News Live Interview with J-F Chardon on This Week Inside Sim Racing

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Darin Gangi, Mar 22, 2016.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    To be honest - I was some kind of suprised how euphoric J-F told about the evaluation of the new Engine. Ok - he just told that it was/is only an internal Project for evaluation of new technologies, but it seems that they had some success with importing R3E-Content in that engine. And as he told, some of the Tasks that needs some efforts with the existing Engine were simple to solve with the new Engine.

For the moment it seems that every announcement would be way to early and would rise expectations that could be disappointed...

In Addtion and as @MsportDan asked for Weather: I found and early Interview with Diego Sartori about R3E short after its announcement at GamesCon. In that he was asked about Day/Night-Transition and Weather-Effects in the RendR-Graphics-Engine that is used in R3E and was Developed by SimBin.
    For me it seems that the RendR-Engine is not at a point to simulate the Weather-Effects or handle with different and changing Light-Sources...

2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    My impression of the interview was a confirmation of what i suspected for a while. J-F and the rest of the dev team are in the hands of the publisher and decides wery little by them self.
    Especially when it comes to content, but it almost seems like they have to negotiate on everything from content to small features.

But i liked that about scandinavian tracks, that was a surprice :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. russlar

russlar Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well he didn't say publisher, he said business partners.
    And you could say that about any (smaller) company/producer really. While they all try to cater their customers needs, they always depend on the people sitting on a pile of money (banks, partners, stakeholders), who always connect handing you that money with some preconditions or expectations.

5. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Like any dev studio in the world ...
    Publishers are the one to bring money, they are the one who decide what to do with this money.
    Devs can give back some hints, direction, schedule, etc, but at the end of the day, the on who decide are always the publishers.
    S3S is not in a different wordl than the other...

Indeed I may think they are in a better situation than more of the other in regards that R.R. Entertainment do it's business around they're own SimRIG and Sim Events during race week-end. They have a huge foot in the racing and simracing environment...

Think about other publishers that may only see sales, profitability, and don't even care about simracing at all... If the game will not sell well, they'll cut the cord, period. With RR AG at least S3S develop for the main activity of RR AG, so until RR AG is in activity R3E will live, and we'll see the benefits of it.

See Sony that cut-off Drive-Club dev team.. See how it was going badly for SMS around Pcars financial, etc ..
    No publisher = no money for devs = no game at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. goldtop

goldtop Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Didn't watch the stream but I'm guessing my question was not asked :rolleyes:

7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Link to the Interview if you want to watch/rewatch:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Ja ja ja...You now what i mean. How about CEO
    Klaus Wohlfarth, Managing Director @ KW automotive and CEO at S3S

9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I thought multi-class singleplayer would be sooner on the agenda, so a little disappointed by that, but otherwise appreciate JF's time and honesty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well but that's not what I mean. :p
    Raceroom Entertainment is the publisher and one business partner out of a number of partners of S3S. Tilke f.e. they talked about, we know ADAC or DTM. Actually there's a list of business partners on the portal:
    2016-03-24_155403.jpg
    Sidney Industries f.e., they made a RUF livery for them that can't be bought yet it's in the game.

And when J-F mentioned the Scandinavian tracks he also said that their partners might ask them to build those. Somebody who runs a Raceroom Cafe or a similar venue is also a business partner I assume.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. jcookeusa

jcookeusa Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Nate. That's great news as I've always loved driving the Chevy DP, but it has the absolute worst center swaying feeling of any car on RRE. I'm hopeful the updated physics will finally address that.

I know not everyone experiences this, but it really destroys the feeling on certain cars for me. (For any that don't know, this is the driven, FFB oscillation when driving straight, primarily at high speed. On the worst cars (DP for me), it's really hard to simply drive straight or even pass closely to another car without bumping into them.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Tire pressure adjustment isnt in this patch. Not sure if it is being worked on or looked at currently. Perhaps in the future.

