Maths - Brains - Question - My Brain Freezes ;)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Not Lifting Off, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I would love to say it helps but think i would be lying ;)
    As for my 144, visualising it with photoshop made it so much easier for me to understand and see the answer i wanted, you could type all week, if i cant see it i`ll never get it :eek:

Thanks for all the replies.

Edit - I followed your link and saw this
    Exercises
    Your wardrobe consists of 5 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, and 17 bow ties. How many different outfits can you make?

Its easy without looking at the answer 5 x 3 x 17 = 255

Why was that so easy yet i couldnt get my head around the same thing with four number? Weird wiring going on in here :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say your wiring is perfectly normal. What I found time and again while tutoring kids was that the concept and wording of a problem are hugely important. Put the same basic idea into a difficult concept and most people will struggle to get their head around it even tho it's the same thing.

When you use groups of people and tables I guess most people intuitively form a picture in their mind, like a garden party or a restaurant and things start getting very complex when you imagine a person or a social situation instead of sth simple like a sock. ^^
    It often helps to try and dissect these problems into singular events or replace the original items with sth more tangible.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  3. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    Ooh, that was my main problem with college maths. As long as I can visualise it I'm fine, but with more advanced stuff it often switches to abstraction and what's basically a play with symbols, at that point I easily get lost. I'm not a big fan of "pure" maths. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Deal a round of Omaha and i can tell you odds, outs ev percentages anything you want almost instantly, put that info into numbers on a page and i wouldnt have a clue what you were talking about, strange brains we live in ;)

• Agree Agree x 1