Problem lag when itting an object

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by 247, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    So...the game run quite well on my pc...i can run almost all the time with 25/30 fps (ok it's not that much but it's enough to enjoy the game without problems) but when I hit something (like a wall for example) the game suddenly lag either in sp or mp...and it's the same when touching a car, so doing a door to door battle is quite annoying sometime due to this problem...my pc is just a little higher than minimum specs so it could be just a lack of performances...but this thing started happening since 2 or 3 update ago...anyway to solve this?something the devs should look at?(apart for obviously lower my details which already are almost all on low and even with lowering more the situation is always the same)

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I've been testing settings extensively and found the same thing to happen to me when I exceeded the capabilities of my gpu.
    The game can even run at constant 60 fps, but when making contact there'll be instant micro-stutters.
    It also appears to be an AMD problem, at least it is way more prominent with AMD cards, sadly.

There are a few things you can try:

1) Disable damage. I know it's a bit of a bummer to have no damage, but it will most likely cure the issue if the game otherwise runs smooth-ish. This was actually when I first encountered it: No stuttering without damage, stuttering as soon as I enabled damage.

2) Disable all the really taxing video options in the custom settings.
    a) Shadows, especially car shadows and shadow split, are very ressource hungry. You should disable those. You can however use contact shadows, to avoid the look of cars floating. (Note that you can disable shadows and still have contact shadows, the first shadow setting affects only ambient shadows, like on trackside objects.)
    b) Disable specular, track animations, motion blur, bloom, and set reflections to low.
    c) Reduce the number of visible cars.

3) Run the game in a lower resolution.

Hope this helps solve the issue.

Cheers

Christian

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  3. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Thx for your answer...:)
    I just have an AMD card...what a luck...

1 how do I disable damage?

2 my settings details already are everything on minimum or disabled except for car textures which is on medium and shaders that is on medium too...no shadows no antialiasing or other settings enabled...anyway lowering the settings does not help me...situation is identical except of course for details that are lowered

3 I just have the choice between 2 resolution and unfortunately one of these completely stretch the screen but will try...

Maybe the core game need some sort of optimization other than your useful tips? :)
    I know that it's a completely different engine and physics but it seems weird to me that I can run grid autosport better than raceroom...

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, Grid is a fantastic looking game considering its age.

You can chose the damage model when setting up a race in Get Real mode.
    2015-09-14 1814 0001.jpg
    If you're using amateur mode then I'm afraid the game is already running without damage and there's not much you can do, other than reducing settings even further or upgrading your gpu.
    Most MP servers have damage enabled, but the default ones run by raceroom usually don't.

Not sure if there's anything the devs could do about it, looks more like a driver issue, which means AMD would be the one who could do something about it.

5. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    i usually race with get real so damage is enabled...i just forgot it was there :)
    unfortunately my gpu is too old and latest drivers are from some years ago so if this not solve my problem i shoult stick with it atm
    anyway i'm talking about grid autosport which was out this year if i well remember...r3e is a much older i think :)

Edit: sadly disabling the damage completely solve the problem...thx for helping me...i hope anyway some sort of optimization in the future could help me more since online damages are always on (and anyway it a pity to race with damage off :) )