Released May 31st - Update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 31, 2018.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, all true and valid points which I'd subsume under realism aspects. And I agree that it would make less sense in short races, so it'd need to be an option, not mandatory.
    I'm still wondering about long term use tho, even in longer races. I imagine it being interesting to try out a couple times if it was introduced, but in the long run I can see myself not sticking to it as I imagine the boredom factor overwhelming the initial wow-effect.
    And as you pointed out, balancing all those calculations that'd have to be made to determine when an incident justifies a SC phase and how long that phase would have to be would be quite a task. Doable, as those other sims prove, but again a case of would it be worth investing the ressources or should we concentrate on other features, at least for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    For now - no, I think there are more benificial features that should have higher priority.

But if I think about the Game GTR3 - not sure what it will contain or end up - I can imagine, that something like Safetycar could be interessting there. And in that case, it could be something that maybe could be taken over in Raceroom.
    Especially in Endurance-Races Safetycars are a bit annoying for those in front of the race, but for the field behind and especially for those causing the Safetycar it can lead to a chance for a comeback...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's one of my biggest worries tbh, J-F causing a SC deliberately every couple laps so he can close that rapidly increasing gap. ^^
    I guess if we had SC I'd strongly request the car(s) causing it to be fatally damaged and hence out of the race, otherwise there'd be too much opportunity for abuse.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    More important than the safety car is a penalty on crossing the white line on pit exit. I like that feature in PC2.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Here is my current list of "OMG every other game has this except for raceroom" stuff

-Slowdowns need fixing, better but still buggy. Manual way to serve penalties would be welcomed, cutting the throttle mid corner is just bad
    -no cooldown lap after race
    -qualifying ending right after the time runs out and not letting you finish the started lap
    -no rollings starts for multiplayer
    -no ai selector singleplayer
    -no false starts
    -no quickchat and no propper chat system in general
    -Can't ajust FOV ingame
    -Can't stall the cars
    -Working lights in cockpit, ABS ligh when ABS is triggered, when lights are turned on etc .... Currently this doesn't happen.
    -STOP SHOWING THE FREAKING KTM GT4 IF ITS NOT IN THE FREAKING GAME !!!
    -kick / ban feature (at least kick would be interesting, this one is controversial)
    -Limit number of cars/classes in multiplayer. So a server can choose to have, for exemple, a server can select to have 10 gt3 and 10 lmp2 max
    -Leaving pits and crossing line detection
    -Let server set limit of contacts for a race
    -Add decimal place to brake bias on setup menu. you can't tell if its 50.0% or 50.5% in some cars
    -Update Porsche sounds (been kinda fixed, there will be a new sound engine though)
    -Track grip doesn't vary through the race, it does change from session to session.
    -Driver rankings with all the safety ratings and stuff, ELO system.
    -no tyre pressure options
    -Update old cars phisics, lmp2's deserve a update since they actually look decent
    -Updated damage model
    -Driver Swap
    -Can't go to menu and back to race
    -Esport viewer in game, watch someone elses race inside the game like DOTA 2 and CSGO have.
    -AI Agression
    -Mirror ajustment
    -Tab showing the class on the general overview in the menu
    -Show more info in the session info menu like mandatory pitstop or not.
    -DX11 update, UE4
    -Safety car, Code 60 , VSC , FCY, etc...

And "those" things.

-Full dynamic track
    -Night
    -Rain
    -Playing offline
    -Bands Hatch GP

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Basic stuff. Should be in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Every other game offers every single item from that list? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Cmon now, I know you have a better sense of humor than that. I even put it in quotation marks just to make sure people don't take it seriously ahahaha

9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I do. I even put a smiley at the end just to make sure people don't take it seriously ahahaha :p

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you that without debris or piles of cars disabled SC is kind of useless in virtual racing. But I personally find it very immersive, as it brings my experience one step closer to the real autosport (just as penalizing damage, mechanical failures, flat spots, engine stalls, real weather do). F1 has SC, DTM has it too, so simulator replicating those series should have it, just as it should have rain, but I understand this is much, much bigger thing to ask. While SC is not such a big part of race strategy on road tracks as it is for ovals, I still find it really spicing things up - to pit or not to pit, to slow grid down or no, etc. Even a limited implementation like rF2 has is better than nothing, but that's just me probably :) It is also useful for rolling starts. To me it is one of the top things I am still waiting to see in R3E. Maybe one day we'll see debris taken away by virtual marshals, SC will be objectively useful then :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    In IR every lap on ovals , lol its a real PITA !
    rF2 its used with the rules option so itsi easily turned on or off .
    This a great example of how frustrating the iR (or any Sim) safety car can be

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    How do i restart a MP race ? Get all 20 players to line up again :p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    We need cars to actually crash/suffer mechanical failures and retire first before a safety car has any worth. But I agree, it adds to the immersion. Maybe one day...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I assume they got some kind of virtual safety car system?
    Or to be more precise a virtual virtual SC. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    That's the point Xon also missed in his list :An increased damage model (incl. different damage levels to select from) . From almost three years of League Racing I can state that it would be the right addition to truely "Get Real" in terms of avoiding endless discussion & annoyment from evitable incidents & accidents due to overambitioned and aggressive driving you can get away with, simply because you don't have to worry much about the consequences of your actions (and learning about is an essential lesson of live in general btw.isn't it ? )....
    So under League conditions and specially when the pressure rises high during a competition, it would help a lot to make sure nobody starts some unsafe moves just because he can, except you want to wreck your car/ruin your race on purpose

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, saw that yesterday and wanted mto post it, but you beat me to it.Empty Box really had a great time with this one LOL. The leading guy quit, that says all.

However, if you go to 49:50 to see just the summary of events, you see how many, how many incidents there have been, and the problem is not the safety car, but the driving of the drivers before. Damning the saftey car for that perfect showcase of mess and drama caused by incompetent driving means to want getting away with this incompetent driving - or with fields of drivers not able to drive. iR seems to have made it so easy to achieve higher licenses that now drivers hold high class license that they are not fit to hold: or cars too difficult to drive have been placed in too low license classes, I don't know.

The occasional yellow flag is okay, I recall that from Nascar 2003. What is to be seen in that race, is ridiculous.

Me, I prefer a competent AI anyway. No timetable and no timing needed. Pacecars I nevertheless want to have - and the occasional - the OCCASIONAL - incident caused by the AI. Its human, and for an AI: its perfect mimikry.

Watch the summary, 49:50 on.

17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    if we should get a safety car in r3e one day... let us drive it in multiplayer for example :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Well, unfortunately rF2 does not have VSC, but I think it can be implemented as a plugin in the future (when they allow UI from plugins), that will be a lot of work though and a complicated plugin. I believe AC has VSC app.
    The SC in rF2 is a real deal, but unfinished, needs polish. It triggers when accident severity exceeds some threshold, like 2-3 cars block the roadway. Sensitivity is configurable. Sometimes triggers inappropriately, but sometimes is very immersive. 1 SC phase in 3 races is realistic in my opinion.

I would however agree with @James Cook that penalizing damage is nr.1 thing missing in R3E today. Even something simple like in rF1/rF2 will be a step forward, but hopefully S3 will aim for higher goals, say iRacing levels of damage. When I make a big mistake and crash and come out unscratched, that's just.... demoralizing in sim :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Well, seems that that you never kissed a wall with the Porsche GTR3 or the McLaren :p
    Even theses car don't have their motor at the front you can have motor failure by just sliding along the rails :confused:

But I agree with you, these are the exception :rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Lachaussette

Lachaussette Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    And I regret this because of the amazing liveries of this season :(

• Agree Agree x 1