Logitech G29 or G920

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -nOiSe-, Dec 19, 2016.

1. -nOiSe-

-nOiSe- Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Hi!
    I'm really thinking to buy a steerwhel and pedals and I like a lot Logitech stuffs.
    I was watching the official website and they have G29 and G920: inside the "specification" page it seems that both are compatible with a PC and Windows (is it correct?), but NOT with R3E. Is it real?
    What are the differences between them? I saw G29 has one more button and rpm leds, but what more?
    Maybe I'll also buy the "Driving force Shifter".

Thanks for the answers! :D

http://gaming.logitech.com/it-it/product/g29-driving-force
    http://gaming.logitech.com/it-it/product/g920-driving-force

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I think they use different axis designations - the G920 uses a "slider" axis for some of the pedals, whereas the G29 uses more conventional axis designations. This meant that the G920 didn't work with some games, but I *think* this has been addressed in most cases.

Apart from that that're basically the game wheel with a few button differences.

If they're the same price and you don't have a preference, get the G29 just-in-case.

The shifter is quite good IMO

3. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    There is no real difference between them.The G29 is compatible with PS4 + Pc ,whereas the the G920 is Xbox One + Pc compatible.So ,depending the console you have or plan to buy choose accordingly. If you don't care about consoles, buy the one you find cheaper and you re good.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I would steer clear of the g29. Mine lasted 4 months before there was a wiring issue that caused the buttons to go mental. It is a common issue with them apparantly. I returned it and got a t500 instead. I am now glad the g29 crapped itself so I could experience a better quality wheel.

5. -nOiSe-

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Ok! Thanks!! ;)

mmmmh this is a serious thing... I'll check it through the object's reviews... :confused:

EDIT: T500rs looks like very nice, but is a lot expansive than G29. I read some reviews about G29 and they say there are some problems with PC... Anyone are using it with a PC end RE3?! I'd like to be sure if it works properly with both before to buy... If not I think I'll try to search a T500rs offer (G29 is now in sale at about 200€ less than normal... XD )

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I'm running a Logitech G29 on PC with R3E. From my experience its a simple wheel to setup, and so far has been relatively bullet proof - while it's not what would be considered a top of the line wheel, it certainly does the trick.

I chose the G29 over the 920, for two reasons - 1: the leds add a little immersion (and makes the wheel look a little more like a true race wheel) as they flash away - you might not use them, but after a while with them, you certainly know when they aren't going! 2: The price and availability - I was in the hunt for a new wheel, and a sale at a local retailer came up with a good price, and at the time the 920 was still a while off from being released. I'm glad I grabbed the G29, as the 920 is quite buggy for PC games by the sounds - dunno why they are essentially the same wheel!. For a comparison I think I paid NZ$349 for the wheel/pedals and the shifter compared to the NZ$1300 for a similar Thrustmaster setup! :eek:

Now....I will say I've had a couple of "niggles" nothing serious just yet (and hopefully not for some time) As I mentioned above - you really notice when the Leds aren't working - for some reason they stopped after a R3E update - I fixed this by simply re-installing the Logitech gaming software! And the other thing is seemingly on-going and may (or may not) be experienced. When I first start R3E and enter a race the wheel will pull to the left (I have read others saying theirs pulls to the right) the fix for this is easy - I just forget to do it sometimes - go into the controller setup and "re-calibrate" the steering by simply turning the wheel through it's range...go back to the track and its all good. (probably should log this with Sector3 and see if theres any way they can fix it...but its not a big issue, and I would rather Sector3 concentrate on other bigger issues! :)

I haven't noticed too much noise coming from the wheel other than if the FFB is clipping (reduce minimum feedback) and by all accounts from the video's I've seen the paddles are a heck of a lot quieter than on some other wheels.

There ya go - hope that helps a little, just ask if you want to know anything else and I'll try to help...
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Would you mind sharing your force feedback settings please.

8. -nOiSe-

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this little "review"!! I would choose the G29 for the same thing you wrote in point number 1: the leds.
    Thanks a lot for the others advices. ;)

9. Sdemonnz

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hi Jimortality - sure thing, do bare in mind that FFB is generally a personal thing and my settings are still very much a "work in progress" - but I do like where they are sitting at the moment....

Take a look at my Steam guide here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211500/guides/?browsefilter=trend&requiredtags[]=Modding%20or%20Configuration&requiredtags[]=English

I like my wheel to have a bit of "weight" to it...which sometimes knocks back "actual" effects. I think there may still be a bit of clipping here and there....Anyway give it a try if you like and I'm more than open to any changes/suggestions you may have.

Cheers,
    Chris

10. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I tried your settings but they were a little too heavy for me. I turned down the in game damping to 40 and the lateral to 60 and the car multiplier in garage to 1200. I have slip on 50 and both steering and feedback intensity on 90. Still work in progress but I'm getting there. The only problem I have now is If I let go of the wheel on a straight, I get oscillation but I don't really want to turn the ffb multiplier down from 20 as it will give me a deadzone in the middle.

11. Sdemonnz

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I've been tweaking my FFB from the above guide over the past day or so....I'm moving away slighty from the "heavy" feel - still very much a work in progress myself - Just been running the Aquilla and getting some serious rapid clipping/shuddering....tweaked a little more and turned down the effect in the car setup....still there just not as pronounced.

The Oscillation on the straights you talk about is generally due to the "Minimum Force" setting being too high...knock it back 1 click at a time - you may not notice the difference FFB wise - but it might help eliminate the oscillation

I'll update my setup guide soon....
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  12. -nOiSe-

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I have another question about a thing I didn't noticed. Has G29 a power supply? If yes I think I can't buy it through some good offers in UK, because I'm from Italy... :disrelieved:

13. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I've knocked the minimum force down from 20 to 10 but I'm still getting oscillating. Not enough to throw the car off track but I suppose if you're doing 150mph, and you let go of the wheel surely there will be something happening?

14. Sdemonnz

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jimortality, maybe another thing to try is in the Logitech Gaming software - just check your "Steering Wheel Axis Properties" My current settings are:

Sensitivity: 75%
    Wheel operating range: 900deg
    Enable FFB centering spring : OFF
    Centering Spring: 0

Maybe the last two options are causing your oscillation issues? Just suggestion.
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  15. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it has a power supply.But why you can't buy from UK?They use AC current like the rest of Europe.And even if you get a DC model converters go pretty low(from less than 5 €).

16. -nOiSe-

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I already have anadapter and I searched through the net they have a little bit different tension than here, but I read also the supplies will work properly. ;)
    Thanks!

17. jimortality

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    This is where I'm at

Attached Files:

18. -nOiSe-

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    I just bought G29 + Shifter from Uk.