE4 in Kart Kraft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Love it! Love it! x 6
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    It's worth noting, for all the people talking about not being able to run something that looks like the screenshot, one of the big advantages of utilizing an incredibly solid engine like UE4 would be scaling things up and down. So lower graphical settings would likely work the same, or possibly even better, than they currently do in R3E. So while the screenshot might be at uber-settings that run in real-time at 2 fps even on monster machines, average or low settings would likely run very nicely for a wide range of machines.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    pCars (admittedly on a different graphics engine) runs at almost ultra settings somewhere between 30-60fps for me (in dry weather, haven't played enough to check in the rain) on my "rig" which consists of a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T and a Asus R9 270. I'd say that's a pretty average hardware setup for most people.

pCars is also running on DX11 iirc, UE4 is DX11, DX12 and Vulkan (Not listed on the website, heard/read it somewhere), IF, Sector3 are experimenting with DX12 with this, it will mean lower system overhead all together, which means they can do more on the graphics and physics side (assuming they are playing with DX12 on the physics engine too), for less which should if I understand this right, mean a better looking and feeling game for the same system resources.

That is on DX12 and Vulkan though which will not be available on every ones GPU, that's the downside.

What it would also mean though, is that the limitations for light sources would be gone (I know this has been a major bug-bare for the devs), the current graphics engine allows for only 1 source of light, which is why we don't have proper functioning headlights in R3E, DX11 has a maximum of 8 (Citation needed) in the best graphics engine but DX12 (look at ashes of the singularity) can have thousands.

Don't quote me on this, I may be well off the mark lol.

@pixeljetstream, could you please correct me or clarify if I'm wrong (I'm still learning :D)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Lol yeah better not quote those light counts, they are completely bogus. Can have many lights in dx9 as well. But efficient many light systems at higher quality are better handled with features in dx11.
    Pcars has both dx9 and dx11 renderers afaik.
    Dx12/vulkan are not some miracle solutions, hence the lack of titles really benefitting a lot vs dx11.
    About scalability of effects, that doesn't come free. Sure some of the shadow resolutions, or reflection quality can be handled as before, or removing the grass... But weather and day/night still need developers to write different variants I would guess.
    Not rocket science ;) but still work. Though agreeing there is just more features and known workflows in the engine. (Which would be true for all the major engines )

19. euphoreon

euphoreon New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So just because an engine hasn't been used for a certain genre of games it can't work? Look at Kart Kraft, small team and it looks fantastic.

I know you're not serious but still.

Forza coming to PC will hopefully get teams to raise their graphic game too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    DX12 is nice and all, but it doesnt seem to be a big benefit right now for the few currently released games that got a patch after their initial release adding DX12 support, such as the new Tomb Raider and Hitman games. In fact, the performance was worse in many benchmarks. Obviously it is going to take a lot of work to not only optimize games for DX12, but to make them look better than existing DX9/11 standards.

So as pixeljetstream mentioned, it isnt just some miracle pill that makes everything... bigger... :rolleyes::D

While it would be cool to see some graphics as shiny as Forza, Pcars seems to have done something quite similar. And Im not a big fan of those glossy, shiny, bloom-y, and fake camera-looking graphics. They dont represent what you see in a real car. They more so represent something that was taken as a photograph, and then post processed... which isnt what the eye actually sees.

Of course, I dont know how many dev teams can come up with graphics that look like that either, since Turn 10 has something like 600 people working on Forza, and Sector3 has what? 10-15? :p

• Agree Agree x 3