Multiplayer unplayable because of high ping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sebbl, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    @SylverFyre Somehow I agree but the issues came up with the 10GB update especially the warping. Most of my R3E time i spent in MP and I had many very close battles what is not possible any more. So it would be interesting to get any official information if sth was changed or low bandwidth users are out of scope or whatever.

2. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    @SylverFyre Sorry, that's absolutely not true. I can play rFactor, rFactor2, Race07, iRacing, Wreckfest, well pretty much anything, without a problem and the cars have a faultless behaviour in all of these games. As stated earlier, even with half the bandwith this was the case with rFactor (didn't own other sims back when I had the even slower connection, so I can't say anything about them).

It's only RRRE which does have those issues.

What Rella said four posts above is actually quite similar to my experiences too. For us the other cars look quite normal for a big part of the time, except the warping. But other drivers can't see us or we lag heavily for them. Of course that way multiplayer is unplayable.

3. 247

247 Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Seems that (seems) latest 720 Mb update solved lot of my problems...i don't have timewarping anymore and I have a few lag here and there but nothing serious...and no one is finally telling me I'm lagging... :) hope everything continues that way :)

4. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    @Sebbl I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with you. My post was merely meant to say that, similar to games system requirements increasing over time, the network bandwidth requirements increases too. That's progress in improving the simulation aspects for multiplayer too, and I was trying to say that my upstream bandwidth gives me problems and I appear to have more available than you. Admittedly I mostly notice it while playing Forza 5 with friends and we are all voice chatting too, but I'll also see it in other games like raceroom, particularly if any other machines in the house are online at the same time.

5. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Tried deleting my files in the documents-folder, but didn't help, same chaos as before. :( Really disappointed there is no reaction from the devs, what the problem is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    you seem to think this is some kind of small task that the devs can do in a couple of hours? of course they are working on it have you not seen any improvements within the micro patches because i have.

what the problem is? well,
    1, your own high ping or other players high ping relative to you,
    2, packet loss occurring due to poor network quality,
    3, bugs to with the visual # or cars patch seem to be occuring (they were talking about it on a play dtm15 test livestream)
    4, dedicated server issues in many different areas.

the devs have to fix bugs and optimize the code to deal with ping and packet loss. It says on many a loading screen that the dedi servers are still very much in development.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Still having leaps in time and better quit the virtual championship race at Hockenheimring. Was at the very end anyway but as I closed the gap then the jumps started. At Red Bull Ring it seemed to be fine and I was optimistic so I joined again. But it seems I better don't join any MP race until I moved to an area with better internet connection that fits to R3E. ;-p

8. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    As follow up on this I finally have a stable 3MBit connection after a journey of long months with my provider...wow :cool: Since then I played several MP races without any problem and I was told that my ping was around 25. For me it seems to be clear that the current version of R3E demands higher data traffic from the individual player than before the 10GB update (due to a modified peer2peer architecture or whatever). But soon Germany should be a high speed internet wonderland...around 2018 :rolleyes:

9. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Have you changed your router or something else apart from the different connection? Would be nice to know if the problem could also orrcure due to an old router or something...

Just moved two days ago and I somehow managed it to find a place in Germany where indeed only 384kbit/s connection is available. :rolleyes: Well 50 Mbit/s+ is available via LTE but they can't accept new customers because a limit is reached. :eek: We're building the best cars in the world and everything but broadband internet is not available in quite a few places. :confused:

At least it's only half a year of this misery...

10. nipzon

nipzon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    That is shocking sebbl. I thought we had it bad here in Australia

11. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Nothing. We should have the same bandwidth now. Yesterday I became too optimistic and joined an italian server...forget it ;). But in general all other MP races were fine and no leaps in time yet or the typical problems that I had in 9 of 10 races.
    Very annoying, especially when living in a state that is a so called high tech business location, 5km far away from a big city and i have a big car component factory near me. Nevertheless I have to pay a regio rate plus a 6Mbit option in addition although I already have a 6Mbit contract to get now 3Mbit. Weird :confused: These free2play discussions leave me cold :D

12. boban666

boban666 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi.Last night when I try to race in MP I found big problem.On practice session game run very smooth with 80/90 fps but when game jump to quali i have big problem.Fraps show 80/90 fps but the game jump like a frog :) and is unplayable.So i decided to reset my PC.When I back and choose any of public servers game run very smooth.My ping is always 40/60.I turn off VSync.Thx for any tips.