Looking for some input on Monitor upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Exiled Scotsman, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Hi Folks,

I've been racing for quite a while now on a 24" monitor. However, after visiting a friend's house and having a blast on his setup, which includes a curved TV, I'm thinking about upgrading to this: https://www.ballicom.co.uk/lc32f391fwuxen-samsung-cf391-series-c32f391fwu.p1239218.html

I'm just wondering if anyone has a similar monitor, or has upgraded in a similar way and has any input/suggestions etc. I'd just like to know I'm getting my money's worth before I buy :).

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Just remember that that has a higher resolution and thus more pixels. Your gfx card must be able to handle it, or in other words: same card maybe will give you slower frames on same settings. Depends on your specs.

3. Exiled Scotsman

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input Skybird, I'm currently running on a GTX1080, so hopefully no issues there ;).

I think I will probably go ahead and get it, I will post up my feelings on it after using it for a few races, in case anybody else is thinking of doing a similar monitor upgrade.

4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    The one you linked to is 1920x1080 so unless your going for triples your gpu wont even be breaking a sweat. May be worth looking at something closer to 4k with your gpu if you can find one in your budget\price range.

5. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I recently swapped out my old tv for a curved tv, and I must say I really like it. The curved shape makes it feel much more natural when sitting close up, and I get an increased feeling of both depth and speed. Probably not as much as I would with triple screens, but with a lot less hassle and 1/3 of the cost. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Exiled Scotsman

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't agree more. Managed to grab time to have around two short races so far, and it's fantastic!

• Like Like x 1
  7. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    I have both a 32 inch curved and a 55". For my racing sims I think the 55" does a much better job. Its hard to get all my gear close enough to the 32" to get the most out of it. For up close gameing like shooters I like my 32 inch curved setup. I mention my 55" because there is a good chance you might have a larger screen you use for tv. The bigger the screen the more realistic it seems to feel. I guess in the end it really depends on how close you can get to your screens.

As far as going for 4k. The top graphics cards out today can run it, but not without exceptions and issues. I would stick to 1080p, 1200p or 1440p for one more release cycle.

8. Exiled Scotsman

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input DriftMachine, I've got my current rig pretty damn close to the screen, so 32" is sufficient.
    As for 4k, I'm currently using nvidia's DSR for this curved monitor, and 1440p on my main desk-bound monitor.

9. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    And without the option to tilt the camera, the horizon is pretty much locked in position in the middle of the screen. I wouldn't mount my screen any higher than this:
    DSC_0044.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the view you play. I prefer hood view. I never can understand why people like to play cockpit when they are already in a cockpit. My 55 is set perfect for my rig. My rig is elevated and my tv sits a little lower than most people's. Its the perfect balance.

I dont think my 55 is very large. I have an 80 inch I could have used instead. I actually bought this size tv specifically for my rig. It was mega cheap at only $500 and only has 14ms display lag.

11. Fleskebacon

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    I also never used the cockpit view until I had it set ut the way I have now. The cool thing about cockpit view and a large screen mounted low, is that the car interior kind of "blends in" with the rig. There is PLENTY of vertical space on a 55", and for me it makes more sense to use this space for car interior, rather than having an abundance of sky above my view. That being said, bonnet view probably gives you a better sensation of the surroundings.

But as with everything, and as we say in Norway (freely translated): "Personal taste is like the ass - it's divided". :D