Multiplayer unplayable because of high ping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sebbl, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just had three races. The one thing I forgot to look at was whether the servers were Raceroom-Servers or dedis.

Anyways, first race was at Macau, 10 minutes I think. We were 3 players in total and everything was absolutely fine! Pings were around 40, when the other drivers were a bit farer away and just about 20, when we were racing near each other and the p2p-mode kicked in!

So on that server with only 3 drivers everything ok, in fact very low pings and close racing well possible!

I then joined another server at Zandvoort with again 10 minutes race and 22 drivers this time...

Didn't take long and the pings went through the roof and the warping began. The high pings were only the case in the beginning when everything was bunched up. Had an off because of the lagging and had to drive from behind through the pack again and then the pings seemed to be okay although it said ping "0" most of the time when in p2p-mode. The warping however was going on till the end of the race! And one time I had a "buzzing"/"flickering" car in the first corner right beside me - very odd...

The last race was at Macau again, 15 minutes, with 10 drivers. Not sure about the pings - I think they were high again - but there was a big warp just on the first straight and then chaos after the fast corner leading to Lisboa bend. Because I was caught up there, I can't really say how pings were at the beginning of the rae. I went through the field again and they seemed to be okay again. What I noticed was that the gaps on the top were wrong most of the time. For example I still was 0.5 sec behind the car which I just passed. I think that might actually have something to do with the warping... After some warps the gaps shown seemed to be correct.

Anyways here are the log files. If I understand correctly, there is one log-file for every time one starts up the game. Well, I didn't end it between the races, but I saved the log files after every race. So I have three log files here. The last one (biggest one) should include the other two, but I will attach all 6 of them anyway. Maybe the devs can find the part which they have to look at easier. I hope this can help so that we at least get a message, why this lagging with high pings does occure.

We'll see how the competition goes on monday. I'll probably start from the back and look how the other cars behave... gonna see if it even makes sense to try and drive the whole race...

Attached Files:

2. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    OK, another one. 10 minutes at Nürburgring, something around 15 drivers. Absolutely catastrophic pings and warping from the start right to the point were I was pretty much alone on track (can't tell how it evolved then). The log of this race should probably capture the problem which I was refering to in the first post very well!

btw. it seems that I was the only one on the server that had the issued. 2 drivers wrote something in the chat about me lagging. Probably wouldn't have been the case if everyone else had these problems aswell.

Attached Files:

3. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    you're not alone...sometimes i have those problems too...for example i just had to exit a race in macau because cars were disappearing all the times...and lately i'm experiencing this problem quite often...i'm having lot of lag and timewarping even if my connection is quite stable for other games...these are my logs of today if it can help :)

Attached Files:

4. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    How fast is your internet connection?

Mine's ~225 kB/s download and ~45 kB/s upload.

5. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    The speed test sign about 6.99 mb/s downloading and 49 kb/s upload but when downloading via steam I get max 600 kb/s and 800 when near modem...generally pigs on the lobby are about 60/110 so quite regular...but still having problems...

6. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So pretty much similar upload to me. And following my theory (which of course could well be wrong) a low upload-rate is exactly the problem...

7. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I don't know...but I can tell you some months ago everything was fine... :)

8. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So, here another one at RedBullRing and this time @Georg Ortner should've seen how it behaves from another drivers point of view as I was driving behind him for a while.

I had warping all the time, probably around 5 times a lap. I actually saw all other cars, but if I read the chat after the race correctly other drivers couldn't see me for most of the race?!

Pings were "p2p 0" most of the time, but other cars were behaving normally apart from the warping. However there were a few occasions where all the other cars had a ping around 550ms and then they were lagging quite badly.

I even hit another driver while braking for the first corner even though I was around 2 car lengths behind him. :confused: On other occasions I was driving through other cars right after a warp happened.

Another weird thing was that if I'm not mistaken directly after crossing the line, the game didn't list me as 2nd. That was after passing Georg after the last corner as he was having a big slide after having a go for the lead in the last bend which didn't pay off. I wonder if he even saw me passing or if I was invisible at this moment? After leaving the track and going back into the pits the game however listes me as 2nd.

It's beginning to drive me crazy, these WTCC 2014 cars are so much fun for driving closely together online, but it's pretty much impossible with this kind of connection.:confused:

Attached Files:

9. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
  10. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, from time to time it seems quite okay, but most of the time laggy or I'm completly invisible. :eek:

For example at 32:25 I actually went round the outside of you and then was besides C. Limbrock before being warped back again to 3rd place! :(

So that pretty much confirms that it's not an issue of the dedi hosting the server but client-dependent. If I look at some other threads a few people seem to have this kind of issue - some saying this wasn't the case before the last big patch. I only did very few MP-races before the patch, so I can't help here...

