My Saleen S7R 3motion Silverstone & Nürburgring Quali & Race setups - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magictap, Mar 25, 2019.

1. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not that strange.
    The leaderboard laps use running starts (for lack of a better phrase), but you're usually able to get a better exit-speed off the final corner when on a true flying lap, meaning your speed as you cross the timing-line is higher.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Agree on that. But you still have that advantage on your 3rd 4th.. lap so unless he actually burns his brakes over the course of two laps i still find it strange :D

3. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Ah...I only run two laps at a time. Maybe I should try more!!!

4. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Well then that mysterys finally solved :D
    But if you only drive a few laps and are surprised youre not quite keeping up with the aliens then you must be thinking of yourself as some sort of super alien ;D
    The amount of time some of those guys practice and fine tune is incredible

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    I assume he just means he runs 2 laps then restarts :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Occured to me a moment after i replied as well but didnt bother to do anything about it :D
    Either way it might help going for a few more laps at once to build a better rythm but i guess hes gotta try that for himself and see if it actually helps

• Like Like x 1
  7. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sooooo, I spun in Round 2 race....a confession....I can not go to Germany for the final so I didn't want to finish top 7. Unfortunately I lost my job and just can't justify the outlay until I can secure another position. Some people may now say why did I join and not leave a space open for others to try who can.....my defence.... to put my name out there and attract some attention. However, I will not be accepting further invites even if I qualify as this didn't work. I was using my Nurb quali tune for the race, which I tested at race distance and worked fine, just very slippery tyres (tires) last 2 / 3 laps. It's a bit twitchy and requires full concentration.....which by trying not to push too hard (there were a couple of weak dives as a result for example) I ended up spinning from lack of concentration. All on my own.

Anyhow....I will return to the Silverstone Quali and race setup as I learned a bit more about setups in RRE. Will also upload my Nurb quali / race setup here too. FYI if you're interested, here are the quali times and sectors at Nurb : https://1drv.ms/x/s!Am6_3LZbdmzPj_xSRa2ghdI1yt2lCg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Theres no problem finishing a race in the top 7 and not going to the final. You just gotta let robert wiesenmüller know soon enough and then the driver in 8th of your race will receive an invitation for the final. So if you wanna race theres no reason not to :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Here is my Nurb round 2 quali and race setup. I put the front & rear toe all the way negative and left the camber all the way up for the race after testing race distance with the quali setup. It worked, albeit a handful, especially last 2 / 3 laps. A little like driving on an icy road towards the end! The lap times in the majority where worth trying it for round 2 imho.

Watching 'The Reality of Competitive Sim Racing' by Austin Ogonoski below, I noticed when he covers RRE a setup with lots of values at min or max values, so tried this and for round 2 in the Saleen the max neg toe front and rear and max camber front and rear actually improved my laptimes….by quite a bit....so went with them for quali and after testing the race also!!!

Quali & Race setup Saleen Nurb: *remember to change fuel for each session!!
    upload_2019-4-1_11-41-55.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nico....that's good insight. Might do it next round, dunno yet...thanks for putting this up though!

11. spyshagg

spyshagg Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    that excel file is awesome. Thanks dude! What was your name in the race?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
  13. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    The reason why this often works is because stuff like that eliminates any understeer that might be in the setup. Especially on older physics this is a big problem, these GT1 cars already have most of those exploits ironed out. You can get just as much pace out of the cars with a ‘proper’ setup, but with a lot more stability and consistency. I think i proved that with my Nissan setup on Silverstone, which was really quite close to default. This is also one of the main things i have been pushing for as a betatester, trying to find and report any of these exploits :p One day we might get to a point where the extreme setups simply don’t work anymore. I hope it’s Soon(tm) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Awesome Job Thomas thank you. And RRE as this has come along way since I first installed it! Report away please. FYI, these tricks aren't working for me at Silverstone either :tonguewink:

15. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I hope it’s Sooner :)

16. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Would this work in a real racing car???
    upload_2019-4-1_11-41-55.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well if similar principles apply through all forms of Motorsport, then according to Jorge Lorenzo, yes; all setups with the most extreme of settings can indeed work for some. Lorenzo although down the order, was maintaining exactly the same lap times as the guys at the front, at Sundays MotoGP. Yet if you ask Crutchlow or Marques about his setup, they both described it as similar to a chopper, all long and high at the front. The exact opposite to every rider ever to ride a Honda and totally against Honda's own philosophy on how to set the bike up. So is Lorenzo wrong? are Honda wrong? or are parameters in setups allowing riders to use the bike the way they want it, which is surely the whole reason for having the ability to adapt a component independently of another, in numerous connotations thereby allowing for the extremes in individuals setups. Surely Lorenzo has not found an exploit to change the laws of physics? :eek: he just expects something different than others and is not afraid to tell manufacturers they are doing it wrong (for him). Saying all that of course, Sim physics are a compromise and simplification of what is actually going on, so leans itself to exploits if flawed, which of course a fair few in all Sims are. Here's hoping that as processing speeds increase, Sims run more on a 1 to 1 with real life and every component and flex can be simulated as is, at an affordable cost to us peasants, preferably pre-cataclysm! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Magictap

Magictap Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    updated Silverstone quali / race setup. Can go a tenth quicker and can keep it on the circuit for a 10 lap race. More drivable.
    upload_2019-4-2_21-28-57.png

Attached Files: