Indianapolis 500 Speedway?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TFalk, May 21, 2017.

1. TFalk

TFalk Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Am I the only one that finds it curious that the "Speedway" track isn't included with the Indianapolis track pack?
    For starters, there's a lot of attention surrounding Alonso's participation in the Indy 500 this year so would seem like a natural move from a marketing perspective (especially for the U.S. market).
    Secondly, most of the work is already been done (you've already got the cars and most of the track completed).
    Just trying to make sense of it.
    Any plans to release in the near future??

• Like Like x 2
  2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    This "why no ovals" issue comes up occasionally, and I suspect oval racing needs some different programming for AI and maybe even physics. There's probably a reason why Project Cars had them at Alpha but didn't release them, and why Assetto Corsa doesn't have them either.
    The AI for certain would need work. I imagine the contact physics would also be a nightmare.

3. TFalk

TFalk Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In all honesty, the AI needs work anyway (especially in single-seaters), but that's another thread.
    I'm not a game engineer but I can't see how the AI engineering could be compromised on a less complicated circuit.
    Regardless, hopefully someone from R3 will respond as to the reasons why it's not currently being offered.
    Thanks for your input!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Oval racing is all about trajectory, and the AI would need to be aware of the user's trajectory, (not just squarely behind or in front) something which it does poorly at the moment.
    But you are right, only Sector3 can answer that. Hopefuly we can see it in the future. :)

5. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    That would be cool for R3E, I'm having a blast with Indy oval in rF2 - Dallara, URD Formula (Indy cars) and URD Formula Lights, Gen6 and 1971'-72' Stock Cars. With the open-wheel the racing is tricky - very close racing at speed as the AI doesn't spread out too much. Oval racing is a nice change of pace, even though I prefer road courses.

6. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Neither do we have suitable cars (FR US is road spec), nor do we have AI capable of racing hi speed ovals.
    SMS failed in making their AI oval compatible in pCars, so obviously it is not that easy.
    Then we'd still miss cars. Is all this effort really worth it for one race? In my opinion not. As someone else stated in the recent ovals track - to do oval racing justice, that would require a game in the game. Rather than that I'd love to see updated flags, a safety car, full course yellow, better ai... etc etc first

7. -nOiSe-

-nOiSe- Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I'm agrre and I think the same about Lausitzring.
    It's also true that R3E doens't consider oval racing and oval tracks, to play this there are a lot of games, but they could be useful to to have a complete racing experience. Also don't forget we have Indy Cars now and they usually run in oval tracks.

Also it would be nice to have Brands Hatch F1 layout. I know this track was build for a car pack (sorry I didn't remember wich... XD ), but F1 layout is damn cool... :laughing::tearsofjoy:

8. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Also on ovals, indy cars use a different aridynamic kit, which make them look veyr different, I suppose that would take extra work to create a customizable car, or develope another serie of liveries. Which I doubt possible.

• Creative Creative x 1
  9. -nOiSe-

-nOiSe- Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes... I didn't realized it...