Multiplayer & Dedicated-Server - Ideas and Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m.bohlken, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Alice Margatroid

Alice Margatroid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    most of the open servers are not the s3s sever's, many of them are dedicated servers. and if the majority of them adopt said rule. then those who do not have the money for the equipment needed to run it will be locked out. in effect your adding a lock to even more severs over something which only matters in your head.

Race sims need to be inclusive in order to be profitable. Because of that, Your idea will harm the open community badly. hurting profit and further splitting the community.

Also, forcing people to use clutch does nothing to make it a more fair playing feild, its not like the people running paddles are 5sec faster for no reason. That's not to say that going high fi in your simulation is a bad thing for yourself, I recommend it, but, at the end of the day, racing is not about your setup, its about being able to go side by side with other people around a corner way too fast and still making it stick. its about defending, its about attacking, its about action. the clutch does not matter in any of these elements.

so if you want to race other people, race them. if you want to race pure realism, buy yourself a spec racer ford or a spec mx5, I hear they make great real world race cars. but we race sims for fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what you were trying to show with that screenshot, but really it just shows how we need people, even in the current environment, to be less closed instead of more closed. Offering up even more opportunities for the already heavily fragmented online segment to further splinter means there will be less options still for open public racing. Granularity in server options and rules can be useful, but it's often a double edged sword. If any options were to be added I'd be much more for things that allow for more inclusion and increase the likelihood of open servers, instead of yet more servers that many people can't join.

3. Vojvoda

Vojvoda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, as admin of a community based on rFactor, I think (nowadays) R3E has a black future for leagues and serious championships, unfortunately. Due to lack of:
    · Admin (or user "vote") Console, impossible to set "next session", "restart race/weekend", "setmass", "editgrid", "kick/ban" and other typical commands.
    · Chat
    · A complete report of sessions (SP, SQ, SR) with all laptimes, position per lap, pitstop and other useful info, stored in dedicated server.
    · Replay server of all sessions.
    · Flags
    · Custom liveries for those drivers or teams that are sponsored.
    · Subjectively, I think it would also be interesting to have control of the car in the pit stops and setups more "hardcore", where drivers could qualify with an empty tank and go full to race (same example with brake ducts and other parts).

On the other hand, the strength of R3E is, variety of tracks and cars and their quality. (Visual, sounds & physics).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Tell me, why would a majority of admins of dedi-servers or S3S all of a suden use settings "which only matters in your (my) head"?

(I read most of the posts on this forum and your post is by far the nastiest I read.I really do not understand the purpose of your post and I do not think the kind of personal attacks fit in any forum.)

5. Alice Margatroid

Alice Margatroid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    The point of my post was not to attack you, clearly should should understand that, I would hope your smart enough to understand alot of other things that myself, and many others have explained to you. Instead, you chose to keep ignoring these claims and assume that people want to attack you. which again, is far from the truth. If you wish to defend your point of view, then you would need to counter the many claims that have been levied vs your point of view. however, as you have not, its clear that you have no ground to stand on.

so in short. If you want to debate, then do so. but dont call malice when there is none and don't waste my time.

6. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    As I can understand both sides, maybe it needs a compromise... As an example for a compromise: Just alow those features like force Clutch and H-Shifter only on closed Dedicated servers.
    That would make it easier for leagues or things like that to organise their events, but wouldn't effect those who just want to have some fun on open Servers...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. skswat

skswat Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Would be cool to have button for "send setup" to other player I choose from some connection list. Instead of sending file through mail or so which other player need copy somewhere in game folder. Just click in game, send setup. Other player just accept, write name and click save and it will be automaticaly saved in his game. So he only went to garage and load this setup.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Maybe in the future, J-f have mentioned something but im not sure but there are currently other construction sites ;)

• Like Like x 3
  9. Winpoks

Winpoks Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Is it planned ? Or we only stay with windows package.

10. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    With revers grid the options to choose if riders who has a DNF start from the back instead of now in the front.

