Look to apex.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krzysztof Volek, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I would really like to see this feature in R3E. It was doing good job in Race 07. I'm usually to lazy to put on headtracker for racing, and I'm using only one screen, so extra view to the side in turns would be nice thing.

• Agree Agree x 10
  2. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    if you have a G27 like me, there are 3 buttons for every thumb on the wheel. I have the middle buttons (so of the left 3 the middle and vice versa) to looking left and right so I can look around a little bit in tight corners with people around me. :D

3. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I have DFGT and I have more handy tool for this which is D-pad. But I use it only once at a time (did I mentioned I'm lazy? ;-) ) while driving in a crowd. Using buttons for views is not too convenient in itself. Look to apex was more natural.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. T_radley

T_radley Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I also missed this "look to apex" fonction. The only solution I found is buyingTrack-ir.
    It changed my life.
    I don't think I'm faster with it but it's a great help in traffic and in some right corners.
    It also get rid off this "turning around pivot" I felt so far.

5. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I use FreeTrack which is free alternative to TrackIR and it works very well in flight sims, but like I wrote before, for racing sims it's not that essential, so I usually don't bother with it (I need to mount my handmade clip on headphones and remember about having batteries charged for LEDs power source). Look to apex would be good enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. T_radley

T_radley Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My track clip is always attached to headphone. With TrackIR, no need for battery.
    So, starting it requests only one click action before launching the game.

7. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    That's nice, but I find 170$ (TIR 5 + track clip pro) somewhat expensive for device that is merely slightly modified webcam (well, sort of). My DFGT was much cheaper than this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Really ? Damn ! And me fool is asking myself for years, what meaning all these knobs and attached functions ingame have !
    Attached my wheel to the table and nothing happened again and again !
    Thank you,thank you, thank you !

*Look-to-Apex-PLZ ! :rolleyes:*

9. T_radley

T_radley Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I paid pack TrackIR4 (quite enough)+ track clip pro less than 130€.
    I agree it's bit expensive but I'm "coming from" GTR2 and Rfactor and really missed look to apex on modern sims (I play only AC and RRE ; I don't know if RF2 or Iracing have this function).

Sim racing is a hobby and I considered I can dedicate budget for that.

10. Krzysztof Volek

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Agree on this. I have no problem with buying stuff for racing (flying), but in this case asking for rather simple and small device without mechanical parts the same price that could get me a decent wheel is too much for my taste. Simracing is only one among many other hobbies I have (RC models and mountain biking to name just two of them) and I can always find better use for that amount of money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  11. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    With a working support for Oculus Rift I wouldn't need "look to apex", but unless there is a full support for the CV (hopefully there will be a full support) I would really like to have "look to apex". In PCars it's really great, even if you just set it to a minimum, it's very helpful to terminate blind spots in corners.

12. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I never liked the look to apex feature... I didn't since I firstly tried Shift 2 :confused:.
    It looked to me that an invisible force would grab your eyes and move them the way it wanted..
    Spooky! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    In shift 2 it was a bit over exaggerate. I think Race 07 had it right. But now that I race on triple screen i fiddle a bit with the camera and fov and I'm quite satisfied.

14. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how this was done in Shift 2, but with the adjustments that can be done within the PCars settings it's great. As I said, I just use a minimal effect setting and it feels quiet natural. I barely just don't notice it at all, only in sharp corners and there it's very helpful.

15. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    Here I found an example of how it was in Shift 2

If you take a look from 0:20 you see that the moment the car is approaching the turn the camera shifts right aiming to the apex: it was terribly annoying and disorienting... I believe PCars has done it right but I have way too many bad memories about that terrible effect!! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. TripleJay

TripleJay Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    yep, look2apex and some speedsensitive settings would be nice...pcars made it good (adjustable)

17. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Yes indeed, would also appreciate Look to Apex (right along with Lock to Horizon :)).
    I've mentioned this before but MagicFr's plugin RealHeadMotion (for AC & rF2) allows you to adjust the degree of head tilt and degree to which you look to apex as well as other parameters. Would love to have something similar available here.
    And obviously it's not just for single screen users, I have used triples for years and still appreciate the natural way the viewpoint shifts when entering the corner. Being able to adjust it (like the plugin I just mentioned) is icing on the cake!

Before I used triples I also tried out FaceTrackNoIR, the free software I think Krzysztof is referring to? It wasn't bad, it did require light in the room to work well and that made it sketchy for me. (Webcam needs to clearly see your head move)
    I also ended up tweaking it so it only used horizontal movement, no vertical as it got a little disorienting. It's easy enough to try for those who are curious.
    Bailey

18. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Ok, that's really annoying! I would hate it too, if it would be done like this! There has to be the possibility to adjust it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ::SKRO::

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
  20. Bailey Lagstrum

Bailey Lagstrum Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    LOL Says the Honey Badger licking his lips. haha

• Funny Funny x 2