News Mercedes-AMG online race competition

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, May 7, 2016.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's a semi valid point from my pov, you're using sb who breaks a law as comparison and that ain't fair cause those drivers act with the boundaries of the rules that have been set, not outside of them like sb who steals sth does.
    This is from yesterdays race:

From 0:00:13 to 0:00:20 I'm counting 5 cars which go way beyond what I would consider the track boundary, yet for safety reasons that was acceptable. (Here's the whole race, there were several more incidents were a driver had to leave the track.) I know it's a special phase (t1, lap 1) and they don't do it all the time, but if we want the game to account for such situations - which do happen more often than not - then it has to give some leeway. Either that or we have to introduce stewards that monitor every race and judge every situation.

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Your entire post describes fairly well how I feel about this issue.

I can vouch for what Christian is saying though too. This has been heavily discussed among the beta-testers with some differing opinions.

Personally, I think everyone should have a sense of respect for others and not egregiously exceed the tracks white lines (even if the game doesnt give a penalty for it) simply because this is the right thing to do. Yes, motor racing is a sport, but you can go about winning in different ways. Either by using every technicality to your advantage (such as lenient track boundaries) or race cleanly with more skill than others.

Tracks do get looked at for lenient boundaries though, and there should be updates to some tracks in the future. So, dont think that every track will forever remain as it is now.

The solution to this problem though, seems fairly straight forward if it is technically possible (which I dont know if the game engine can support this), and if it wouldnt take a year to implement (which it would assuredly take a lot of time to implement :p ).

And this solution is to have 2 separate cut track rules. 1 set of cut track rules for races... Where corner exits are lenient so you can do side by side racing without being penalized. And a 2nd set of rules for time trials, leaderboards, and competitions. Where the track limits are set very strictly, and you cant go way outside the kerbs without getting an invalid lap.

To me, this makes the most sense. Since you really have no reason to exceed the white lines in a time trial. Yes some tracks allow the use of kerbs, and this could be factored in. But T1 of Hockenheim or RBR would be vastly changed under this scenario in time trials.

Of course, that is just a wish of mine, and I dont know if it is feasible, but without something like that... there will never be a one size fits all answer since no one set of cut track rules will be fair in both racing and time trials. :(

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    @nate

Just like in iRacing. Fully agreed!

4. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    You know, my problem is not that when somebody makes accidentally a wide turn. In the Nuerburgring example, I told you, the person did that all the time. And that's my main problem.

5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Again, how should the game know whether it's the one or the other?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Nate wrote a great thing - same thing can be introduced which you can find in iRacing.

The program counts how many times you go off the track, and after a number (for example, 12) it gives you a penalty.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    The system can see if you are with four wheels outside the white lines.
    Give the car the moment that he is of track an speed limit wich go of when he's inside the white line with two wheels.

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Could result in contact with other cars not expecting that imo ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Contact with other cars can always happens.
    Thats in real racing to and than the good one have always bad luck.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but you don't want to make it easier for contact to happen, especially in public lobbies. There was a discussion before about the slow down penalties and how they cause crashes. I don't think a speed limit is a good solution.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Only speed limit at the time when you off track.
    When you see another driver off track you must always be carefull when he comes back on track, so it doesn't matter if he is slower al the time he's not with at least two wheels on the track.
    I don't see the problem for be speed limit only the time off track (ofcourse only at that moment and not when he's back on track)

12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That's not what nate suggested.
    His suggestion is
    I kinda see the merit in this but don't see how it would change the situation you're talking about, in a race. We'd still have the lenient rules we have right now.

You suggest a counter, but that doesn't prevent abuse either, does it? If anything, a specific value of "free shots" has the potential of making things even worse cause the eager driver will exploit that knowledge as well and use them strategically, to prevent being overtaken or cut a chicane alltogether, until he's out of free rule breaches.

So far the only working sollution I've heard is strict rules: Two wheels within the lines, always. But for the reasons mentioned above that probably won't happen. So the next best thing is to find a bunch of honorable opponents who share your views on racing ethics.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Simple, easy fix, two wheels inside the white lines on track at all times, no messing, no issue, everyone then has to abide by the same ruleset, whether its true to life or not is kinda irrelevant, its a game and as such can have the little variation, altho everyone can cut if they choose some prefer not too just because.

