Logitech G27 Alternatives (without the center deadzone)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DawdlingDan, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    In Germany you could buy the G27 for 200 to 250€ in the last 3 years. If you were lucky and it was on sale somewhere you even could get one for under 180€ on some occasions.

G29 with worse shifter and too much buttons on the steering wheel (with better pedals though) will cost you at least 425€ right now.

So that's almost twice the price of the G27 for pretty much identical hardware. :(

2. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    The outlet price of the G29 is exactly why i wouldn't recommend anyone buying Logitech anymore, first off it's way inferior and dated hardware, they just took the G27 and moved a few buttons around. I mean heck they didn't even bother to make a new base at all. The FFB is quite a lot inferior to the Thrustmasters. Sure for those $475 you get a clutch pedal and the "updated" break pedal. Buying a T300RS for example sets you back $447, unfortunately the drawback is the base pedal set you get with them which is nothing short of a joke. So you will have to add another $100 for the T3PA, or if you want $166 for the T3PA-PRO. The shifter from Thrustmaster TH8A cost $149 but is vastly superior to the G29 shifter. First it has 7 H-Pattern gears + reverse, and you can switch it very easily to sequential mode so i'd say that is well worth the extra cost over the G29 one.

Then if you want to go semi-hardcore www.ricmotech.com have their loadcell brake mod for the T3PA or T3PA-PRO pedals but that will set you back another $170 and also a short shift kit for the TH8A for $40

All in a T300RS+T3PA-PRO+TH8A+Short Throw Mod+Load Cell Brake Mod will set you back a total of $972, which is way ouchie for most people.

There is an alternative though, the Thrustmaster T150, which is T300RS little brother it cost $200 and is PS3/PS4/PC compatible. it has the 1080 degree steering angle is a little weaker FFB the T300RS, and are in all other sense and purposes pretty much a little more plasticky version of the T300RS.

T150+T3PA+TH8A = $449, so you have a wheel which is much smoother, has shifter paddles, 1080degree, much better smoother and stronger FFB then G29, Flashable Firmware, pedals with clutch and a 7 speed shifter which can be transformed to sequential that knocks the G29 shifter out of the park for pretty much the same price as a G29.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  3. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Here comes the worst, Fanatec wouldn't sell in my country, I already asked.:mad:

4. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Ouch.. that's harsh.

• Like Like x 1
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0

Dunno what you're talking about Clover....the link yusopov posted (at least on my end ) leads to regular german internet shops (best offer for 238.-) so all can say is that you're living in a f****** expensive country (Sweden?) where you are ripped off with almost everything :rolleyes:...

6. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    That's not where my links lead me, Sweden is expensive yes, when it comes to electronics. But anyway G27 is old, and making a direct comparison with something that is just released is not quite fair. G25s could also be bought cheaper when the G27 came out. It doesn't matter that the G29 is basically a G27.

Anyway no matter what, i wouldn't recommend anyone buying a new wheel today to get a Logitech wheel. They are simply subpar. The Thrustmaster T,TX Wheels are much much better.

7. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    The G27-prices even went up a bit when the G29 was announced and the production of the G27 was stopped. Even the prices for used G27 (on Ebay) are increasing for a few weeks now and seem to be still rising.

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yepp I even said on the first thread about the G29 (guess opened by AMG Vilas) that the business policy by Logitech is somehow weird - either it's due to desperation regarding this market niche or they simply count on their customers being stupid enough to get used to pay anything they demand....

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  9. AlikDiana

AlikDiana New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I find similar post on this forum, and I like it. Because I have the same question.

10. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Before you buy a new wheel try this:

-I had the same issue with R3E until I read about lowering the value of
    "FFB steer force exponent" in the rcs file for your wheel from the
    default 1.0 to about 0.6 . Before making this change, the cars felt very
    floaty and vague and now they feel much better. Most people experiment with this setting and use between 0.55-0.75. For my wheel, 0.6 worked best. It really makes a huge difference.

-Just wanted to say thanks! Changed this to 0.55 on my G27 and it feels more connected to me! Finally some progress on the Floaty feeling!

-Just incredibly stupid that this not either the default or adjustable in the sim. We're all saying the same thing about floaty feel since forever. That is what has kept me from buying-in to date. It certainly isn't a problem with the quality of the tracks, because they are excellent.

-This has improved my overall experience, thx!!
    I'm using 0.65 at the moment. (CSW)
    http://www.virtualr.net/spa-francorchamps-r3e-now-available

11. shovas

shovas Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    As a former G27 owner I hope this works for G27 owners. That floaty feeling is the single biggest aggravation R3E has and it bewilders me they're ignoring the majority of wheel owners out there.

I still feel float, what I call 'boat sway', on my AccuForce on old cars that haven't been updated yet (newer cars have a little but not nearly as much). I was hoping this setting would do the trick. Unfortunately, I couldn't actually tell the difference from 0.1 to 2.0.

12. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how this works on AccuForce but are you sure you changed the right settings? 0.1 would make the wheel extremely sensitive and nervous.

C:\Users\Username\Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet

FFB steer force exponent="1.0" //Steering force output "sensitivity".

Remember to restart R3E.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  13. shovas

shovas Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    That's the one. Couldn't feel the difference...