On the other hand it must have something to do with RRRE-MP as every other sim is working flawlessly, at least in my case.

Hope the devs which do the multiplayer-thing know what the problem is and can have a fix in the future...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Here the logs from the 2015 DTM virtual championship race today... as expected already in practice I was invisible some time as I was told.

Did 2 laps in the race, but had warping again and high pings respectivly "ping 0" and I was probably invisible again I guess...

So wrong configured servers can be crossed out aswell as a reason.

Attached Files:

12. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Stupid at such a special occasion. The only positive aspect could be a bit more attention to this issue and hopefully a reaction by sb from S3. Had today one MP race with 3 others and no lags but enough timewarps that makes close battles senseless. Very strange was the ping of other cars between 4 and 6. Isn't that too low? Always had pings with factor 10 and smooth races with it.

13. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Well, I didn't expect anything different in the current state to be honest, so not that disappointing. ;) I was mainly there to be able to provide the log-files.

Switched over to rFactor2 afterwards however and didn't have a single problem with ~20 cars ontrack. :(

14. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Me neither. Sometimes wonders happen :D and there was a hotfix yesterday.
    Mainly hoping for a statement if sth (and what) was changed in the update regarding synch as I am a bit annoyed now by questions if I changed sth with my internet connection or if I wanted to try different hardware. Iam not keen on playing other sims even as PC was on steam sale recently or my AC garage got quite dusty in the meantime.

15. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    today i've done a race with drift city and i had no problems at all...then a race at portimao with my trusted hillclimb carlsson...had to exit for how much carts were disappearing...hope il will get sorted one day... :(

16. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Didn't have much time this weekend because of Norisring in real life but I could have a few MP races in the evening without lags and timewarps although the lobby was quite crowded because of the free weekend. Of course there was also a race where sb told me afterwards that I was lagging like hell. Sorry again, didn't notice it. Usually it's the other way round and I can't see others. To come to the point, the last two evenings it's all back to "normal" that means that it's laggy and/or I'm warping around, no fun at all. Like sb switched off the free weekend ping boost o_O

17. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So, this week I'm at my students place, where I have a better Internet connection.
    1.6 MB/s Download, 100 kB/s Upload
    (values of other connection to compare with: 250 kB/s Download, 35 kB/s Upload)

I've done some races and for me everything was absolutely fine. Few lagging cars in some races, but that was probably just because the players were from overseas or something. Nothing which doesn't happen in other sims aswell.

Close racing is very well possible, very good netcode - if you don't have these kind of problems as I have with the slower connection.

Here some logs aswell, should be a race at Lausitzring in there, where I was driving closely to other cars and everything was fine.

Still a word from the devs if it's only an uploadrate-problem or something else would be nice! There should be more than enough logs available now. ;-)

Attached Files:

18. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    To reanimate this thread I have some new logs for you :). I'm not so often in MP any more because of this issue but thought it got a bit better. Seems I was wrong. In a 30 min race at Monza with full grid the lag was quite ok from my side. Just at the start it was a bit laggy for me. Main problem were the timewarps that I had several times. Furthermore my ping was terrible for others and obviously I was lagging for others. @Andi Goodwin said my ping was 825. Sorry if that influenced your race, I didn't recognize it from my perspective. Any response from dev side is still highly appreciated ;)

Btw is the general.txt of any interest? There are several entries with "[level 1] Unlocalized token: $ItemStepperDefaultValue"

Attached Files:

19. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I had the same issue where the game looked a bit laggy but did not have the usual cars flickering but one of the guys I was racing mentioned that I lagged bad enough for him.

This is also keeping me from MP

20. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    One thing I have learned recently is that upstream quality is very important, particularly for racing games. As the virtual cars are always in motion and accepting driver input constantly, this information needs to be communicated to the server and other players as quickly and efficiently as possible. I have upstream speeds about 20 times faster than yours, and I still can't play Forza5 with my mates without getting weak network messages, if there is anything else on my connection too. R3E seems to be less susceptible than forza5, but I also suffer warping due to network conditions if one of the gadgets on my network does an auto download, or the Mrs wants to stream from Prime video or iplayer. Downloads require their "ack" packets to get back out of your network quickly too, all of which can saturate upstream bandwidth.

I can only presume that R3E network requirements need a decently high upstream bandwidth available AND a low latency, to allow high quality and close racing which is accurate between all players. The lower bandwidth a game is designed to use would mean a lower accuracy between players. I other words, collisions and things could occur due to inaccuracy between players all the time. The only thing S3S could do would be to allow the network code to handle degrading quality of connection a little more gracefully, but that is always going to affect those single players with the worst connection. There's nothing they can do about network quality as a whole.