LOGITECH G29 / G920 £180 (£120 off) PC World

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Smith, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Yes, that might be my best option, just getting those as an add-on to the base T300 Ferrari GTE package, which is only about £205

2. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Oh, the G920 has gone up to £224 already :-(

The only thing that's making me still consider a Logitech wheel (either the G920 or a good condition G27) is that from all I've read, it sounds like these are a lot more durable, also a little less bulky, which is a plus for me, as have very limited space.

3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    On Amazon the price for this has gone up too, to £243 - WTF is going on?

4. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I haven't been called a Logitech hater in a while now, so I need to renew that badge.

I suggest that you read some of the posts in Logitech forums first, before making up your mind buying anything, especially on the G920 side.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Controllers/G920-BETA-feedback-for-LGS-8-83/td-p/1506246

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I had a g27 for 4 years and it was bulletproof. Upgraded to a g29 and it died within 4 months. There is a wiring issue with them where after a while the buttons will trigger by themselves when rotating the wheel quickly left and right. There are lots of posts on logitech support forums about it. I sent mine back and got a t500 instead. Am very impressed by it.
    I love lots of buttons on the wheels too so have started modding my ferrari f1 wheel in the picture below. It will give me 38 usable buttons when complete.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  6. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Okay, thanks for the feedback (and also the feedback from @F1Aussie and @Stiku ), I'd just been a little put off the Thrustmaster due to quite a few reports I'd read of these dying within a few months, but maybe those users were just unlucky?

It does sounds like the FFB on the T300 is better than the G920/G27 and I've also read that the Logitech wheels have more of a deadzone?

I guess the other possibility would be to get a nearly new G27, as at least these seem to have less issues than the G29/920 and are better supported currently, though I'd prefer having more buttons on the wheel itself, especially as I also play Euro Truck Simulator 2, which requires lots of controls (lights, indicators, wipers, trailer attach/detach, retarder etc.). I think I don't necessarily need a separate gear shifter from the outset, though - I'll mostly be racing GT3/ADAC cars and for ETS 2 a sequential shifter would probably be better than an H-shifters.

• Like Like x 2
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    When my g29 died i was originally going to get a t300 but i had read even more horror stories about them than i had the g29 so instead i went for the t500rs as i had read many positive stories about the ffb and the robustness of the wheel. The bonus is you get very good pedals with it too. No deadzone like with the g29 either. Have only had the t500 for about 3 months but cannot fault it at this stage. The g29 had started playing up by this stage.

8. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    For me, I don't think the T500 would be practical - it's even larger than the T300 (which itself is bigger than the G27), both the base unit and the pedals - as I have very limited space, both when setup and for when putting it away when not in use, which I'll have to do (I'll likely be using a WheelStand Pro, with a desk I share with my wife during the week), I mean even even the base unit looks huge:

[​IMG]

Obviously if you live somewhere with loads of space this is not an issue, but is in my case.

The other concerns I have are that the gear shifting paddles don't move with the wheel rotation, right? I don't think I'd like that, especially as I have quite small hands.

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    BTW how is the Thrustmaster software compared to Logitech and do they keep on top of driver/firmware updates when needed?

Also, how does Thrustmaster's support compare to Logitech? From what I've read, Logitech seem very bad in responding to support requests.

10. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Using a T500 I never had issues with the drivers or wheel support in any game so far.

Support is excellent, if you want they even send you spare parts so you can do a quick repair yourself instead of sending in your whole wheel and be without it for weeks if something should ever break. Only thing I read from others is they seem to be picky about were you got your wheel from in case of warranty issues, so only buy from licensed vendors and not the cheapest possible online store if it's not listed on the Thrustmaster homepage.

11. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this is what I was thinking of doing, at least for the base unit, which seems to be the potentially the most troublesome part. Amazon are very good for returns usually, so would probably get it through them (direct, not Market Place), unless anyone can recommend some other reliable official UK-based retailers who are competitive on price?

12. EsxPaul

EsxPaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I got my G29 for £160 and the shifter for £25 at PC World over the last Christmas period.
    I am really happy with it, but I with it being my first wheel I don't have any point of reference to truly judge just how good/bad it is.

