Released Mantorp Park

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Driven by the legendary Björn Wirdheim!

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Do you have real life experience from the track?

3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    If you have own onboard videos of your racing activities on this track, so please upload them or better, make comparison video of the real track and the R3E version. Something like this: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/raceroom-vs-real-life.3542/ Thank you in advance for your help.

PS: I also noticed some discrepancies ... more on this later.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. Bandini

Bandini Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Not sure how long ago the old part of Mantorp was last used, but it was already in disrepair 20 years ago.

5. Lasse Oinas

Lasse Oinas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bandini

Bandini Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I agree. It's been a few years, but the chicane is pretty much how I remember it. Basically a straight line to the apex. And Mjölbykurvan is very noticably lower than everything else, as this image illustrates (just something I found online).

7. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Track, Great work ! Thanks S3.
    I still feel something is missing????:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I know. Its a shame for me :-(
    (1980 the straights where killed -> http://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/sweden/mantorp-park.html#.WNyi6G-LSUk)

Maybe S3 can think about making historic tracks from tracks they are already in the game (Karlskoga as well - 1994 layout). If i remember correct it was mentioned here, that it is not impossible that they release a historic silverstone laypout).

With the straights, the two tracks shoult be a lot of fun with GT3.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. F_FLETCHER

F_FLETCHER Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Bought!!! ;) Beautiful track, I already like it in RACE 07. I like the nature from sweden ;), more tracks please.

Next is Anderstorp, BOOOOUGHT!!! :cool:;)
    THX so much S3!!!
    Raceroom bring light in my life!!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    You mean it has tarmac and some trees? !!!

The feel and flow of the track is definitely not "quite similar". Karlskoga is tight and technical, like an oversized go-kart track, while Mantorp is wide and flowing, even the chicane. With the silhouettes, it somehow manages to balance tight corners with curving exits that just seem to pull the car free of the low gears.

Buddy, next time try the track before making sweeping statements!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm almost certain they did think about that. ;)
    It's not so much an issue of want, but of added value. They have the choice to either create historic layouts of tracks that are already in the game or to create additional, new to the game tracks. If you'd have to chose between introducing Imola or a former layout of Mantorp, what would you prefer? I assume the majority of users would prefer the first option. (Plus of course, there's the financial aspect, releasing a new track equals more income than creating more layouts of an already existing one.)

Also, this again would let the djin out of the bottle, requests for all sorts of historic layouts would come flying in once they released the first one.

Maybe there'll come a day where historic layouts are going to be considered, it's not like the developers and publishers don't know or like them. But for the time being there's more than enough tracks that aren't in the game, yet would add so much more to the package than another variation of what we already have.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  12. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    On this passage Slovakiaring and Lausitz came in my mind. Two tracks, with much potential if more layouts are opened.

The amount of work should be manageable if the track already exists. I was working in modelling for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    The assumption there, right or wrong, is that people would object to paying for 'old' (or 'already owned') content.
    I have more than enough tracks already on RRE, let alone the other games I own. I bought the two Swedish tracks more as a show of support to Sector 3 than because I needed them.
    It's not charity though - the tracks are definitely worth the money!

£2.00 to get the reverse version of Spa? Ker-Ching! Take my money.
    Nurburgring is also excellent in reverse. Not so sure about the Nordschleife though! :eek:

People pay for extra liveries.......

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Thats the point. No problem for pay an Eur or two for additional layouts.

The one who owns R3E has the habit of paying ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    BTW just a while ago I discovered that the second Indianapolis layout is a reverse of the other. The arrow on the track layout icon is so small you can't see it until you try the track. And it feels like a completely different drive.
    I've often wondered why not release the reverse of all tracks. Sure its not realistic, and there's some AI work involved, but could be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I actually think that's the main point that's holding back reverse layouts. That *some* is quite a pile of work. But it's not only AI work at all, just do the test and drive backwards down any given track in practice mode. There are many objects that would have to be re-arranged or re-modelled, cameras re-organised, cut detection limits adapted....
    And the visible and invisible walls at the edges of the drivable track would have to be re-done, cause right now there's many bays and such that allow you to drive into them when going backwards, which would act like barriers.

;)

Let's hear the opinion of the people responsible for the shop and sales mechanics on this proposal. ;)
    AfaIk that simply wouldn't be possible atm, technically, so the store and everything connected to it would have to be adapted for that purpose. Plus I guess it wouldn't fall in line with the sales strategy.
    The only way of having this with the system as it is would be to introduce the alternative layouts as separate tracks, but imagine being a newcomer to RR and seeing the same track twice in the store, each a set of layouts with its own pricetag. Bad.

Recently I've been made aware of an interesting little article which is loosely related to this whole post. Found it to be a worthwhile read:
    http://kotaku.com/five-things-i-didn-t-get-about-making-video-games-unti-1687510871

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Reverse tracks..
    Not for me, I know some people like the concept, just not me.
    Let's keep it 'real'. (I know it is a video game...).
    As Christian has stated, to reverse run tracks involves a lot of unseen work.
    Perhaps it would be better to focus on making and selling some more 'big' name tracks.

Historic tracks do sell; PCars sold a few.
    So, the market is there.
    Maybe down the line, that could happen.
    Nice excuse for some lovely old cars....
    But hey, all this is very easy to say, however the work involved is another story..

• Like Like x 6
  18. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Christian.
    You make some terrible points.
    Educated. Accurate. Honest.
    But still Terrible.

For the record, If Sector 3 only achieve what they have posted in the latest roadmap, then I will still be happy with where this game is going.
    It's still my #1

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Interesting read.
    I particularly liked this paragraph:
    "Game devs are not a bunch of oblivious monkeys who smash their keyboards with crosseyed indifference"
    Who knew? :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    No, that's us Forum Trolls.

• Funny Funny x 1