Limited Sale on Oculus Rift --> now unlimited

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m.bohlken, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    A new cockpit/rig or VR....
    What's the normal price of it?
    I know the Vive is +/- 800€...

2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    the normalprice for the Rift was 549€ for the Headset + 119€ for the Touch-Controller-Set - so 668€

• Like Like x 1
  3. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    And do you think it's good enough to buy now of wait for a second generation ?

4. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    That pretty much depends on your expectations.
    IMO it is good enough to buy now if your PC is capable for it already.

After reading some reviews and opinions I was expecting a much worse result and much worse screen-door-effect than I actually noticed after using the headset the fist time. When I concentrate on the game I really don't notice it anymore.
    The immersion of it is sensational. It's a bit strange that I become the feeling that the hands and arms that are visible in the game are really my hands and arms...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I have a GTX 970, so it should be compatible...

Thanks for your opinion ;)

6. DerHek

DerHek Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your tip , Had a trip to Germany today ,and I got one!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    glad to hear... in many shops the headset is out of stock already. So you seem to be a bit lucky that you've found one. Your trip wasn't conincidently in Oldenburg?

8. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Insane. Totally insane.

I took a ride about 30 mins in AC. After this 30 min there was a very annoying fly on my neck. As i tryed to push here away with my left hand, i realy thought (just a moment of course) "Whats wrong now, i put my hand on my neck and its still on the wheel."

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Matej Lakota

Matej Lakota Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, out of stock in my case and it will be deliver after 2th of August. I don t mind too much, because I need to change GPU also (GTX 970 now) and as I can hear around, new nVidia 20xx in on the way, so I will probably wait a bit with my 1080 buy to see what is going on on the green side.

10. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    yeah - better stick with it for a few month as the 970 isn't that bad for R3E.
    Buying a new Graphics-card isn't a very good idea at the moment as the prices are rediculous at the moment due to the Ethereum-Mining. The prices are going down at the moment so I guess the normal price-level for graphics-cards will be reached in a few weeks - but as you statet, the new nVidia isn't that far away then...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Is a Facebook account needed? (and does it work when you block facebook domains in de host file?)
    Thanks

12. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    A Facebook-Account isn't needed, but you must create an Oculus-Account.
    I'm not sure what will happen, when Facebook-Domains are blocked. I guess it will work, aslong you will not try Facebook spaces for sure.

13. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    If some of you considered buying an Oculus Rift but missed the Summer-Sale from July to early September here maybe a good news for you.
    On yesterdays Oculus Dev-Summit, Oculus announced the permanent pricedrop for the Oculus Rift + Touch-Controler to 449€ or 399$.
    Most stores, as the oculus-store also did, have already updated the prices for that Set.

• Like Like x 2
  14. boskapongen

boskapongen Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
  15. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  16. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yeah guys get it ! Get it ! The more of you buy it know the sooner the prices will go down and I gladly will buy that stuff for peanuts compared to today :)

Thx in advance :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think the VR unit itself is not so expensive. 450 Euros are relatively cheap compared to other simracing hardware. The ‚problem‘ is, that you need a powerful GPU, like a GTX1080 and this is another 600 Euro investment.

Nevertheless I think that now is perhaps the worst time to buy a VR headset. The Microsoft VRs are on their way and around christmas/new year the Samsung Odyssey will arrive. So I’m waiting to replace my DK2 until the end of the year... reading some reviews of the headsets and then go for one... this is also my advise, waiting for the MS VRs to pop up.

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I'll do my very best ^^ if nobody would, no dev-Team would support it and the technology would die like it did in the 1990s - and that would be sad IMO as we've now reached a state in which the technology can deliver what it needs for an immersive feeling.

For sure, VR isn't that cheap moment, but for those who are interested in that technology and can afford that money the upcoming month would be a good time to jump on VR. The Prices won't drop dramatically in the next 1,5 or 2 years, till the next generation of HMD's will be announced.

The link that @Johnny Turbo Guttman posted is in fact the only reason for the current price-drop of the Rift.

And yeah - if you don't have a HMD yet, I'd (as @Thomas Friedrich did) say wait till the end of this month, when the first Microsoft HMD's will be released and check what they deliver.

19. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Fyi, next gen approaches.

20. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    That's the point and it won't get better due to the future requirements and higher specifications you might need in a few years though, with further developements and enhancements I'm pretty sure you will also get fine results with just a decent (medium) equipment that won't empty your pockets ;) - it just takes time - like bug fixing and car releases here at Sector 3.... :)