News Live Interview with J-F Chardon on This Week Inside Sim Racing

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Darin Gangi, Mar 22, 2016.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Pretty good interview, he was pretty candid, almost to the point of dropping some "cold hard facts" as far as the "only if the business partners want it" type answers - of course not what gamers want to hear but i respect the honesty and no BS answers.

@heppsan sounds like your gear lockout question was misinterpreted :) I knew what you meant

That's what I heard - he said "hopefully next week" i believe. I'll be eagerly checking the forum from work next Tuesday to see whats going on

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 0 / -0
    As a sim racing enthusiast it was a little discouraging to hear the "business partners" wishes are the main driving force for new features & tracks etc. and that those partners have strongest influence on inclusion of new features or what gets priority. Very honest to be told that - not what I wanted to hear - great if you are in the target audience of business partner investors.:oops:

It was surprising to hear J-F talking in rather flat tones about VR, he said the price of the headsets is too high so the market will not be as big. VR inclusion and updating sounded like it was right near the top of the list when I first began reading about RR a couple months back, now it sounds like is on the back burner. :( High initial cost has always been the case for most, if not all, new high tech items over the last 20 years or so but the best ones quickly become mainstream and more affordable. Tight competition between the big players like Oculus, Samsung, HTC, Valve, Sony et al will ensure rapid development and there is already news of a 4K VR display developed - GPU tech is catching up rapidly as well.

VR is such a perfect fit for sim racing that the race titles which have early & well integrated support will no doubt become popular quickly and it is better to be ahead of the curve than left behind playing catch-up. There is also those sim racers who are single mindedly committed to their triple screen investment and bit too quick to dismiss VR without having fully or properly trying it. I do know one or two of them who have changed their mind 180 degrees after some quality VR sim racing which has blown their socks off ! ;) J-F also mentioned that at race days their business partners have simulators setup with triple screens but I guarantee you that will change in the blink of an eye once enough Rift & Vive headsets are out in the wild as the year unfolds... that is for deadset sure ! :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I disagree with that, because proper triplescreen support and liveries/customskins are quite important for many of us.

But otherwise, you're right and i agree that some questions were quite unimportant or about things which already exist in R3E. (e.g. multiclass racing is already possible with dedicated servers)

4. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Yes, the "business partner priority" was quite disappointing to hear, but understandable to a certain extend. Money and hard reality.

So what can we do now to put some pressure on e.g. DTM, that "we gamer" want realistic weather in DTM Experience 2017? :D:p;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  5. SargeFIN

SargeFIN New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm very glad to hear this could be something to be implemented in the game in future patches. IMO this kind of thing should be a standard at sim racing titles. Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the patch and Nordschleife. And that GTO pack ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    While JF seems like a very affable guy i was a little surprised / discouraged by the responses to a lot of the questions, along the lines of "it is something we can look at" "no plans at the moment" "never say never". It made me wonder what the actual future of raceroom is with regards to features. A lot of the things we are requesting aren't new ideas but things that have been in sims in the past and would seem to be automatic inclusions.

Does sector 3 have a roadmap for the game or is it purely "these partners" that are pulling all the strings with regards to the direction of the game?

I am not having a go at JF, he was just the spokesman answering honestly to the questions put in front of him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's not like he was disclosing any secrets there.
    http://b2b.raceroom.com/en/
    What you can do? Become a business partner, open a Raceroom Cafe. ;)

8. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    here is something for all the business partners: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/poll-new-content-or-something-else.4485/ ... R3E will become a great racing sim? So let them do it!

9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    No need to be discouraged... There just isnt any reason for you to expect that 20 different features should all be on the table in development at the same time, and then expect them all to release a month from now. That isnt feasible, and not how development works. So, saying, "It's something we can look into" is simply saying it isnt being worked on now, but might be looked into and added in the future.

You may not realize, but R3E doesnt have a huge dev team working on the game. And the number of programmers is even less. It's just not possible to expect them to churn out feature after feature, while still maintaining the game code, fixing bugs, and working on what is coming out soon. Would your job ask you to do 25 things at once and expect them all to be done in a timely fashion, or prioritize a few and have you work on those to completion before moving onto the next task? :p

Features are some of the hardest things to add to a game simply because they take a long time to develop and bug test. A simple line of code may break various other aspects of the game, and that cant release that way. I too would love to see more features in R3E, but I have come to realize that things will come slowly but surely.

