Question Laptop cooler

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Nico Kunze, May 30, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Should probably post this in the off topic section but want the question banner :D
    So with my laptop not being the greatest piece of hardware and summer getting closer im thinking about getting a cooler such as this one:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B019IU5HI2/ref=psdcmw_430112031_t1_B0774LZNQX
    First of all does performance definitely get worse when your laptop gets hot (seems rather obvious but just to be sure :D)? Second of all do these coolers make a significant difference? If anybody has experience with them id be very interested in hearing how it worked for them. And just to give you an idea of how my laptop performs temperature wise i downloaded "core temp", ran about 20-25 minutes in a multiplayer session with roughly 10 cars and ended up with the following data. Dont really know what it all means but close to 100 degrees sounds rather hot to me :D
    Any input (except for get a proper pc ;D) is appreciated :)

2. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Anybody? :D

3. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I had a laptop that would turn itself off when working over time during the summer months, (not playing games, it was video rendering and big downloads). I got a device similar to what you have and yes it does cool things down a fair bit. I dont remember any data as it was a few years ago.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    So just in case anybody stumbles across this in the future ill update this :D
    Have now gotten the one from the link above and cant really say im convinced. Saved me 4 degrees on max temperature on both cores but thats about it. Certainly not enough for me to notice any kind of increased performance. Thinking about returning this one and trying another one but maybe my laptop just cant be helped :D

5. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    @ducman888 did you delete your answer or did it magically disappear? :D

6. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hey, since 2014 I have a MSI Gaming Notebook. At the beginning I played a few other genre and from 2015 mainly Raceroom. The MSI reached every time after a short time his peak around 100 degrees. From time to time I clean his fan, nothing more. Never had any problems with it. But sure, it's a gaming notebook, they are build for such a high temperature.

Hope that helps :)

Regards
    Seb

7. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    My cousin once bought a cooling pad like yours for his laptop and came to the same conclusion: it barely helps keeping the temperatures low. I personally think it's more producers of such devices trying to convince people they need it, even though it makes almost no difference