Is it possible to disable the crowd/flag waving ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slackest of Pandas, May 11, 2021.

1. Slackest of Pandas

Slackest of Pandas New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I die a little inside every time I see the badly animated flag wavers in the crowd. It looks like they are waving the flag at about 5fps regardless of how well the games running.

I thought disabling trackside animations might disable it but seems not. Is it possible to remove it ? It looks really sloppy/poor imo and its quite distracting as well whilst also ruining immersion rather than improving it (when do you ever see multiple people waving a random single colour flag all in unison for every single lap of a race ????). If it looked less laggy then it might not be so jarring to look at but the animation is really low quality to the point where you wonder how it ever got included.

ACC has them as well and it looks terrible in that game as well (although it looks a little smoother in ACC). Its like devs think it somehow brings the atmosphere to life but it doesn't, it just looks like half arsed and would be visually more impressive without them.

Other than that im enjoying my first time playing the sim in years, improved a lot... just kill the flag wavers already :p

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Yep it's in the graphics options under track animations, old man trying to remember without looking mind, defo track animations though, you may just have to look for it.

3. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have the track animations turned off and the crowd are still going rogue and waving those damn flags !

4. Zackmchack

Zackmchack New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I try to imagine how you do your laps. Are you even trying to go faster?

5. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes I can drive plenty fast, I have a few world records on Assetto Corsa and 7k irating on iRacing so im fully aware of how to drive well in a sim. Im more surprised that you think its impossible to notice these things whilst driving fast... its a very jarring animation that is very hard to not notice. Cheers for the needless dig though

6. Zackmchack

Zackmchack New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If your attention is on audience flags while driving, I don't think you have set your priorities well.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well I just found another thread moaning about it from 2016 so seems its not just me who has mastered the god tier skill of noticing your surroundings whilst driving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. WeamDreaver

WeamDreaver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted to make a thread about those 5-fps-flags too.
    It's even more noticable when watching replays. Am I allowed to enjoy replays or is it also the wrong priority?

In it's current state I'd rather have no flags at all.

• Like Like x 1
  9. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    That reminds me of a video of Austin Ogonoski where he was talking about the various distractions around real race tracks that are actually much more distracting than the few crowd flags that our sims feature.

10. WeamDreaver

WeamDreaver New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's not about distraction, it's about immersion.

11. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    It is possible to disable, I know I did it once for the same reasons stated here - I just can't remember how I did it. :(

Perhaps set track details to medium or low? As far as I can remember this has nothing to do with graphics quality, but rather the number of trackside objects.

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    It is possible to turn them off but then your eyes and brain bleed...
    Set quality to lowest

Andi

13. Slackest of Pandas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks I shall give this a go although I imagine from your comments it will make the graphics look like they have been rendered by a potato.

Shame they cant just make it linked to track animations or perhaps have a crowd off/on setting like iRacing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. LabPong

LabPong New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you cant understand the situation the person is trying to work out.....your comments are useless and you are just bullying and add nothing to the forum/thread except poor civics. But thank you for your opinion....now we know not to read much into any of your posts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1