Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, Jan 19, 2020.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0

TECH-ALPHA.png
    TECH-ALPHA-1.jpg
    TECH-ALPHA-3.jpg
    TECH-ALPHA-6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Looks stunning..

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I completely agree with you. But my computer disagrees... The screenshots alone have taken it to it's limit :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I can recommend these videos, truly stunning.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Same over here I guess.:confused:

6. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    That is just nucking futs
    What specs will be needed to render that beauty?!?!

7. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Only known fact yet is that the sim requires win10 and will also be released for the x-box... That gives some hope it'll also be playable on moderate systems while still looking decent. But this is only my personal assumption.
    But I do not even think about installing it on my PC-potato. Think I would have to switch my frame counter from "frames per second" to "seconds per frame" :confused:

8. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Handling an airliner cockpit, is a task needing a very thorough hardware interface for all the keys. If they develope this for xbox controllers as well, this does not really raise my trust the sim will allow the level of IFR complexity and FMC that I am looking for in a flight sim. I hope it does not become just an eyecandy VFR game toy. I look for the complexity to be found in PMDG planes, good night graphics as well, and alive airport sceneries allowing both realistic and traffic-heavy approaches and taxing. Someobdy tried some FS flight game for Steam some years ago. It crashed (I do not mean the Steam version of FSX).

Photorealistic scenery just is not enough, even is replacable - I mean I have Google Earth VR with Oculus Rift, so photorealistic scenery alone is not a selling argument anymore. VFR flying around a bit soon becomes boring, and if it is not done in VR, Googl eEarth most likely is superior, to - its the procedural accuratesse of complex flight plans and using close approach charts or practicing realistic emergency procedures with checklists etc what keeps the interest.

I mark this blip on my radar screen, yes, but I do not place bets on what it turns out to be.

I used to use a heavily modded FSX with major hubs from Aerosoft software packs, and planes from PMDG. AES and REX and all the blues, live weather... Good times, simulation heavy duty. I criss-crossed above all of Germany, Switzerland and Austria, and most of their neighbouring countries. The 737NGX by PMDG was my religion. It were good years.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    You probably haven't watched the feature discovery videos, have you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Im working on it, I do not watch them all at once, got World, Weather, Aerodynamics done so far. Saw two earlier such videos last year, did not answer my questions and doubts back then. Will watch the missing two videos soon, too.

11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Just watched "Cockpits". Does once again not adress what I am looking for in a flightsim: airliners on IFR flightplans. Its all pretty neat well-looking, yes, but VFR sightseeing looses its appeal over time. No challenge. VFR sightseeing I could also have in VR already, there are severla options for that. And I have lost interest in it already.

12. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, they've already talked to PMDG and they're porting the 737NGu (or whatever it's called) to FS2020.
    We already know Carenado is in, and I strongly suspect Alabeo, OrbX and Aerosoft are in there somewhere as well.
    And let's not forget that every iteration of FS has had fairly basic airplanes/airports as default. You can't even fly a proper instrument approach in one of the FSX default jetliners since the navigation database is *ahem* somewhat outdated. :D

That said, being a life-long flight-simmer myself, I'm cautiously optimistic.
    For me, the big thing is whether it'll be a subscription-based sim, which I rather suspect it will. All those terabytes of data downloaded to god knows how many users...... Somebody has to pay for the servers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I really hope they don't create the i racing of flight simulations. If they do something like this I guess a lot of people won't even jump into the sim.

But I don't know how big the flightsim community is, compared to the sim racing community :D

And another thing I'm worried about is where the hell I'm gonna place a flight simulator into the room xD

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  14. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I don't much care for subscription-based games myself, especially with something like flight-sims where the purchase of third-party add-ons is almost inevitable.
    But I really don't see how else they'll do it. In one of their interviews they said they had a little over 2 PETA-bytes of world data stored on their servers. Even assuming that much of this is repeats (i.e. different LODs, seasons and so on), we're still talking massive amounts of data that no ordinary user would have a chance of storing locally.
    So all that data has to be transferred somehow, and somebody has to pay for all that bandwidth.
    Plus, the fact that FS2020 will be in the MS Game Pass is a bit of a hint.

On the other hand, they've also said that it will be possible to pre-cache specific areas, and that there will be an off-line option (though less detailed) available.
    So I guess we'll see in about 9 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I looked and searched a bit for specs. The alpha test seems to have focused on 32GB RAM, although it is expected that 16 GB will be accepted as "minimum specs". On the CPU-side, i7 7700K seems to have been seen as a recommend CPU level, others got it running well with i7 5930. The GPU should be vey good, obviously, talk was and is about 1070 and 1080 as must-have.

Especially RAM seems to be in high demand. 32 GB, if that is true - wowh. I doubled my RAM from 16 to 32 last year in starting of long video editing, only to find that I did not need it at all and even 8 hours video material did not consume all my original 16 GB, so maybe I can bring my rich RAM to use finally here. But I found at that opporuntiy that my RAM bars were defunct, and that even factory-new branded RAM bars have failing rates of around 35-40% - If you buy RAM, ALWAYS run a full RAM test on them, even if it costs you 1 hour of time and is a real PITA.. I had 3 erratic bars last years. Of 8. That does not raise trust. And you get them in your new machines already, from factory on - and attribute blue screens and system problems then to faulty OS and problems with W10.

Do those RAM checks, guys. Just do them. I have learned it the hard way. Manufactures have the quality of RAM not under control currently, at least until last year, further reading on it confirmed.
    I cannot tell the proecdure of my head, but the internet holds instructions, a program you need is MemTest86 on USB stick, you boot from that. Test your bars one by one (remove the other(s) ) . Its a PITA, but its worth it. The failure quota is too high. And that means not just RAM bars, but RAM of any kind, so SD cards and other stuff as well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. CheerfullyInsane

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    So it's basically what you need to run P3D with decent settings.
    As for the RAM usage, I suspect it has more to do with the amount of texture-detail you require. XP11 does much the same thing, loading all it can into your GPU, and any spill-over gets send to your RAM.
    Easily avoidable if you dial the texture-settings down a notch.

17. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm gonna update my PC this year, GTX 1080ti does a good job, but the rest of my system is pretty much out of date with a i7-3770 , Asus P8B75-M Mainboard and old 16GB DDR3 RAM are goind to limit my GPU...

I think it's a good year to upgrade, CPU and RAM gonna be more of a thing in the near future (even with a monitor, not to mention VR). ACC is a good example and MFS 2020 definitely gonna be another example if you want to have a few more details with decent FPS.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +478 / 0 / -0
    good old flight sims, you gonna have a great time with everything else if you use them as a benchmark for a new pc (i use DCS myself) :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Thinking about it I changed my mind and gonna wait and take a look if my PC dies with this sim... And then decide if I'm gonna upgrade or not... Never change until it's totally necessary :D

Still no official requirements released, so let's chill and wait :)

8 core CPU should be the future, but how many cores does R3E and ACC even use ?

20. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ACC sees all my cores at 95% and higher. Temp gets an issue especially in summer when room temperature already is higher anyway. No other of my titles abuses my hardware, like ACC does. GPU also is pushed to the max.

If you want games as benchmark test, us a flight sim. Or ACC. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1