Multiplayer & Dedicated-Server - Ideas and Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m.bohlken, Oct 18, 2015.

1. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Based on the Game-features and mechanics I want to open a new Thread for Ideas and Suggestions especially for Multiplayer and the Dedicated-Server-Tool, to keep it a bit seperated.

For the Beginning I have two Ideas:

1. For Multiplayer and Dedi-Server:
    Something similar was already mentioned in another Topic some time ago.
    It would be nice to have a little function that shows the used Liveries within the Livery-Selection-Screen. Maybe an Overlay with the Text "In use" over the Livery-Pic could be shown.
    In the Dedicated-Server-Tool a setting could be integrated, in which the handling of Liveries could be selected. For Example:
    • Multiple Livery-Use allowed
    • Multiple Livery only allowed when no free Livery for that Car available
    • Car/Livery-Combo only allowed once
    2. Feature for Dedi-Server:
    At the moment it is only possible to setup a Public or Password-Protected Server. It would be nice to have an additional feature that opens a Dedi-Server for explicitly specified User. Maybe in addition a specific Car/Livery-Combo could be bound to the users.
    In the MP-Server-List a new logo could be implemented for those users that are allowed to log on to it - for example an unlocked-Icon. Other users would still see the locked-Icon

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Good ideas mate.

• Edit the Start grid manualy
    • Add weight
    • Time between quali and race
    • Esc Button can be disabled by admins (for leagues)
    • Flags Flags Flags
    • Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeplay functions
    • Onboard cams for the spectator overlay

• Like Like x 8
  3. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Ability to set session start and finish times rather than length.

For example I would like to be able to set quali to start at 17:30GMT and finish at 18:10GMT.

Its difficult starting a server and getting the timings to stay correct if no one stays in the lobby. If this was implemented then we could set the sever up the day before and know it wouldn't need manual intervention to get it started on the correct date / time.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    +1
    I would especially want to have a number on every car, how many are in use.
    And also how many using each livery.
    I like when the races are mixed up, and not when everybody is all racing with the same cars and liveries..

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Assetto corsa have a good workaround with the liveries.

6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    asseto corca has a terrible livery implementation in multiplayer. you cant use your livery unless it is a booking server and nobody uses booking servers so basically you cant run your livery. race 07 had a simple custom livery system and it worked a treat.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Revvin

Revvin Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    A Linux dedicated server package would be nice

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    My little contributions for dedicated

- Being able to choose if the race should start if only one player is connected. Go to next track or restart the session on the same track (admin choice)
    - Allowing the server timing to start immediately and not wait until there's players connected. It's better for league racing and single events schedule.
    - AutoStart (chosen) servers when Dedi binary is launched (no need for manual intervention when the server need a restart or so)
    - Better car selection : Being able to add multiple categories at once.
    - Some server to player messaging system, so the Admin could send and display some messages for the connected players (like "need to restart", "next track is..", etc ..)
    - Session logging (not race datas we already have) for the admin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Pekro

Pekro Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi
    it would be great to have ai drivers in multiplayer to fill up the grid with, when playing multiplayer sessions with only 5 or 6 human drivers. In my opinion R3E has the best behaving ai of all racing simulations.
    I hope you guys can understand my terrible english.:)

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Give admins the ability to choose mandatory h-shift and clutch on their dedi-servers.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Filters.
    The ability to cycle\call next track.
    List of cars\users on a server when you click on it, usefull for multiclass.
    Server name ingame.
    Chat & Chat logging.

12. Skandal

Skandal New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    TBH the most important thing we miss is the Linux version of the dedicated server, as Revvin said. Renting a dedicated server in Linux is actually cheaper and will open tons of Community Championships, that would animate the MP more than ever. I tried with an emulation of Win on a Linux server, but is near impossible to have great performance.

But I like the interface, more than AC one, really.

It only misses some "admin tools" like manage clients (ban, kick, warn, disqualify, manage custom grids, choice if you want a "time race" or "lap race", functional rolling start, dynamic track grip, functional ballasts, qualify time limit in percentage ex. 120% / 130% etc.) and some more flag during the race, yellowflag (accidents actually told you nothing, or I did not get the right server config), blueflag etc.

One thing I miss in particoular is a "soft" switch between practice - qualify and race. It happends so suddenly that I risk the heartbrake "omg, what's going on? Am I crashed?" :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. sinclair

sinclair New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    +1 (even if i (right now) don´t need all of the above features)

The already mentioned functionality to "go to next session" or "go to next track" would really be nice.
    It should be adjustable that the next session will be started after a given time, or by button.
    (like: practise - 2min break - qualify - 2 min break - race - 2min break
    Also we would love to have a simple table after p/q/r with split and end times, not the just the podium.
    I guess place 4 to x are also interrested in their times.
    A simple grid with times, by doubleklick on player name it opens the values for every lap.

I know, that split times are viewable while you´re in the session, but not at the end of the session.
    Unfortunately, at the end of a race, that´s regular driven until finish... you´ve no chance to see your lap times.

Another point is to save the generated server to start it later on again, without all the customizing.

Chat also would be nice, but thats not a major issue for me.
    Same to "share setups" or a setup database to load pre-configured setups.

(btw.: yes, that all sounds like the mp of another simulation, but that was just perfect for us)

I don´t expect to have all the features from all entrys above in short term... but maybe it is possible to do a minor update step by step?

Thanks
    Sinclair

Sorry for bad english.

14. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    For what reason would you deny admins to set up dedi servers the way they want?

You don't like S3S statment:

"Your server, your rules" :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i prefer not to split up the player base any more than it already is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    But the general player base doesn't matter, if you want to set up a dedicated server for a league with specific (forced) rules. Yes, a mandatory h-shifter would be a very strict rule, but as an option .... why not.
    Perhaps these sort of strict rules could be placed in a specific "advanced settings" menu in the Dedicated server UI (... not shown at first glance).

• Like Like x 2
  17. russlar

russlar Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    yes please

18. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    You don't like dedi-servers? The community wanted dedi-servers and they got them and the community want more features, why deny them? Does it really matter to you if some of these would have a feature you don't like, if you not are invited?

5382-70eaf2a51aa35c7c239ac2806087e5fc.jpg

I think that with more features we will se new members and not just individuals but whole Leagues. And they will not just drive on dedi-servers, they will also drive on the open servers.

Quote my self from another post:

"An example of a league that has not yet bin racing on R3E . They lack features but will now test drive .

http://speedzone.se/index.php?topic=1738.0

I think there are many more waiting for the right features , so give them what they want and we will see many new members."

If you really are concerned about things that "split" the playerbase you should look at the nummer of car classes and circuits.
    There is today 26 car classes and 28 circuits and some of them have different layouts. How many combinations is that? And there will be even more...

Everybody doesn't own all content.

19. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    because befor you know it almost all the open servers will also be running this rule. look at ac i want to drive the e30 online but i cant cause i dont have a clutch.

im fine with putting limits on most things but this one requires players to invest hundreds of dollars in equipment i dont even wnat to give people that option. in its currnt state anything r3e is playable with even a keyboard this would change that. i dont want that.

unless u can find a way to restrict it to locked servers or somthing.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Why would S3S do that?