Single class multiplayer? Erm, we already have that :D Perhaps you meant multi-class single player? Mixed grids in single player?

That isnt coming yet, but is in the pipeline. It however require a ton of work to function properly. It needs UI/HUD work to differentiate classes during a race similar to what iRacing does, it needs results screen work, it needs a ton of AI work to make sure the different classes function as they should and the faster classes dont get stuck behind the slower classes like they do in Assetto Corsa. Among many other things so they race properly against each other.

Dont expect it until this feature is announced... and even then, like most things, it will still probably be a while. :p

I can assure you this is no longer an issue ;) The Corvette DP has none of that old swaying that it used to have at high speed, or any other speed for that matter. It is very planted and when you point it straight, you are going to go straight.

Now, this doesnt mean it is easy to drive... If anything the difficulty increased with these reworked physics. Tons of wheelspin from all the torque, braking that is longer than the other prototypes probably because it is a lot heavier, and handling that feels a bit like a boat at times :eek: It's got quite a character, and I think the update will be quite enjoyable.

Yeah, this is definitely noticeable when comparing the cars with updated physics. However, the devs are constantly working to update old classes and improve them so they are as enjoyable as possible. Prototypes, and GTO are up next as mentioned a while back. Id expect other classes to be worked on this spring/summer. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  13. jcookeusa

jcookeusa Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I'm really glad to hear it! Thanks for the info, Nate. I love that the DP is hard to drive fast -- that swaying/oscillation just seemed weird and not accurate (of course, I have no idea, really :) ). This is shaping up to be quite the update and release party.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Will this new physics at DP include a switch to the specs of 2014 and later?
    There would be an increased power output to 550 - 600 hp and a 6 speed sequential manual transmission?

15. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was a good interview, Unreal engine might be internal testing only but the look on JF's face when he started talking about it really suggests where things are leaning I'd say. He smiled like a kid with a new toy. And it was a mirror of my own face when Scandinavian tracks were mentioned. FR2's at Anderstorp, make it happen JF! :p

Also considering how minor of an effort it seemed when asked, when can we expect those bugs on our windshields? :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Haha, good spot! Edited my post.....

• Like Like x 1
  17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    One question I would have had (but not expecting an answer): Can s3s "buy" a little independence of raceroom back. Obviously they have to work on the stuff told as they get paid for that (which is all fair and square). But could they like reiza, collect their own money, and therefore invest in their own roadmap parallel to the contractual stuff, or is the contract "exclusive".
    Just looking for a way to get the best of both worlds, raceroom funds the game (independent of the game alone actually being profitable much), is the gateway to licenses, car-data, track (tilke cooperation)... so there is a lot of "good" in that to be preserved, as it gives the developers their "stable" income and us a lot of real-world content.
    However, trying to find a way to shift some feature progress in favor of the "game/community", and typically that is best done with money ;) and if we find a way to get the cash directly to s3s, they may have some real data on interest of people on core gameplay.
    Again not meant to say the relationship between the two is bad or one side does a worse job then the other. Only wondering there are options to improve the feature progress situation and the many rants around the business model.

A lot of people claim they would invest in r3e if some things were different, how much money would we need to collect to make our point that a change in business model or feature roadmap is feasible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Klaus Wohlfarth became CEO of SimBin (in 2012 I think) and is the CEO of Sector3 Studios. But they have been working together long before that, in the Raceroom venues they've been using a Race07 adaptation before what's in use now.
    And as RR Entertainment is also part of KW automotive group, I think technically we're talking about one company. ;)
    So as long as KW doesn't want to get rid of Sector3...

19. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Thanks didn't catch that before, that's still okay, that it's more or less one company. In the end there is always someone who has to decide the course, and this "funding-pledge" is just one attempt to give that person one more "data point" for the decision.
    And it's already positive that they provide the funds to get more programmers on board...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    And he is the managing director at KW suspensions. If there is a car company with a bad relationship with KW it might affect the licens.

Or?

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/kw/info/racing/

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016