iRacing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dale Junior, Jul 3, 2015.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully. This sounds incredible. Start the engine of the M8, kick in the pit speed Limiter, roll into that: Wow. Step of the throttle: Wow, go off: wow.

THIS sounds like a many hundred PS big fat steel pig pushing your ass around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I grabbed Donnington and the 911 GT3 cup car last night.

Donnington is ok. It's based from a few years ago so lots of scenery has changed, but the track itself is solid. What suprised me the most was the subtle changes in sunlight as the clouds rolled in/out, particularly when you're at the top of the Craner curves. There was something beautifully subtle and convincing in how they've done that.

The car is astounding though. The interior details in VR are the best I think I've seen to date, and the sound/feel of the thing is top drawer. What's really grabbing me about iRacing so far is that, sure, you can hop in a new car and trundle around a track, but it's clearly going to take some time/committment to really learn that car and get the best out of it.

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's some car isn't it! I just can't get enough of it. Easy on the brakes so it doesn't lock and get the power on and drive it around the turns. It's always on the edge but feels like you can push it around a bit.

Re the AI. I turned it up a bit and they do start getting pretty racey! In fact I forgot I was driving against AI.

The FFB is good enough that you can jump in and drive. There are some features of RR that I miss in it, the feel going over kerbs for example, but on the flip side it feels better than RR through my seat shaker.

They tyres could do with having a big more lateral slip before they let go, that's always been an iracing thing though.

The light effects are great, sunset is stunning and driving into the night is just fantastic.
    All in all I'm loving it, after many tries it's finally clicked for me. My aim is to concentrate on a couple of cars, namely the 911 cup amd the TCR and take it from there.

4. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    The end of the Fogarty Straight before the chicane keeps catching me out there - I don't feel the lock coming, so it just grabs, and chucks me off.. I guess the track being on a slight decline doesn't help?

5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What pedals are you using? I have some load cells so it's easier to modulate the brakes. Unlike a GT3 spec car where I slam on and let the abs sort it out I find I'm only using about half the available pressure. Looking at others driving the car online that's similar to how they do it. Ease the brakes on and let the car flow

6. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Clubsport V3s. I was quickly learning last night to only use ~60% of the pressure, but it just felt a bit odd compared to what I've become used to (Your GT3 example being case in point..).

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it seems that's the way to do it with this car, and it makes sense. No real downforce, low weight on the front and no abs, it naturally wants to lock up. I found moving the brake bias to 50% helps balance the car too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Did the AI car/track list change over the last few days?

https://www.iracing.com/how-to-use-iracing-ai/

Amongst others, the cars include the Audi TCR and the 718 GT4, and the tracks now have some belters with Road Atlanta (my favourite), BH GP, and Barcelona.

I'm sure that list was way more limited when I checked just the other day.

Edit: In answer to my own question; I think it did? 'Season 2 patch 4' was only a couple of days ago.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    BHGP was definitelty there as ive been racing it a few days. And the 718. Not sure about the TCR.

10. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
  11. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
  12. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've gone back to iRacing in the last few weeks, some cars are worse than others....The 911 cup feels great and you can acually get little drifts going through corners if you push it. But the GT3 class is terrible. It feels like all they need to do is change the slip curve so grip drops off more gradually, rather than the cliffe edge that it is now. You know how stubborn they are with their "amazing" tyre model though..... Hopefully the recent high profile critisism will make them address the issues

14. William Richardson

William Richardson Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Their has been all kinds of professional race car drivers having meltdowns over iracing. Most of us have no idea how real the driving is or is not, so I guess its good to have experts voice their opinion. If nothing else, its pretty entertaining at times.

15. Andy Kettler

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    True.

I just experienced that couple weeks ago at Oulton Park with the archived Holden Commodore 2014 which already had the NTMv7 tire update back then. I have never driven such V8 Supercar car or such a high hp + low df + no assists car in iR so I really expected to end up in the fences a couple times but what actually happened was that i that car track combo blow me away. I think i never had so much fun in iRacing lol. Steering, FFB, physics so the cars overall behavior and the feeling of perfect control it gave me everywhere around that narrow, bumpy track especially when exiting corners with a easy to control slide + and all that in iR ? It was just unbelievable and also resulted in a over 8sec faster laptime than in AMS2 ^^

And it was because of my first test of that car track combo in AMS2 that i decided to compare it in iR. At first i thougt that car, ffb, physics are good and fun in AMS2 but it looked not so great anymore after that session in iR :D

Btw: Pro Driver Chris Zoechling watched and commented on the video from Niels H. on stream a couple hours ago:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/608905767?t=04h30m50s

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It seems like everyone is saying the same thing. My feeling is that iRacing err towards this type of behaviour as by its nature it encourages the driver to stay under the limit, which in turn leads to safer racing (maybe). If you swap between the Raceroom 911 cup car and the iracing version there are significant differences with the way the FFB feels. RR has a strong self aligning torque which does help you to get the car straightened after/during a slide as you can feel where the car want to go. I find in iracing that isnt there, so its very easy to overcorrect a slide. What I've done with several cars in iRacing is add a significant amount of FFB damping in the game (80% in the 911 cup for example), now if I were to say that on the iR forums i'd get flamed for sure....but heres the thing....adding that weight to the steering instantly makes the car feel more natural and although you lose some of the little ripples in the road I find the car is much easer to contol as the tyres start to move a bit. Its perhaps not the fastest way to drive the car but then I'm never going to be the fastest driver anyway....its all about having the most fun for me.

I've become a little jaded towards RR recently, the base of a brilliant game is there....the cars on the ground are as good as any in any sim, but everything that goes around it is letting it down. The multiplayer side. The difficulty in setting up private servers. The laggy backend etc etc. I've got a new baby so my sim time is severely limited now, I want something where I can jump into a scheduled race and know what the car track combo will be. I find only iRacing is doing that for me at the moment. Oh and I like being able to customise my car livery too.....

17. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
  18. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
  19. heppsan

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0