Mid end computer and VR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by S. FREDRIKSSON, May 16, 2022.

1. S. FREDRIKSSON

S. FREDRIKSSON Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm planning to try out VR in simracing. I would like to know what some of the mid? end computers people use. This would give me something to compare my system with and see if it is viable at all.

I don't need much fancy graphics but I do not want any stuttering.

So my questions are, would my computer be ok and what headset would be a good option. I would like to stay away from Facebook/Meta but have no other preferences.

Intel Core i5 9400F

26GB DDR4 2600MHz

Nvidia RTX2060

Regards

Stefan

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Just to give you any idea of VR availability, I'm using Lenovo Explorer with:
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six Core 3,2 Ghz
    8 GB RAM 1100 Mhz
    GTX 1060 3 GB

And well, mostly at low settings and without like 100 cars in the grid its smooth enough for me to enjoy the beauty of VR :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Hermann

Robert Hermann New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I used an Oculus Rift S, GTX 1080 and i7 8th Generation, and it worked fine.
    Good fps and pretty good graphics.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I used a Rift and since half a year a G2. The G2 is ideal for "cockpit sims" where you do not need to track precise quick hand movements, because it has excellent resolution. I got it with two hand pieces for some 400-something coins before last christmas.
    If you plan to play other VR games where you need precise hand controllers, some beat the beat kind of games for example, you better find a set with external sensors. It will cost more.The G2 has the optical sensors for tracking inside the helmet. If you move the handpieces outside the tracking cones of the helmets' optics, the tracking wil fail. And that can happen easily.

So, for racing, flight simming, Google Earth VR, virtual cinema movie watching, the G2 is excellent, I absolutely recommend it, using it in RR, AC, ACC, Wreckfest (on a virtual huge cinema screen), Dirty Rally 2, ETS2. - For Eleven Table Tennis it is not. Too bad, I liked that game, it was outstandingly realistic. But I cannot get it tracking my paddle reliably. Same: First Person Tennis, I cannot swing naturally anymore, which kills the joy (and the physical training ;) )

Frame rates with my rig are fully smooth and I cannot complain about anything. I feared my gfx card would not digest well the increase in pixels it suddenly had to digest, but it handles the hige boost boost extremely well, I am surprised (and happy that in 2017 I invested some moeny into buying additonal reserves when I selected my rig back then: this now has paid off big time). But it took some experimenting with settings. While ingame options in racing titles I left almost untouched, nVidia driver settings needed some attention. Ironically, the stuttering and blurriness I witnessed especially in ACC got cured by not reducing but increaisng one or two certain settings.

Keep in mind that with the G2 you depend on Steam VR, not Oculus VR. If SteamVR currently runs in a somewhat messy version, you cannot escape it and you need to wait until they fixed it. The set is Windows Mixed Reality compatible.

My specs in my sig.

Tip: if going with the G2, do not leave it connected to the power if you do not use it. If it is connected and you boot the system, it tends to not correctly recognise the VR set. Its better to plug power in once Windows has booted (and you intend to use the VR set). Windows 10 here. That way, the plug serves like hardware on-off-button, and it is very accessible. Actually, I prefer it this way. Why should the thing be running and conncted - when I do not use it?

Its more comfrotbale to wera than the Riuft, even with glasses. But it gets quite warm. Get a small ventlator 1m in front of you and direct it at low speed at your face when driving. Else your face sweats, and the lenses get foggy. I can rlöeiably prevent that problem with a ventilator - just do not exaggerate it. That way you get an additional illusion: that of wind in your face while driving down the roads.

Raceroom reocmmend sitslef very much to VR, since the old engine means you have your system not put under too much stress in VR. Smooth framerates will say thankyou. It depends on hardware, of cxourse. On my 5-years old rig I could as well drive 30 cars in ACC in thunderstorm at midnight, and system temps do not exceed mid-70s.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2022