Problem Massive FPS Drops

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by kL1ck, May 14, 2018.

1. tobiaspitzer

tobiaspitzer Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    As already mentioned. I have already tried and set everything in the in-game graphics settings, including setting down the details on the vehicle and the track.
    Details such as shadows or contact shadows are set to low settings.
    It makes no difference whether I use the old HUD or the webhud.
    In rFactor2, for example, everything runs without problems, even with higher graphics settings.

2. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Your system should have no trouble running the game at 40fps or above even on high settings. As it is a laptop, did you try switching from Nvidia card to Intel onboard? Does that make the FPS even worse? Did you try putting the time of day transition to 0 in single player mode? Is it the same in single and multiplayer mode?

For me it was simply getting rid of Webhud that brought my FPS back up again.

3. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    The problem with the graphics cards is that if I only use the Intel card, I cannot activate the settings of the NVIDIA card.
    With 1GB RAM, the Intel is too weak, I think, to play the game smoothly.
    It makes no difference whether I play with or without the time of day.
    It also jerky in the Mulipliplayer, but it continues to run without influencing the input devices.

4. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Have you done a FPS comparison when running Intel and Nvidia cards on the same track? What are the results?

What about the processor power management? Are you on max performance or balanced mode?

5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    The intel chip would be too weak, even if it had 16 GB of RAM.

But you have created a profile for RRRE inside the nVidia control panel?

6. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I know that the Intel chip with 1GB is too weak. I don't even have to try that.
    In the NVIDIA Control Panel I have already tried and changed everything. Unfortunately without any noticeable improvement.

7. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I can't really do a FPS comparison because the graphics chips are interdependent.
    However, I canceled the automatic selection in the global settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel. But it makes no difference.
    In the game settings, I basically only use the NVIDIA chip as the main chip.
    At the moment I use Ultimate Performance as a Win10 energy profile. It doesn't make any difference which profile I set.

8. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    But you haven't answered my question. Did you create a specific profile for RaceRoom from inside the nVidia control panel?

The reason for my question is the following: on laptops - which usually have 2 GPUs - the nVidia GPU can only be used for applications that have a profile created for them. All applications without a profile will automatically use the "basic" GPU, which usually is from Intel and is not suited for gaming. So any general settings you make from inside the nVidia control panel will not have any effect on an application without a profile, because the nVidia GPU isn't being used in the first place.

For nearly every game I know there is a profile created automatically by the nVidia control panel, so you don't have to do it yourself. But this is not the case for RaceRoom. RaceRoom is not recognised as a 3D app/game by nVidia control panel and no default profile is created automatically. So as long as you don't create a profile manually (and manually set it to use the nVidia GPU) you will not even use the nVidia GPU.

No, they are not. As described you can specify explicitly which GPU to use for any application after creating a profile for this very application. At least this is the case for every laptop I have come across in the last 5-10 years or so.

9. RWB Rodders

RWB Rodders Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Bit late to the show but only got my FFB back on Friday. I'm also away atm so not got my rig to give more info but this is what I've seen the past few days playing.

Setup
    Rift S
    1080Ti
    i5 8600K @ 4.7GHz
    OSW

Noticed in game that I was dropping to ASW 40FPS where before it never dipped under 80FPS (I actualy had ASW switched off - didn't need it). This is happening in MP and single player.

I ran the Oculus Debug tool with ASW enabled and noticed that in-game my performance overhead sits at 99% but I'm often locked at 40FPS. This will generall jump to 80 FPS as the pack thins but will dip to 40 at points on the track (track dependant). This is not normal. THis doesn't happen in any other VR sim title (I'm usually around 20-40% overhead in the debug tool) and didn't happen before the patch.

Additionally, my CPU is approx 80% utilisation and my GPU is only 40-50%.

I've reset controller and graphics config, reduced various settings, checked NVidia profiles, SteamVR settings everything I can think of and it doesn't help.

I'll post logs etc when I'm back but something isn't right. I appreciate the Oculus overhead measurement looks like some sort of fault with the tool interpreting the actual overhead but it didn't happen before the patch and doesn't with any other game I've checked (PCars2, Dirt Rally 2, Various Oculus VR only titles) and requires explanation.

I eventually got some semblance of consistent frame rate by reducing my SS by 40% but now the game looks a lot worse.

