Logitech G27 Alternatives (without the center deadzone)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DawdlingDan, Aug 15, 2015.

1. DawdlingDan

DawdlingDan New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys, I currently have a G27 and I think it's a great wheel apart from one issue I have with it, the deadzone in the center. I hear it's because the G27 is gear driven. What wheel would you recommend to replace a G27? One that doesn't have this deadzone problem and that is better or on par overall with G27.

Cheers!

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    How large is your wallet? Thrustmaster's new TX500 base unit looks interesting and belt driven and on a par price wise, although the new Logitech g920 is far pricier and not a lot's changed other than losing the h-shifter. If you want to go up a few notches pop along to the Fanatec site https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/ and start drooling!! :p If you think that's still not expensive enough there's always http://simxperience.com/ but best start selling organs or the house!! :(

3. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Pffff, Sim Experience cheap toys... here is what you need Leo Bodnar FFB SimSteering http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=101&products_id=221 Your's for the reasonable price of "just" €3,969.36 and they don't even deliver it with a basic wheel :p

Well back on track, i just bought the Thrustmaster T300RS PC/PS3/PS4 to replace my G27 and i am extremely pleased with the performance, it is really awesome. Now i have also ordered Fanatec Clubsports V3 pedal set. But if your not that fuzzy with a loadcell brake the Thrustmaster T3PA-PRO is a really good set of pedals, but concider that a set of T3PA-PRO with for example Richmotech Loadcell Kit, you are actually up at the same price for that as a Fanatec Clubsports V3 set.

Technical Mumbo Jumbo: The FFB "deadzone" in center space on the G27 is not because it is gear driven. It is an intentional limitation, because the G27 has two electric motors that pull opposite forces. Without that deadzone the two motors would start oscillating the wheel back and forth if they would apply power at the wheels center.

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    i have a g27 and the center deadzone in r3e was bigger as in other games so i take a look into my settings, played a little Bit with it and now its mich better and feels good for me. So you Can give it a try and Google for sone food settings and try it out first

5. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure you're talking about the same deadzone here, adding or removing steering deadzone where you can move the wheel before the actual steering input start taking effect can be modified in game. the FFB deadzone where the G27 does not apply any force feedback at the wheels center position cannot be modified, it is hardcoded into the G27's hardware.

6. M4IRC1IE

M4IRC1IE Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    i know, but you Can keep it to a minimum, or that the feeling of deadzone is not so much

7. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i found the grip(or weight or whatever its called) can help as well at figuring out the vert to lat ratio. i turn all the "canned effects" off myself.

8. OLDr! AzzA

OLDr! AzzA New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure I'm im on the same page as your speaking , but I had a g27 and had dead centre feeling with the force feedback . You can fix it ( kinda could never truly get rid of it ) by adjusting the miminium force the wheel needs I needed 14% but my wheel was old .
    I think there is iracing program you can download called wheelcheck where you can test your wheels min force.

But I upgraded anyway to a fanatic clubsport v2 wheel and clubsport pedals , leagues better imho ( Disclaimer I've only had a driving force ex , g27 and clubsport wheel )

9. shovas

shovas Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You're right, iRacing solved this a long time ago on the G27 with the Min Force setting. Unfortunately, I don't see this capability in R3E. G27 owners make up the majority of wheel users out there, it's a shame they're being ignored.

Funny, I've upgraded to an AccuForce this year and I'm still getting this, not dead zone, but a weak center zone in R3E that I don't get in other games. It's weird. It's like it's systemic to R3E physics.

10. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    As i have said before, and i'll reiterate. the ffb deadband in center of the G27, G29, is a manufacturing limitation off the wheel in it's hardware, without it the wheel would oscillate since the two motors pull opposite forces. You can minimize it's inpact but never remove it fully.

And yes shovas your right about the amount of G27 owners, and now it's also the G29. It's like Logitech want the G27 and G25 to just dissapear from the face of the earth so they can shift new units. Even the new Logitech G Gaming software doesn't support G25, G27. Way shitty style if you ask me.

