Problem Losing time and positions to the AI on pitstops

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by James Cook, Apr 11, 2016.

1. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    As per the title, it seems the AI can carry out their mandatory pitstop much quicker than I can. It's frustrating to lose a few track positions through no fault of my own. Whatever the AI isn't doing in the pitlane, they can get in and out 5 or 6 seconds quicker than I can. It's almost as if they are not changing tyres.

Refuelling is not the issue here either. This problem has existed for a long time before that.

Can this be looked into please?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    did you announce the pitstop before entering the pit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Do you see a "Waiting" message after you've pulled into your pit spot?
    In that case it might be that you've announced and confirmed your pit stop a little late. We do simulate the pit crew needing some time to set up after your call, so if you only confirm do so while already in the pit lane you're going to have to wait for them to get ready.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I have the same issue, as far as I know you can only confirm once in the pit lane, I always do so as soon as it shows up as white. Every pit stop I lose a number of places and that is just to the cars that pit after me. I have never not lost places it is very frustrating. I have even had cars pit in the same pit box as me even though I am already there and even they have left before me!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    You can announce your pit stop before going into the pit lane by activating the "Pit Request Toggle" function (which is assignable in the Primary Functions section of Controller settings). This allows you to set which actions should be performed before going into the pit lane.

Please note that you'll still be asked to confirm the actions upon entering the pit lane.

6. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yep I do all that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    May I ask what session settings you guys are running with? Car classes and Tracks etc.

8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Happens with all car classes I have used, 30 min races, mandatory pit stop, championship, happens with all tracks too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gladys Maria

Gladys Maria Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Do you just have to pull the pit menu up to book a pitstop or do you have to press another button to confirm it as well i have always found them confusing i just pit in and do it all in the pits no wonder i always come out many places behind.I have it assigned to a button on the wheel i press to bring it up on screen then press it right away to make it disappear is this way incorrect i don't confirm anything.

10. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yes I send in a pit request, and the pit action window comes up as soon as I enter pit lane. But I cant even select the confirm action box let alone confirm (if I don't get run over first) until the car comes to a full stop. track is Oschersleben adac 2014

11. TheFlash

TheFlash Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Same here (losing time to AI at mandatory pit stops).

First I thought that I do something just not good enough. I thought I may be too slow driving to the pit lane resp. breaking to early. After watching several replays of different races I've seen that it's not the case. For example: Yesterday I did a 30min GT3 race at the Nürburgring. I've requested the pit stop at the beginning of the lap. I was in the 1st place, 4 AI's close behind me. The replay showed that at the point where I was at the entry line, me and all 4 AI's where bumper to bumper. As soon as I was in the pit lane I confirmed the pit stop. In the end I came out in 5th place, half a second behind the 4th place, about five seconds behind the new 1st place. Pit stop time was, as always with the GT3 cars, 5.1 or 5.2 seconds. This happens every time when doing a mandatory pit stop, with all GT3 cars (I only drive those), on all tracks, AI difficulty between 107 and 110 (depending on the track), independent of the race length. I drive on amateur physics model so no fuel consumption or tire wear.

I don't know if the AI only changes two tires or what's causing the time difference between the pit entry line and pit exit line - but I can confirm that it's always occurs. Would be nice if you guys could look into that!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    This.

@Hannes Wallstedt

I request the stop well before I enter the pitlane (normally a few corners prior) but, as above, can only confirm the actions once I enter the pitlane.

* please note: it's not ideal having to fumble around with a keyboard to confirm actions while trying to race! Could this process be streamlined so that the preferred pitstop preset is enacted automatically without the need to confirm?*

Then I normally lose 5 or 6 seconds to the AI. Doesn't matter which class or track...always happens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Also, the pit request menu is huge and obscures too much of my view.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. c3lix

c3lix Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Wrote this already in another thread. Same problem. Devs and testers should know this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    At least it has been acknowledged.

I tried another race last night just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

- Requested pitstop beginning of lap.
    - Pull into pitlane directly behind another car (Ford GT).
    - Confirm stop as soon as I enter the pitlane.
    - Carry out the pitstop.
    - Watch the Ford GT leave the pitlane about 4 seconds before I do, losing another 4 places in the process.

Sorry, something is not right here.

16. Hannes Wallstedt

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Been doing some testing here in the office along with one of our beta testers this morning.
    I've used the GTR3 cars for this, going from track to track performing mandatory pit stops. AI at 100.

At least on my end these tests have been performed in the public build, so no development magic going on here.

What I've been doing:
    • Race as normal, but not getting into the lead (I want a car ahead of me to compare against)
    • Once that car heads into the pits I follow suit.
    • On my approach to the lane I press the button I've bound to "Pit Request Toggle". As I've got a preset that has the required action for RRRE (Changing a single set of tyres) I don't need to do anything else at this point.
    • Quickly take a screenshot just before the Pit line where AI control starts (To see the split time before entering pits)
    • When I've entered the pits, the Pit dialogue asks me to confirm the highlighted actions, which I by pressing the button bound to "Pit Menu Select"
    • The AI Control puts me in my pit stop and performs the stop
    With this I've been averaging pit stop times of around 3.6-3.8 seconds.

Compared to the AI I've followed I actually gained time in the majority of cases, averaging around 0.09 seconds gain although I did have one session where I lost 0.7 seconds.

As I said above, one of our Beta testers helped out with this and found the following:

Not requesting the pit stop before entering the pit lane added about 2-3 seconds of "Preparing" at the start of the pit stop. If you're then switching out that extra set of tires which can add about an extra second you're getting close to those extra five seconds you mention above.

In addition he also found that selecting the refueling action will add time even if you have chosen to add '0' liters of fuel. This latter one is a slip-up on our part and will be fixed.

So, from what we can see from our testing this morning there's no observable advantage that is being enjoyed by the AI Drivers in terms of pit stops. They're simply only performing the absolute minimum of actions that are needed during their pit stops.

What does seem to be the problem is poorly explained mechanics and a clunky piece of UI that the AI obviously doesn't have to care about. Both of these are things that we very much would like to address, but that I cannot offer any timeline for at this time.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Most probably this^.
    You have to actually disable the refuelling option in the pitstop preset (click on it so it's not green anymore). Otherwise time will be added for putting on and taking off the nozzle, even if no fuel is added.

18. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Yep, done that too. As stated in the first post, this issue has been around long before refuelling was introduced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Strange. Also only changing one tyreset (front or rear, not both)?

20. James Cook

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Both tyre sets, which obviously accounts for some time, but how am I to know what the AI is doing in the pits? I guess most people assume you pit for a full set on a mandatory stop.

Pitstops have been a bit of a grey area in this game. Poorly communicated.

• Agree Agree x 2