I originally had my heart set on the T300 along with a T3PA and TH8A, knowing full well that it was the superior choice, after much reading of forums and the like. I do still have the thought in the back of my mind that I should have stumped up the extra cash but at £185 in total it did give me the gateway to get into this hobby which I don't regret for a second.

I'd love to try out the other options but there is a part of me that doesn't want to feel gutted if I try something else and it makes my G29 decision seem really stupid.

13. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Not UK-based (they're in Germany I think) but selling and shipping to the UK: www.alternate.co.uk

I've ordered lots of stuff from their Belgian webshop already (the advantage being they also have a physical shop in Belgium, so it's all shipped from there to my work in Belgium) and I have had no complaints so far: competitive prices, very fast shipping and I've heard their support's good as well, but I can't testify to that as I've had no need for support so far.
    They have a good deal on the T500RS for the moment at £304. And even though it doesn't fit your space requirements and is maybe not within your planned budget, this one looks really sweet as well: https://www.alternate.co.uk/Thrustmaster/4460133/html/product/1215197?event=search

Servo base wheel with the TM28GT rim (which is great, I have one for my T500) AND the T3PA pedals !

14. Gareth Smith

Gareth Smith Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I love the T500, the strength possible in FFB is amazing and so far no issues at all. For space, i'm also very limited as play in my home office so use the Playseat Challenge and fold up and store in my garage when not in use. As you can see I even have a shifter and button box attached, although I have replaced the standard wheel plate with my own custom one. I used to have the Tx on a Wheel Stand Pro and it did move about under heavy FFB like when crashing.

Edit: Oh and I got used to the static paddles in about 3 seconds, they are wonderful and allow you to easily replace the rim that do not have paddles.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  15. Stiku

Stiku Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Don't be, unless you buy a wheel that is crap in your opinion, then it matters.

The problem is that, pretty much every wheel on the market has problems, some have more, some have less.
    Also there are technical differences, some are good and some are bad, then there are things that are advertised good but really they are bad.

Best thing would be to go on foot to a store and test the wheels first, before buying. read other users comments and try to make out a bigger picture of the product in whole. Just relying on few recommendations that are made the next day aren't that useful at all, things can change pretty quickly, even in couple of months you can start to hate something that you liked before.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've made lots of orders with Alternate Germany and they have possibly the best support next to Amazon. Extremely fast response times and very accommodating.

Don't know about the TX set you linked though, it's even more expensive than the T500RS in their shop but only has the T3PA pedals. The Leather 28 GT wheel is very nice though, I'm using it myself. That's the only real downside to the T500 imo, the wheel it comes with is made from plastic, gets dirty really quickly when driving without gloves and the material crumbles and sticks to your hands. I replaced it one or two weeks after I got the wheelbase and at the time I couldn't even get it cleaned anymore. It really feels out of place in this otherwise high-grade set.

17. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't know anywhere near me that has wheels that you can try out and (ironically) and going further afield is tricky as I don't actually own a car currently, as a bicycle is all I need to commute to work and visit friends etc. - I just hire a car when I need to do a longer journey that's tricky by train.

18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    That's package is actually quite tempting - the 28 GT wheel rim is the one I'm most interested in, and would actually prefer the T3PA pedals to the T3PA Pro ones. How does the TX base compare to the T300 base - I'm aware the former is XBox One compatible and the latter is PS4 compatible, but I don't currently have a console that it doesn't really matter much (though if I ever did by a console would actually more likely be an XBox One - for Forza/Forza Horizon). I'm also aware the TX "only" has 900 degrees of rotations, instead of 1800, through I don't think that's a big deal. Do they both have brushless motors and similar FFB?

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    From what I can tell the TX base does have the same(?) brushless motor as the T300 - so is the only really difference XBox One vs PS4 compatibility (if I had to choose, would prefer the former) and 900 degrees rotation vs 1080 (doesn't seem like a big deal). If so, then that TX package mentioned looks like it could be just what I need. Or am I missing some other benefits of the T300 base?

20. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I was just looking at this video review of the Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia - it's a little old, but the only issues they seemed to have with the TX package they reviewed was the rim (not the much better 28 GT wheel rim) and the pedals (not the better T3PA pedals) - so that TX Leather Edition package with the T3PA pedals looks like a great buy to me, unless I'm missing something?