Released January update - Road America has been released

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think the AI is much better racing along side me through corners and seems to not pinch me on straights as much. I haven't seen as many AI vs AI battles, but I've only run a few races.

The Porsche GT3 doesn't sound any different to me, but maybe its subtle. I was hoping the transmission noise would be fixed to match overall top speed instead of gear dependence, but maybe that is still coming.

Overall, really appreciate the patch notes and updates though. Let's get that VR shadows thing fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MrBones22

MrBones22 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Nice! I was curious about the amount of lift off oversteer in the class before, as it was quite severe in a couple of the cars...I learned how to tune it out, but was surprised how much tuning (from the default setup) it took to get rid of. I thought maybe that's how the cars were in real life, but anyhow, good to see it addressed.

I also bought the Premium pack in December, and assumed ahead of time that the Porsche pack would probably come out shortly after, and that it obviously wouldn't be included...So it was either: buy the premium now (holiday sale) for $50 us, and pay for the Porsche pack when it comes out, or: wait until that pack is released, and then buy the premium pack at the normal price, which I think is about $68. I think I ended up saving a bit by doing the former, (and not buying all the liveries, just the ones I like). Sooner or later you've got to jump in, or you'll forever be waiting for "the next pack"...sort of like me and my old PC...I've been waiting on the "next big thing" for years now, and somehow I still have this old turd, while tons of great hardware has passed me by :laughing: Oh well, at least it can (barely) handle triple screen...

And now I'm off to buy Road America and bust out some laps!

• Like Like x 2
  3. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi

Does this "equal the field" make them more like the real world cars, or less? because If in reality X car has more power than the others, It should be like so. Same goes for every other car characteristic.

4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Real life BoP is dynamic; power, weights and other factors change on a race-per race basis.
    For example car X is quoted at 1200kg and 550bhp by the manufacturer.

Following the official BoP test, the ACO may declare it has to be:
    1210kg and 510bhp at tracks category A,
    1250kg and 490bhp at category B circuits,
    and
    1200kg, 500bhp and 10mm higher ground clearance at category C circuits.

Therefore, you can't definitively say what any GT3 car's performance numbers are, although we can take an average. Power isn't quoted in that way either of course, it's done with inlet restrictors which have different effects on different engines.

We don't have the ability (yet) to dynamically change BoP. So we have to figure out something which, when we take in to account average lap time over different circuit types, produces something balanced.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Hygge

Hygge Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Just had a great race at Sepang in GT3 at 105% ai. Must say that I'm impressed by the ai. Definitely can't agree with the above - the leader position was switched several times every lap. The cars that I passed fought back and passed me in the next turn if I made the slightest mistake.

I was praising the big ai update in the last months of the year but then thought the ramming got worse in the latest updates. Now it seems fine again. As I said before my only gripe is that they are too easy to pass at the end of long straights. Experienced this now on the back straight at Sepang and it's the same thing at the end of the long straight at Hockenheim. But I guess that it's hard to code an ai thatbreak late into corners but won't ram you. I prefer an ai that don't ram you as it completely ruins every race but I hope they will find a recipe that don't make the ai so easy to pass in the breaking zones.

But to conclude - Raceroom is fantastic as a race simulator - not just a hotlapping game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Got it, thanks.

If some particular car has some particularly odd behavior in real life, i'd like to experience it in the sim as well, and bop changes in the name of "racing balance" is a common term on make believe games such as COD of Battlefield, usually stealing something from somewhere. But cars are life based and i'd like to see handling/performance changes explained when possible.

I always thought the balances were gathered based on oficial drivers feedback and numbers.

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Indeed they are, but we can still slow down or speed up a car without changing it's handling characteristics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RampageRacing

RampageRacing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    They have BoP in real life racing as well. In almost any class that mixes manufacturers and models, it is necessary to make adjustments to cars in order to provide competitive racing thus BoP becomes a thing. It is hated by many racing fans and pointed to anytime their favorite marque gets trounced but without it everyone would gravitate to the most competitive model and all the other manufacturers would quit. Just about the only places where BoP does not exist is Spec racing where everyone drives the same car. BoP is a necessary evil (or blessing) for anyone that wants to enjoy auto racing that pits many manufacuters and models against one another in a head to head competition.

Sim racing just imitates real life.

9. Raceforfun09

Raceforfun09 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    "Crazy AI with the January update"

"AI - AI cars now embark varying amount of fuel in practice and qualify sessions. AI - Improved their pitstop strategy decisions (starting fuel, number of stops) "

AI Cars just roll out, on the track, stand on the track, next to the track and so on crazy AI.

See Video

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. RampageRacing

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    That was weird.

I am new here. How do you get the dash display in the bottom right of the screen? Is that an in game setting or do you another program to duplicate it there?

11. Raceforfun09

Raceforfun09 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. RampageRacing

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Hey, thanks. I am picking things up bit by bit but answers like this save me a lot of experimenting when I could be driving. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Question.
    I try to open Lausitzring GP and it opens Brands Hatch.
    Is it bug? If it is can You fix it.
    thx,

14. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The update didn't download correctly for you, delete a file in the RaceRoom Steam folder and validate your files in Steam, then it should work.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I still think the AI made a clear step backwards, and I do not like this step backwards. Its tamer, does nto fight as determined anymore, and like others in other places also noted, it falls back earlier and more willingly once you overtook it. The grim fighting does not take place thta much anymore, the iron will of the AI has had one tooth too much getting pulled.

Give me back the version before. What there is now, is inferior in quality. I want it to try fighting back once it got passed, and with more determination again, like before.

And I want to see it more rumbling against other AI cars again, which was so great to see before.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely cannot second that. In the GT3 (110%) and Porsche Cup (105%) races I had, the AI was far from tame and did not pull back. I had to fight hard to keep my position or gain a position and had some really nice wheel to wheel fights through various subsequent turns. As said before, I think the problem with your AI is, that it is set rather low. Raise them and you will see them fighting ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Wow that video was crazy. I've never seen them act like that before.

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I witnessed a weird AI behaviour at the new Lausitzring GP layout.

I had a 15 minute race without mandatory pitstop.

AI was set to 105 and I had a long fight with the two cars in front of me (I was 3rd) but 3 minutes before race end one of them pitted. The other one pitted the next lap. And looking in the mirror it seemed that every car pitted near the end of the race and I won with a 40 seconds gap.
    Something seems wrong here. Do they start with not enough fuel or are they too much worried about tire wear? I mean, it was only 2 laps before race end.

19. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Gr.A physics update? Or is that coming after the multiclass singleplayer update? :D

"Saleen S7R - Gearbox is now properly marked as sequential" - That's great, but the thing still drives like a boat. Like most of the old stuff. This one somehow drives worse than it did in GTR2 and GTR Evo. Remarkable.

Can't get enough GT3 updates though. The suckiest GT cars in the history get the attention of every developer. Or is that just the brands ordering what to put and what not?

20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    supply and demand

most popular stuff gets the most dev attention..

• Agree Agree x 2