One issue causing performance issues in MP is the time progression. We tested this with the club and when we switched off time progression almost everyone's frame rates shot up, sometimes doubled so there appears to be various things affecting graphics performance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps time progression should be removed from multiplayer mode at least until a fix can be found to stop it penalising FPS so much.
    For @tobiaspitzer you can check if RRE is really using your Nvidia card by doing and ALT-CTRL-DEL when the game is runnning and then checking if the Nvidia activity notification icon in taskbar is black or coloured. You´ll need to have it selected as visible in the taskbar from Nvidia control panel first.

I would definitely do a back to back FPS test with the intel card and the nvidia one as a first step to troubleshoot. If the FPS are similar then there is clearly an issue with the Nvidia card or its configuration.

11. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    As for the settings of the NVIDIA card, I know what you mean. I did not express myself very clearly. I also created a profile in the settings for the programs. Also for Raceroom. There I set the NVIDIA chip for all games as a GPU. Even with the global settings and the PhysX configuration, only the NVIDIA chip is used.

12. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Something definitely not right after the update, time progression on and Zhuhai was a slideshow at 34fps, time progression off and 90fps but also other tracks across the board were lower fps just not as bad, also shader quality on high seems to affect fps quite badly turned it to med and gained more again and it looked a lot better, I've also noticed a slight blur that wasn't there before, just doesn't look as crisp as it did imo.

13. Andy0340

Andy0340 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't play in vr but will post this as hopefully it will help someone as it's made a huge difference to me .
    Since the December update I've been struggling with inconsistent frame rates and frame timing regardless off graphics settings or resolution , I know this because 1 it's been bad enough to see and feel with the naked eye , 2 I always use MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Pre update I was getting a rock solid 60fps with vsync on , since update I've been seeing drops as low as 40fps . Have tried every suggestion going with no success until this morning , two things I did differently was to turn CPU min usage in win10 power settings too 8 percent from 0 and run the game without MSI afterburner / rivatuner . Bingo !! Silky smooth 60fps again ( monitored with steam FPS overlay ) couldn't believe it ! Had just about given up , not sure if it's relevant to you vr users but hopefully will be useful to someone .

14. kevink63

kevink63 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you're a Rift user Oculus released a PTC version a day or two ago, which mostly fixed the VR frame rate issue for me. Not quite as good as before (v1.43) but really close. To get it, opt in for Beta version 12.1 (under Beta tab, tick Public Test Channel box). After it updates, it will read 12.0.0.282.268 (12.0.0.281.268) in general tab.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  15. doclucio

doclucio Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    hi guys, i have a valve index and a gtx 1080ti, was stable on 90fps before the huge update and now i am always struggling to reach 60. i will try tomorrow to set time progression to off and see if that is the issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    It certainly kills my frame rates

17. doclucio

doclucio Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    GUYS COM0LETELY AGREE, ACCELERATED TIME MORE THAN 0 KILLS FPS BY 20 TO 30...POSTED IT LIKE A PROBLEM / BUG.HOPE THEY FIX

• Like Like x 1
  18. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Have on and also at my laptop now again something changed. Uninstalled the WebHUD and used the old original HUD again. This brought already between 10 and 20 FPS more on average and a little less lags.
    Since I also noticed that the laptop gets quite warm while playing, I bought a laptop cooler.
    And I have to say it has definitely brought improvement. It is not yet optimal, but much better than before. I have some short lags every now and then, but I can still continue. Also the input from the steering wheel or the keyboard works, which was not possible before when the lags appeared.
    At the moment I'm halfway satisfied, but I will probably look for further improvements.

19. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes, rear mirror, web HUD, track animations, shadows and shaders are the biggest enemies for lower end systems together with the variable time of day setting. I also find the number of other cars in multiplayer sessions dramatically affects FPS, with 15-20 cars it is ok but any more than that sees lags happening.

Are you using an SSD like Crucial MX? THose ones seem to heat up a lot. Also maybe the thermal paste on the card and processor needs redoing and the dust cleaned from the laptop fan as all these things could impact on performance if the pc throttles back due to overtemp.

20. tobiaspitzer

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Rearview mirror, shadows and track animations are set to low. The AI opponents I have set to 15 at most.
    I do not have an SSD hard drive. I haven't looked up the thermal paste yet. I haven't unscrewed the laptop yet either. Cleaning is done with vacuum cleaner and the onboard fan cleaning.