Question Limited view angle in cockpit

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Redglyph, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Hello!

I'm wondering whether it's possible to get a further angle limit in the cockpit view, especially when using TrackIR. I find it much more immersive to check the proximity of other cars by quickly looking on the left / right rather than using the mini-map (which is best disabled if you want a realistic race). And also to verify that no car is coming when recovering from a spin, for example.

For now the angle limit is unrealistic, you can't see past 90°, when you turn your head and eyes, you can easily see past 135°. It seems to be the same problem than on pCARS; with Assetto Corsa, on the other hand, it's the opposite, you seem able to unscrew your head off, which is perhaps a tad too much ;)

Did I miss an option, or is it possible by modifying camera files?

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I'm wondering how that would work, do you have monitors behind you?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I dont think the head track is 1-1

4. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, must be, talk about realism. ^^
    There is this other discussion bout situational awareness, where some good points about what a race car driver actually is able to see were made: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...res-and-game-mechanics.495/page-22#post-28554

No disrespect to the op tho, if you would like to have this for whatever reason and it is possible then why not.
    Guess it could be done by editing camera files, but no idea which values would have to be changed.

5. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I can see their view is somewhat limited, good point, though it shouldn't be that hard to move the head a bit to see whether another car is coming on the pit lane before going out for ex. Here we don't actually see the "head cushions" top part of the seat, the view angle just blocks... feels artificial.

They did that pretty well, there's a non-linear amplification of how much you turn your head - actually you can define the curve you want for pitch, yaw and roll angles and x, y, z positions. So if you turn your head 5° it will be the same in the game, but if you turn it 30° it's 90° in the game. It's pretty easy to get used to it, not sure whether you ever tested TrackIR or the like, but I wouldn't do without now :)

6. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I use trackIR also.
    Did not have an issue so far, but maybe you can make the sensitiviy higher for pitch.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Was really just having a little fun, hope that didn't sound off. :)
    Thought it might be an exponential factoring thing...Have never tried it so it's hard to imagine it not feeling weird, but apparently it works, at least for you.

In the driver view camera files there are these lines:

<rightYawLimit type="float32">55.00000000</rightYawLimit>
    <leftYawLimit type="float32">55.00000000</leftYawLimit>
    <downPitchLimit type="float32">20.00000000</downPitchLimit>
    <upPitchLimit type="float32">20.00000000</upPitchLimit>
    <rightRollLimit type="float32">0.00000000</rightRollLimit>
    <leftRollLimit type="float32">0.00000000</leftRollLimit>

Guess those might be what you're looking for, at least concerning the limit? No idea if there's something like the exponential factor in there tho.
    Cam files are in C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\Cars\

8. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    No problem :D
    It's not feeling weird at all, I was also a bit sceptical at first but it's just great. Except one must look a bit weird moving their head in front of a monitor ;)

Thanks a bunch for the camera info, I'll check it out soon!

9. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Nope, that doesn't work, not sure what these files are for then.

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Did you change the values in both, the cockpit_driver_view.xml and the cockpit_driver_view_triple.xml file of the car you were trying it with?
    Other than that I'm afraid I'm out of my league, maybe somebody else knows more.

11. Redglyph

Redglyph Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I did both, as I wasn't sure which was what. I noticed also that up and down pitch were both at 20.0 in the original files, though in the car I can move up to about 30° and down to about 90°.
    Maybe I should mess with it a little bit and see the effects.
    Anyway, thanks for trying, and it won't be a huge deal if that isn't possible right now :)