Some may not like it but after a few weeks crying about it everyone will be used to it and just get on with racing in a fair and correct manner.

My 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Well, imagine this scenario: turn 1 at hockenheim or spielberg, start of the race and everyone is bunched up. Leader makes a mistake and goes wide, he puts his 4 wheels outside of the white line(but just barely), the speed limit kicks in. Now, the guy in second place does a perfect line and puts the 2 wheels he's allowed on the rumble strips, he's not expecting the leader to slow down. Can you see the huge pile up that's about to happen?
    That's my problem with your suggestion, i think it creates dangerous situations, most guys aren't careful enough to make this work.

I like the warning system with a few strikes before a penalty, but i can see the potential for abuse. Maybe a time penalty could be added at the end of the race, that doesn't disrupt the race for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    iRacing have 2 different cutting rules...a strict one during qualifying, and a lenient one during the race. I meant this thing under 'same stuff in iRacing', probably I wasn't very clear. (And I suggest that counter for the race, not the qualifying...)

Well, sorry, but it's not an option. Or, at least, not for me. It's not like 'if you don't like the meal, go somewhere else'.

Sad to see that mentality which is getting more and more popular nowadays...

16. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Maybe seperate thread as this is getting off topic and distracting from the actual purpose of this thread imo

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But if there's a lenient ruleset during race sessions, how does that cure anything you're complaining about, especially people cutting in a race? Same goes for the incident counter, as I pointed out above.
    I never said you should go somewhere else. You're implying that every single player in RR behaves like that one user you mentioned, which doesn't correspond with my personal experience. But maybe that's just because I'm an unbelievably lucky guy.

18. RaceRoom

RaceRoom game.raceroom.com Developer

Ratings:
    +1,964 / 0 / -0
    The Finale of the Mercedes-AMG Online Race Competition at the Hockenheimring was an absolute highlight for us and the top 8 sim drivers who got a chance to compete against real Mercedes AMG DTM Drivers Gary Paffett, Paul Di Resta, Robert Wickens, Chris Vietoris, Daniel Juncadella, Lucas Auer, Maximilian Götz and Felix Rosenqvist.

At the end of the race it was Tim Heinemann who managed to get another victory under his belt, followed by EURONICS Gaming drivers Julian Kunze and André Santos. Alex Dornieden finished on P4 completing the group of drivers who received an invitation to an AMG Driving Academy Event.

Rounding up the Top 8 out of over 10.000 entries are Cristiano Dias de Sá, who was flown in from Brazil, Cristian Moisescu from Romania, Giorgos Tzanetos from Greece and @Moritz Löhner from Germany.

Congratulations! We hope you enjoyed the weekend.

Special thanks to our moderators Thore Schölermann and Dave Richardson who did a brilliant job, as well as the crew from fahrwerkfilm.de taking care of the technical side of the broadcast.

And of course we would like to thank Mercedes-Benz, Mercedes-AMG and Mercedes AMG DTM for putting #simracing and #eSport on the big stage!

We are looking forward to many more events like this in the future.

Keep racing!

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  19. Giorgos Tzanetos

Giorgos Tzanetos Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    What an incredible 3 days was it.

I want to thank all the guys from Sector3, you guys have made an incredible good
    simulator. I'm sure you'll get the recognition you deserve.

I want to thank also Raceroom and MERCEDES-AMG DTM.

I have no words to express my feelings during the race.
    I was racing with Paul Di Resta to my left!!!!

Also it was great to meet all of you guys, especially that crazy Brazilian.

I hope I'll meet you all in the next event.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Moritz Löhner

Moritz Löhner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +621 / 0 / -0
    Yep, it was a awesome experience!
    I had so much fun this weekend even tho my race wasn´t that good because of some too much spirited DTM drivers. :grin:
    It was great to meet all of you guys and I think I can say that we all had a great time. Especially for Christiano it must have been a big experience because it was his first time out of Brazil! :eek:
    A big thanks to the guys from Sector3 and RaceRoom and of course Mercedes Benz.

• Like Like x 11