iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I will have a look at that and see if it improves at all... It is quite ridiculous that the biggest and most expensive sim needs external apps to deal with the most basic requirement of a driving game though. If r3e ever got a working matchmaking system it would be light years ahead.......

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Hm weird. I´m really happy with the FFB in iR. Awesome road feedback (Just compare Laguna Seca in iR and RR) and no oscilation problems.

3. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I might be weird, but I really don't understand why people (i.e. on reddit) are praising this, like it is something revolutionary. It is certainly progress over what it is currently in IRacing, but it looks like it is the same what we have in most sims today. That is indestructible core with bits that can get deformed, or fly off. I.e. in the skipies crashes, nothing ever happened to the engine cover or nose structure. Just front/rear wing flew off.... and all sims have atleast that.

Considering the hype the new damage model has created, I've hoped something atleast the level of Dirt Rally 2, where the entire structure can get grotesquely mangled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    iRacing has by far the best suspension and underbody damage system and it will only get better with the new system. A couple years ago i had a crash in the Mazda and the suspension stuff was so deformed that the front left wheel got actually stuck in the wheel arch. Never seen anything like this in any other sim.

5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What wheel are you using? T300 is better than my old g27 on iracing. I get that they shy away from effects such as kerb rumble, which is fine, but for me the lack of those things just disconnects me from the car. I have a basic shaker setup so I do get vibrations through but compared to r3e it just doesn't convince me enough to keep me interested....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    Fanatec CSR. So you don´t even get curb rumble ?? There must be something wrong. Most important for me is the road feedback and thats state of the art in iR. Just compare Laguna Seca in the Radical.

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I get feeling if I go up a big curb but it's more a bump as it goes up and a bump as it comes off the kerb rather than a rumble or buzz as I am used to. I will experiment some more. There doesn't seem to be much in game adjust ment for ffb....just gain and min force....

8. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    That should be enough imo. I never used that 3rd party iR FFB thing.

9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I know it's not realistic as such, but as we rely on so little feedback in Sims compared to real life I like the extra bits. Each to their own in this respect I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
  11. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Edit: how to disable locked to horizon? I dont want to see car bouncing at all?

Previously i did not know about term locked to horizon and so my question has been edited.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  12. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Gave iracing another go at the weekend and I'm quickly getting drawn into it. I still think the ffb is lacking compared to r3e but I've got my wheel set up quite nicely in it now. Had a few cracking races in the mx5.

Runs smooth as silk on my fairly mediocre pc, has day night cycle, brilliant online racing, skins, scheduled racing....what's not to like??? Apart from the sodding cost.... I'll stick with it for a month or two and see how it goes.

Need to get my licence up but will probably race the ferrari fixed or TCR going forward....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I've spent some time with iRacing fiddling with the FFB and other setting. Bought couple of cars and tracks. I have mixed feelings about iRacing. I love their online structure and license system. Brilliant stuff and whish we could have this system in Raceroom. As for the graphics, i think acceptable. Night racing looks fantastic. The physics are pretty good too or should I say belivable.
    iRacing FFB has nothing existing to offer for me personally. Its just like meh...i dont know. I really dont know what to say about ffb? In comparison, Raceroom FFB for me personally is like being injected with andrenalin and i love it.
    I will continue to play iRacing as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Agree completely. Raceroom cars just feel more "alive" in comparison to iracing cars. I think r3e tracks look better too, iracing looks a bit drab in comparison but yes the night racing is great. I hope one day we can get an online structure like iracing.....and then attract enough new users to make it work....

I have to say about the ffb...it definitely lacks depth, you can tell what the car is doing but you never feel like you can grab hold of the car and really push it like in r3e..... that said, I do feel that in r3e some cars are too forgiving, gt3s particularly. I have a basic tactle setup which adds in the missing kerb and bump etc so that does make iracing ffb at least livable with for me. Not sure I could race it without that though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Online iRacing like structure would be GOLD. We could see clean races

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    For the same reason people praise expensive wine and golden cables :) It's expensive, it must be good. Not good, best!

I do not mind iRacing, it is nice game, polished, developed set of rules, good VR support, but I am not a fan of content there and some things already available in other sims are still missing. But with rain, flat spots and AI coming it might become interesting. Though I am much more looking forward to improvements in R3E.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I
    I'd rather see some options for more aggressive FFB rather than damage model.

19. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Does iRacing have FFB gear shifting effects or engine vibe?

20. Sosruko

Sosruko Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Neither at least with default ffb settings.