Lapped IA doesn't know it ... (blue flags!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by le_poilu, Aug 31, 2015.

1. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Hi

It seems that IA doesn't know when you overlap it in a race.
    I did a 30min SP race in Brands Hatch (a short track), and as I was leading I catch up on the last. I had to fight to overtake the last... Worst : we had contact and I was pushed outside the track.
    After that I saw that the first IA wasn't able to overtake the last. They fought as normal, allowing me to catch up the head of the race because the first was slow down by the last

Would be great to give the IA a minimum of awareness when they are lapped by the firsts driver and let them pass. A first step to the missing Blue Flags.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WozzaUK

WozzaUK Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    This would be awesome but as far as I am aware NO sim currently does it, which is a huge shame.

3. Duke49th

Duke49th New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not true. Several does it. Funny is that other Simbin racing Simulations already have it. For example GTR2 knows blue and yellow flags.

Edit: But I agree...it should be in the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  4. kris_peeters

kris_peeters Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The Grand Prix series had the best AI ever ( GP4 is over ten years old now!!!). There the AI could slipstream and overtake properly, they would defend their position, they acknowledged blue flags, had proper strategies and mechanical failures (you could choose from a list which ones you wanted activated or not) just like the player and they made random mistakes from time to time. I've not played a game with AI anywhere near the level of the GP series.
    So it's not only a shame but even a bit embarrassing that after more then ten years, no other "racing SIM" has ever come close to the AI level of GP4.
    I truly hope S3S can break the impasse and bring us the kind of AI the GP series had.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    In multi-class racing , my understanding is its up to the faster car to overtake the slower and the slower has no obligation to give way to lapping cars. This must make coding AI and blue flags more complicated. GTR2 includes blue flags but I'm not convinced the AI take any notice - I suspect the blue flags are really aimed at the player.

GP4 is often put forward as the pinnacle of AI, but I recently watched a GP4 race on you-tube and the AI didn't seem that brilliant. Nothing wrong with it but not the miracle AI I have read about.

It is much easier to code AI for cars which perform similarly such as in GP4. Most modern sims come with a range of cars with greatly differing performance, which must make it harder to code good AI. When cars with greatly differing performance race together the task is even harder. For this reason, GT Legends AI always impressed me.

But the other rule concerning AI is that no two people will experience the same thing when racing the AI - some will think its great and others that its poor. I am certainly not the last of the late brakers but have rarely experienced AI hitting me during braking in GTL or GTR2 when I often read this as a complaint from other people.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  6. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    The rule is pretty much the same on any racing discipline (AFAIK... it can be different in oval racing), with or without multi class :
    When a faster car overlap a slower one (then when marshals present a blue flag), the slower one should keep on it's line and not block in anyway the fastest car. It's up to the fastest car to make the movement (cause it come from behind), slower car need to stay on it's line to facilitate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    please stop say the old sims have it with every thread. they have to completely rebuild everything cause they game is completely reworked.

8. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Yep, at least in Nascar, blue flag (with orange stripe) is more or less a courtesy and warning flag for cars being lapped more than a strict rule to give room for lapping car. For example, it is very common that cars which are being lapped first time fight to the end to stay on the same lap with the leader and thus aren't necessary easy ones to overtake for the leader. Being on the same lap with leader gives you an advantage for pitting during cautions (able to pit during same lap with cars on the leading lap) or then gain back one lap through lucky dog rule if car is last one being lapped (that is having highest position with -1 laps). Also, if there are several cars battling each other while being lapped, they might create more or less nasty traffic to pass. So, as you said, blue flag can be very different for oval racing.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    yeah id say less than half racing series actually have blue flags, even f1 used to imply the courtesy rules until recently.

10. le_poilu

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0

Flags are under FIA rules, all track series under FIA regulation use the same rules about BF. It's no different if you're in F1 or 2CV race :p

But some series use it more often than other because overlapped car is way more common in a WEC race than in a GP2 race.

And there's 2 different situation: the test session (practice or Quali) and the race sessions. Rules are a little bit different in Test session (there BF is mostly to say : "somebody quicker is coming behind").