11. Mario R.

Mario R. Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    that would be very nice...
    and:
    -admin Messages
    -kick/ban for open sessions
    -ingame race stats

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    * Any news of having linux dedicated server?
    Hence I do not have two Windows computers (paying for another license, and building a new computer for this is not an option), but I have a linux HTPC and and a Linux laptop. It would be great to have a terminal based linux server for RR which you can access via SSH.

* It would be great to have it possible to race with both AI and a couple of friends, it is too empty just having three/four racers in a race. Playing on an open server where rammers and low ping users exist is not fun, you never know when your race becomes destoyed because of this. The other option to play seriously in closed racing communities feels too much forced an unspontaneously for me. I really miss an option too just race with some friends and fill the emptyness with some AI cars, when we feel like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon has already confirmed a kick function is on it's way, along with other improvements to the dedi server side. With the two pre Chrimbo updates being so expansive, I'm guessing after the brace of Porsche's in the New Year, some of the server side functionality required by admins will begin to appear. We know they listen, we also know they deliver, eventually.
    Linux is a tricky one, unless one of the team is proficient in it, then someone would need to be employed who is and I believe there are other roles that need filling first. Once Microsoft start renting their OS's out, I'm sure there will be a clamour toward Linux from both Developers and end users. I purchased 2 legit Win10 pro licenses, from the old interweb for £18 a pop, my dedicated server (when I can be bothered to run it) runs on a totally stripped down one of these, I use a web site (and the odd bit of 30 years experience) to get rid of anything that is not required to serve up some RR. It will put up a bit of a fight but do it once and it's done, boots in seconds and runs a treat, just be warned that Windows does like to re-enable or re-install things it believes you should be using (like just about everything) so I don't update until a few days later and after I've checked a couple sites to see if I actually need to or not. Takes an hour or so at first setup, pretty simple after that. You could do it with Win7 just as easily and if you use Smoothwall or similar, safe as houses! www.blackviper.com/ this is the sort of site I use for reference, can save hours of piss assing about, plenty of others out there but you knows what you knows! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Using auto clutch/paddles versus clutch/H-shifter in Raceroom is a complete advantage. They’ve literally made it that way. If you go look into the leaderboards where you find cars with clutches - you’ll note the top guys are using paddles. Even rev matching won’t match how they implemented auto clutch with paddles.

Recently in the current group 5 competition I shifted to paddles/auto clutch after 30 minutes of using a clutch - 3 laps in I beat my record and hit a top 20 time. It’s a significant advantage. This is from someone who raced in real life with clutches almost exclusively.

You only use a clutch/H shifter now for fun, not to be competitive- especially after the last update.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  15. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    A short video showing some really awful actions I was a witness of:

Conclusion? We not only need a kick function, but a fully fledged rating system :( Wouldn't it encourage many players to join R3E community instead of any other sim? I think there is a reason iRacing has that much players and it definitely isn't its tyre model.

I felt really sorry for that driver as he was really doing well in shorting the distance between us. In fact that was the last lap of the race and Im almost sure he would overtake me

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  16. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    The very best thing about iracing - it has a rating system so this nonsense is short lived.. it happens mind you - but they get moved into lower classes and sometimes suspend. This one thing in raceroom would make the game competitive in the online community. Yes there is SRS, but a simple rating system and then allowing servers to set the rating or class limits would make the game so much more enjoyable and competitive.

Honestly a kick function would do very little good (although I would like it). You only need that after the race has been ruined.. Most people do not continue on the server in raceroom (in my experience). Practice sessions and qualifying times tending to be too long, often longer than the race itself.

17. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Sad thing is, for this to work properly Raceroom need to have a little bigger playerbase, because limiting number of servers certain drivers could join at this moment would only cut already not so big online-racing community. But how to get more players willing to race online in R3E if not making a well-made, organised rating system? Seems like a looped problem.

On the other hand, if you look at R3E community over the years, it's growing. At a low, but steady pace. I'd love this pace to increase more and more exponentially... :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Yes I sometimes wish I can do a Co-Op Race with one or two friends against a field of AI's

• Agree Agree x 2