I ditched Logitech a while ago though and went Thrustmaster T300RS, and oh boy i don't regret that decision.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  11. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    for console users theres no reason to go logitech but for PC users with the g27 offering an h-shifter, ffb wheel & decent pedals for around $250, its still probably the best starter package.

i didnt find the deadzone to be much issue, since most sims now let you tune it out. a couple that dont are SCE where it bothered with some of the formula cars at low speed. never bothered me in R3E tbh. every other sim has an option to basically get rid of it. its no reason to pass on the wheel imo.

i upgraded to the thrustmaster TX recently & while i dont regret it as a starter package it depends where you want the emphasis. the wheel is substantially better but the stock pedals are almost worthless & youll need an extra $150 for an h-shifter. realistically, while its listed at $300 USD here, if you dont have pedals or a shifter already youre looking at $500 or so for wheel & good pedals, 2x what a g27 costs. its also easy to upgrade the g27 piece by piece with any hardware -fanatec, TM, whatever...tho occasionally you will need to buy a separate adapter. just stay away from the g29 which is an out & out ripoff. hope that helps some.

12. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    There is a couple of differences between the G27/G29 pedals and Thrustmasters T3PA/T3PA-PRO Logitech's pedals only have an 8-bit resolution meaning from 0-255. the T3PA pedals have a 10-bit resolution meaning 0-1024. That makes a big difference specially on the brake.

And now we are talking about upgrades to get away from G27 in this thread, but saying G29 is a ripoff? G29 is a G27, with the buttons moved to the wheel, which is better. Mechanically they are identical, there is some minor upgrades, brake pedal that is now mimicking a real break (nonlinear with bumper) they are still the shitty 8-bit resolution. And you now do not the get H-Pattern shifter when you buy it, but it can be bought separately. So all in all G29 is G27, repackaged, a way idiotic move by a lazy company. Specially when Thrustmaster have them on their knee's. And i suspect they will feel that in the wallet, i think G29, G920 is gonna be a bit of a failure.

I would not recommend buying any of the Logitech's today over the Thrustmasters to any new potential sim-racer, even if you have to spend extra on the pedals and buy a shifter. With one exception if you'r on a budget, DFGT is still the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    yes, ripoff. its essentially the same thing, but one costs $250 and one costs $400. one is a great buy, the other is a ripoff.

14. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    In what reality does a new G27 cost $250? Price on a new G27 here in Sweden is $456. A new G29 is $444 + $82 for the shifter. You can't compare price for a used G27 and a new G29 and say the G29 is expensive.

15. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
  16. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
  17. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ok, well, good for you. in THE REST OF THE WORLD, the g27 can be had NEW for around $250. i dont give a damn how your local store rips YOU off...good god man.

18. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    It's totally awesome that you can buy a new G27 for $250. But you are just forgetting one little simple thing that will apply for almost everyone buying your $250 G27. It is called shipping cost. Unless you live in the USA, then you can actually get one for $300 inc. shipping from newegg.com. or $249 from Amazon.com. Now you see everyone does not live in the USA. Here in Europe i would have to pay customs tax + value added tax to order a G27 from oversees.

I just looked up a NEW G27 on ebay from a top rated seller in the USA just now, price $300+$108 shipping cost = $408, then we add Sweden's VAT+Customs Tax totalling a price of $523. Bit more then your $250 wouldn't you say? So i wouldn't exactly say my local dealer rips me off.

So if you manage to get a completely unused G27 shipped to your door for $250, then that is amazing, be happy! Most people don't get a way with a price that cheap.

19. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    For me is exactly the opposite. I can have a new G27 delivered in my door in two days for a little less than $250 but, if I wanted a T300/500, shipping and taxes rise the price to double, even though Thrustmaster sells some products here (only the crappy ones).

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it all depends on where you can get your hands on the really cheap ones, i fear to ask you what you'd have to pay for a Fanatec Clubsport Wheelbase V2 incl. everything if you're in a remote location. Thrustmaster operates out of France if i don't remember completely wrong.