Logitech G27 Brake Pedal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulinhot, Apr 17, 2017.

1. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'm hopeful that someone amongst this great community will be able to help me with an issue related to my G27 brake pedal.

Basically a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my brake lights were flicking on my "sim" race car, so when I went to check the calibration of my pedals it seems that the brake pedal was ghosting a little, but only within the first 2-5mm of travel, but this was enough to put the brakes on a little (explains my slow lap times lol )

I carefully took the G27 pedals apart and did my best in cleaning the pedal mechanism, and although the potentiometer didn't appear to be that dirty I gave it a quick blast of air which appeared to work well. The brake pedal seemed to have returned to it's normal operational usage, and I swear the throttle and clutch felt better too.

Anyway the other day I went to do a quick race and noticed the brake pedal was doing it again, although I've "tuned" it out by adjusting the deadzone, but I was wondering either what I could use to clean it (not WD40), or better still, having seen the possible new DSD brake pedal mod, what other options are there on the market.

Thanks again for any useful information.

Regards Paul

2. John Wiesenmüller

John Wiesenmüller Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I do not know in it's available in your Country but I would try "Kontakt Chemie Tuner 600" Spray to clean the potentiometer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, I will take a look online, many thanks.

4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yes I've had this problem with mine for years.
    Basically dust, carpet fibres, animal hair etc gets into the pots.
    What I've had to do is pull the peddle apart so you can see the pots and then blow them out with compressed air.

A couple of years ago; after having to do this several times over the years, I decided to put a cloth "boot" over the peddles to stop the dust and fibre from getting in in the first place. I haven't had to clean the pots out since and that was two years ago so problem seems solved

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    As far as I Paul understood did he already try to clean the potentiometer with air. Covering the peddles is an good idea, dust is a natural enemy of potentiometer - especially when they are located on the floor. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the fact he said it worked for a while and then it happened again sounded much like I had.
    In g27 properties where you can see the red lines move up and down when you press the pedals I noticed that during the first 5% it would flicker even if my foot was off the pedal. Adjusting the dead zone worked for a while until it got worse and I had to blow the pots out again. Some times this was jut a matter of a few days or weeks. The Carpet floor and pet hair was th usual culprit for me.

After cleaning it out the last time and before screwing back on the silver pedal foot plates, I lay a piece nylon cloth over the top, then put the plates on top of the clothe and forced the screws thru to the thread. I then cut the cloth back and gaffa taped down the edges. That was two years ago, never had a problem since

• Like Like x 1
  7. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Or you can do like I did and swap the clutch pot with the other pot that's playing up

• Like Like x 1
  9. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    but you lost the clutch

• Like Like x 1
  10. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    The pot I put back in the clutch worked with a dead zone set to 15% which was fine for a clutch but useless for brakes or a throttle

Effectively the clutch just bit a little later

• Like Like x 1
  11. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I like the idea of a "boot", thank you I hadn't thought of that one. My girlfriend and myself do own a dog, and I do vacuum around my sim rig weekly, but I guess yes dust/hair etc does get into the actual pot, although having owned my G27 for a fair few years, it was a minimal amount, but I suspect it only takes a small spec to cause this problem. I like the look of the new DSD brake mod for the G27, but have no idea on it's actual release date yet or price, but it is an option.

I know you can buy better springs, and rubber like tubular pads that go inside the springs, but I hadn't thought of upgrading the actual pots themselves, that's a good idea, and I assume it would just be a simple swap, and it would just interpret the better quality on it's own with no software modifications?.

I have seen a video floating around the internet where upon one person fitted these rotating motors on the back of the pedals to give them vibration, but I'm not really sure what this replicates ?

12. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    So just a quick update to my problem.

I stopped off at a local independent hardware store in the town I live and picked up some spray in an attempt to clean the pots on my G27 pedals.

This is what I bought:

[​IMG]

These are the G27 pedals removed from my Sim-Rig:

[​IMG]

This is the order I take my pedal box apart:

Firstly I removed the pedal plates themselves, its an easy job to do, just be patient in what you do.

[​IMG]

13. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    The Pedal Plates:

Once I removed the plates I laid them out in the order I took them off, making it easier when I go to put them back on.

[​IMG]

The Underside:

When you turn the pedal base over you will be met with lots of screws. On my set I only undo the silver screws, leaving the black ones as these actually hold the pedals to the lower plate.

[​IMG]

The Screws:

Call me sad, but I always lay out the screws in the same order that I removed them. I don't think the pedal base uses any different sizes of screw, but better to be safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

14. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    The Separation:

Once all of the screws are removed CAREFULLY separate the pedal base from the top section. The reason you have to be careful is due to the fact that the wires will be connected to both parts of the pedals, and if you pull both sections apart with force, you will rip or damage the wires.

[​IMG]

The Potentiometers:

As you can see from my photo, they appear pretty clean, but I did only clean them a couple of weeks ago. But normally you will find pet hair, other hair (?), carpet dust, and who knows what else lol. But a quick clean with either a low powered vacuum or a soft brush will remove all of that stuff, just look out for the cables connected to the potentiometers.

[​IMG]

The Clean:

Rather than take the potentiometers apart, which is a pain to do, I used my spray to spray into pot itselfs, whilst working the pedal action, thus hopefully flushing out any dirt (although not fool proof).

[​IMG]

15. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Additional Cleaning:

Whilst the pedals are off, it doesn't hurt to separate the plastic from the metal cover, just for cleaning really. This doesn't do anything other than clean the unit up, but it's worth doing.

[before]
    [​IMG]

[after]
    [​IMG]

Pedal Adjustment:

Another thing that is often over looked with the G27 pedal system is that you can actually adjust the placement of each of the pedals, as you given 3 holes in which to place the plates.

[​IMG]

16. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Placement:

I've only moved the throttle pedal plate to show you, but this is with the pedal set more to the left.

[​IMG]

This is with the pedal plate set more to the right.

[​IMG]

This can be made more adjustable by moving the brake/clutch pedal plate.

Once this is all done, simply reverse what you have done, taking CARE not to pinch the wires, and hopefully then you should have a functioning pedal set that doesn't "spike" requiring you to adjust the deadzone.

Not really a guide, just sharing what I did, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. John Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Nice description. It was a long time ago when I did this with my sons pedals, but IIRC did I had to remove screws behind the turning carpet grip. :smirk:

And did it help?

18. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    I've had this problem a lot with my 5 year old G27 that has had perhaps 1,000 hours of use.

I've tried many things - including pulling the pots completely apart and cleaning them (which worked for a month or so), swapping brake and clutch (which worked cos I never used the clutch - yes I'm slack!) BUT of all the fixes I tried, a can of "electrical clean and lube" poked into the pot as shown above (in paulinhot's post) worked by far the best.

upload_2017-4-23_6-27-30.jpeg

I suggest getting a can of compressed air as well to get all the dust and stuff out first and then a quick spray of the lube and problem solved. I did that six months ago and have had no problems since.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yes there are two screws behind the grip guard which need removing, but I just used a normal screwdriver and they came out with no problems. As for the results, yes it works really now, until next time.

20. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Compressed air and the lube will fix the symptoms but depending on your environment dust and fibres etc eventually find their way back in there and you'll have to do it again.

So to solve the actual cause of the problem here is a picture of a boot that I made to cover the hole where the pedals shafts go through the base that was letting all the dust etc in.

As you can see I simply removed the pedal plates, lay a piece of black cloth over the top of the pedals, and then forced the screws for the pedal plates through the cloth as I screwed the pedal plates back on. I then gaffa taped the cloth onto the pedal base. I haven't had a problem for at least two years since doing this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1