iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Name:
    iRacing (original: iRacing.com)
    Genre: Automobile Racing Simulation
    Period: Race Cars Since 1967
    Playable: Stock Cars (Legends, Street Stock, Modified, Late Model, NASCAR Cup & GN & Truck), Open Wheel Cars (Sprint Car, Indycar, Formula One, … ), Prototype Cars (GTP, DP, LMP1, … ), Touring Cars / Sports Cars (GTO, GT3, GTE, … )
    Platform(s): PC
    Released: 2008
    Developer: iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations
    Publisher: iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure S3 is discussing that topic as well - suppose the main issue would be to implement it in a way low & medium specs PC's could handle it without falling off the grid so to say ..
    Btw. Iracing is a sim that from the looks surely would raise my interest if there wasn't that pricing concept and of course Oval/Nascar Racing - but that's what Papyrus has grown up with of course....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    A dynamic track surface is a feature which should definitively be somewhere on timeline for every simracing developer. But this needs time to do it right. I don't see this feature in a near future in R3E, but i'm sure it will come ...someday. Lets add some missing basic features first (e.g. load/save car setups).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Fall Sale 50% off all new memberships with more new content

12 cars such as Indycar, NASCAR or V8 Supercars and 14 tracks such as Daytona or Lime Rock Park included.

http://www.iracing.com/membership/

Seem like a good deal.

5. Daniel Surridge

Daniel Surridge Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Not as good as you might think, the new cars and tracks in the base package are basically the "circa" cars and tracks, the ones no longer used in any official series.
    Although i believe there will be one or two new series added to make use of them the series wont cover all of the "new" content

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you.

more information:

7. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    ......and you need to put in a lot of hours to grind your way out of Rookie Class. But the rookie MX-5 is fun to drive and I'm starting to enjoy the big ovals ( the small ones are a crash fest, you'll gain no points there). The new free cars have "fun" series, which you can race in and not worry about losing points ( try the Dalllara at Laguna Seca, its very good. The Nascar truck is pretty good too.)
    Go for the 3 months at 50% and give it a try. Be aware of your SR and drive cautiously, make sure to finish, even if you are miles behind............and look out for maniacs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dale Junior

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    nice video about the "The Nürburgring" by iRacing

• Like Like x 1
  9. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Had iracing for a year now and no matter how many times I try it we just don't get on, have absolutely no idea what the car is going to do from one corner to the next, just can't get 'em to handle right and still got another soddin year left after picking up a cheap 2 year deal :(
    The tracks and cars are way to expensive IMO reminds me of Microsoft flight sim, cost the world to buy the world!

10. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    I signed up for iRacing weekend before last and was planning to buy the Ring and a couple of cars, but then there was that almost 3 day outage. Scared me off of it.

11. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    For me, iRacing is prohibitively expensive and this is the sole reason why I have yet to try it. There's just no point because however good it may be as a racing sim, I simply cannot justify the cost. A monthly fee on top of paying for content. It's a repellent business model in my opinion. But hey, what do I know? It's a hugely successful product and is clearly the benchmark for online racing.

Cost aside, I find iRacing's content to be uninspiring and limited for my taste. Plus, with no real offline component to speak of, it's really not the product for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    There working on an offline mode for testing and when theres maintenance time. As for the 3 day outage, that was random but also because a big change in there backend structure was taking place. For the 7 years ive known iRacing, its pretty solid and streamlined.

13. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    You know, The Nurb' made me launch iRacing for the first time in a few months, and I got to say, that's a mighty fine job. And I'm actually having fun now with the new tyre model (that I did not test before).

BUT: now that I sometimes launch a quick session on the Nord' for a quick few laps...
    ... I will never, ever again complain about R3E loading times :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    So I finally got a chance to try it out yesterday (in some official races) and I enjoyed it. I find I'm enjoying the Oval Content as much as the Road stuff. The trucks are just a flat out blast to drive (much as they were in NR2003) and so is the late model. I'm not crazy about the Mazda for the road racing stuff but my safety rating is almost to 3 already on both so no more rookie stuff soon enough.

15. haik

haik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Nice start!

Remember that to get promoted, you need a SR of 3.0 at the end of the season (although there may be two promotion dates for Rookies if I recall correctly) OR a SR of 4.0 at any moment (FastTrack) AND have run enough official races/time-trials (either 4 races or 4 time-trials for upper licences, only either 2 races or 4 TT for Rookies)

• Like Like x 1
  16. r-r-public

r-r-public Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I've never played iRacing and I think I'll never do. But one thing is fascinating to me every time I watch some short YouTube footage of it: It looks damn realistic! Sure, it has not the prettiest graphics, but either external or in cockpit, is has this realistic feel and perfect lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I saw that Steam had a sale for a year of iRacing for $25. It meant starting a new account but oh well. I hadn't bought anything on the other account yet, so I'm back to 2.5 again for safety rating. I had both of em up to above 3. Now that I know I have it for a year, let the buying frenzy begin. I'm thinking about buying the BMW GT3, Nords, Road America, and MoSport. I know it will be quite a while before I can race the GT3 officially, but I can run some hosted stuff with it and be prepared for when I can drive it officially. I think my goal is to end up in GT3 and stop oval stuff at the Truck Series. I have a blast with them in the Pickup races and always enjoyed them in NR2003.

It's a lot of fun. I thought I'd be an iRacing hater but found a 3 month free code (which I'll gladly post here if I can find it again, so you can try it for yourself). With the two rookie leagues (Mazda and Late models), you don't have to buy anything. There's also some fun cup stuff that's a blast (but has no impact on iRating and Safety Rating) which includes the NASCAR trucks and the older Dallara Indycar. Granted those are both oval cars so I understand not a lot of folks care much for oval racing, but they're a heck of a lot of fun.

18. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Downloading atm. We'll see...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    And this morning, I'm now class D on ovals and road!!! If it's ok, I'll post some questions in a bit but for now, I'm going to bask in the glory

20. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Awesome please post what you think Gerbuho and if I can be of any help please ask.

• Like Like x 1