Of course S3 has a roadmap for the game and what they want to achieve. However, why would they share all of that with the public and describe a year long plan, when things can so easily change. That would only lead to disappointment and enraged customers. What they do let us know is their near term plans usually in the form of what is coming in the patches, which they advertise a while in advance. Beyond that, you know they are working on other content that will be added, and know the game will be supported for the foreseeable future.

And Im not sure how much the business partners influence development beyond the content release schedules such as DTM/ADAC/or WTCC stuff. RaceRoom Entertainment is more in the lead here. The publisher is the one that really decides the course that R3E takes, and Sector3 works on getting it there. RaceRoom Entertainment has obligations as Christian pointed out, a business of creating simulators for various activities.

This is one of the reasons so many sim-racing devs self publish. They arent beholden to anyone. They can dictate what they work on and when they release things. It may not be a pretty answer, but the publisher has a pretty big sway. Now, that isnt to say the publisher is the bad guy here, or anything like that... :p They have done quite a lot for R3E and obviously finance the development, as well as all the new content that is continually being worked on. Without them, we may not have R3E in the current state it is because production may have stopped long ago.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Cheeseman

Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    A bit disappointed to see that my question isnt answered in the Q&A, even with high numbers of likes.

At this point, I can safely assume that a GTR3 pack is definitely not on the cards now.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I certainly don't expect to have 20 features in development at the same time but was genuinely surprised by all the maybes and sure we don't expect them to lay everything on the table but I generally have no idea where r3e is headed in the future regarding features. Reiza has maybe broken the mold by laying out in the table where they are heading this year and what will be added and I am genuinely excited by it. Even ac and pcars give an idea of the future, even if it doesn't always come to fruition. To me it seems sector3 are keeping their cards close to their chest.
    I honestly understand game development as much as I understand women, so not at all and I did not realise that there are those behind the scenes who pull and push these studios in a certain direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Why didn't you ask those questions you want the answers to yourself? Darin started this thread just for that purpose. ;)

Think it may have helped if Darin had written the questions down first so there might have been a bit more structure to what was being asked but I think the big shocker for me was 10k people logging on in N America in one day :eek: yet the user base is predominately European, so Raceroom have shifted a few units!

Perhaps to get a few of the business model questions answered, that obviously wrangle a fair few, Darin could interview someone from Raceroom, JF reminded me of myself when I was married, deferred all financial matters toward the wife! :D

I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but best news for me was yet more expansion and tweaking to physics and field of the GT3 class, add to that larger grids. (Emoji of me rubbing hands together) Can't wait for Green Hell mayhem.

I think the chap who spent a year in a broom cupboard creating the Nords deserves a new office, with window because young man you have done a wonderful job, looks bloody gorgeous, you my friend are a magician! Bang on!!
    First track I have ever seen that comes with off track atmosphere, almost got me whistle out on a couple sections!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If this is the case then as I read it, if Raceroom want it S3 comply so perhaps if our German sim racing friends start going to the Raceroom simulators and start demanding VR etc etc then it will get pushed up the priority list!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I think it was a really nice interview.
    I got my question answered. Although as I'm an endurance fan and I would like to see more prototypes, I understand the focus on the GT3 class because of the business side.
    But besides that, I liked to see in the interview how the business side works and influences R3E development, and I don't think it's a bad thing, it's a way of generating revenue to sustain the game development. It's just the way it is.

Thank you Darin and J-F :)

15. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    @ 25:30

Darin: "You guys worked with that cute Audi driver?" (Mikaela)

J-F: *looks awkward*

:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    also looked awkward when telling Darin that "we've just added saving setups feature"

lol soz

17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, but the tiny smirk when revealing there'll be even more GT3 additions...ftw. :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm surprised that dynamic (variable weather as known in race07) weather, isn't a priority. It does and still makes race07 stand out. That baffles me that all the features in race07 hasn't made it into rre. Although i take it its the suits that eventually have the say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
  20. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if all those cars made the game i would buy that pack :)

• Agree Agree x 1