Question Linux Support

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Pastor_Chris, Mar 14, 2015.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ... and Project Cars 1&2, Automobilista 1&2, rFactor 1&2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, RACE 07, GTR2.... this is the only one that don't work with Wine or Proton, and is a pity, because I believe that what it offers is very different and in many cases better than its competitors. I think that if they don't release a native version of their game, they should at least make it easier for it to work with Proton.

In the meantime I will continue to enjoy AMS2 madly

2. DarkMavrik

DarkMavrik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I forgot about rfactor, gotta go give that a try again.

3. SN8P™

SN8P™ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately one year after the last post nothing has changed.
    I read that the Windows Library 'wininet.dll' is needed from the iexplore Installation but copying that into '~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/raceroom racing experience/Game/x64/wininet.dll' wasn't sufficient.

Still looking forward to see this game running on Linux!

4. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, I believe that the developers of the game have no interest in us or in making the game work on our system.
    We don't even ask for a native version of the game anymore, which should be the norm, but they don't even help us or at least take an interest in making their game, like most games of their kind, work thanks to Wine or Proton. What company is not interested in having a handful of more players/customers?
    I think that like most of the time, we will have to give support ourselves, rather than do it the developers.
    A real shame, really, but that's what we have to do. It seems that our money is worth less than other people's money.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Try installing windows and see if it works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    He comes, the hero of the day...

7. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I just checked and Linux users make up less than 1% of all gamers, likely less than that are sim racers. Do you really think it is worthwhile the devs putting any time and effort into appeasing such a tiny potential user base. The game doesn't run on MacOS, playstation or Xbox either, they aren't complaining. If you want to run hobby OS's then that's your perogative but don't expect others to jump though hoops for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jacob Marshall

Jacob Marshall Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I use Linux at home, I work with Linux, I can't stand Windows, but there's no value for S3 in adding Linux support.

RTS/FPS etc use peripherals that work in Linux, m/kb -controllers etc, you don't have any formal support for simracing peripherals in Linux (to the best of my knowledge).

For the sake of argument, S3 make RRRE workable under Proton, you're then using either a controller or enthusiast level drivers for your peripherals; what percentage of players who use do Linux would use Linux to play RRRE in those circs?

I'd argue you'd end up with a smaller % of an already small %.

As much as I support Linux, if I was the CEO of S3 and someone suggested we add Linux support to the game I'd pivot them to something that adds more value to the game/bottom line...if I'm honest, as a customer I'd rather that 'someone' was working on something that adds value to the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But why not use both though? Windows has been nowhere near as bad as its reputation in the last decade, meanwhile Linux is nowhere near that 'hobby os' as you would think (around three quarters of the world's mobile phones run on Linux, you know, and it still has a significant share in server-side solutions...) and with today's hardware performance, storage and virtualization capabilities, it shouldn't be a problem to use them simultaneously. I know fellow simracers who are working with and using Linux in their private lives as well, hate Windows with all their heart, BUT they have a 'naked' Win10 installed with disabled telemetry exclusively for gaming.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Jacob Marshall , There is no support from the companies, but as always we Linux users manage to support ourselves:
    Utilities:
    https://github.com/berarma/oversteer
    https://gitlab.com/OdinTdh/pyLinuxWheel
    https://github.com/berarma/ffbtools
    Drivers:
    Logitech: https://github.com/berarma/new-lg4ff
    Thrustmaster:
    https://github.com/scarburato/t150_driver/issues
    https://github.com/Kimplul/hid-tmff2
    https://gitlab.com/her0/tmdrv
    FANATEC:
    https://github.com/gotzl/hid-fanatecff

About the state of simracing on Linux, two years ago I wrote a post on reddit with certain success:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/ble2xg/current_state_of_simracing_in_linux/
    Now this state is much better, all the games you can see here have FFB support thanks to the drivers you see at the start of this post , almost all games run directly with Proton from Steam, without using Wine, and performance is much better thanks to DXVK (DX9-10-11 to Vulkan) and VKD3D (DX12 to Vulkan)

If you think you can't enjoy Simracing on Linux, take a look at this channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/leillo1975

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  11. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Balrog , I understand what you are saying, but why not facilitate the use of a compatibility layer like Wine/Proton? I can understand that it is not worth offering native Linux support for their product, but allowing it to run with this tool, why not?
    On the subject of virtualisation or dual boot, I know what you are saying, but that would force us to have to buy a licence for an operating system that we don't like, that we don't find comfortable, and of course that we don't find reliable.
    At the moment the vast majority of video games that exist on the market for Windows run on Linux very decently thanks to Wine/Proton. Why can't RaceRoom be one of them?

12. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Buying a licence for win 10 is optional , and its a free legal version direct from windows , just a little bit of googling/duckduck go searching is all thats needed

Andi

13. SN8P™

SN8P™ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't get this discussion... IMO it's not about opinions!
    The Game is using one ore more IE related ddl's which isn't ideal on a Windows system too. Of course it's convenient to use already existing and approved routines but there are better ways than that!

I don't want to be so pessimistic and looking forward, something will happen
    • we'll find out ourself what is missing and were to place it
    • Steam will improve such behavior with proton
    • Microsoft will help to close such gaps, probably
    • S3S will just improve that by using an alternative library
    enough potential to success!

So long...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SN8P™

SN8P™ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't get why you always pull this card - the soul of this thread is a completely other and you already made your point.

If you want to help plz do so but Forums are worthless if they are full of 'RTFM Posts' and such... my 10 cents

• Like Like x 1
  15. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

Its a dx9 game based at present on a web page interface, always online .. thats its roots

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  16. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    DirectX 9 is not a problem for Linux. With DXVK you can play games with this technology without problems and more speed that in Windows thanks to Vulkan.
    About the web interface, I don't think that's a problem for Wine/Proton either, as also the in-game web interface of other games works (iRacing). From my point of view the problem has to be in something else, and I bet for some communication failure with the game servers, I don't know if it's because of some security system or something similar.
    If you execute the game with 64 bit prefix it shows "Error code: 17995"
    If you do the same with 32 bit and install ie8 it shows "Error code: 0"

A question for developers if they even read this: Does the game need something like .NET or another dependency to work?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Dont take anything i say as gospel but yep i believe .net libraries are needed , and there are a few levels of protection when logging into the game , but ill poke a dev or two

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  18. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I continue to look for answers to the problem... yes, I'm a pain in the ass... and I've asked in GloriousEggroll Proton's Discord room, and he has told me that the failure is due to an unimplemented wininet function:

143567.631:0118:0144:fixme:wininet:query_global_option Stub for 105

I can think of two solutions, either implement this feature on Proton/Wine, or have the RR devs tweak their security layer so that the game can be run on Linux, which I sincerely doubt.

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Solution 3. Run it on windows like it was designed for.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. leillo1975

leillo1975 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It is not necessary. What the Linux community does not achieve is not yet written. Finally RaceRoom already works on Linux thanks to Wine/Proton. Unfortunately for you, I have absolutely no need to install Windows anymore:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1321#issuecomment-939676389

I have to add that it works perfect and with an impressive performance ....