Need advice for new monitor (for gameseat)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbtm, Apr 2, 2016.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a gameseat with a monitor mount. So now the question is what size is best?

I think I would sit approx. 90 to 80cm away from the display, what size would you recommend? And what format?
    I thought of 21:9 instead of 16:9 so that I can see more right and left in the car.
    I have no space for a rig with triple monitor setup so I am stuck with single monitor solution for some time now, but that's ok. I just need to find the best solution for me.

Is bigger better or does the experience get worse at a certain size?

I have a limited budget so I don't expect super crazy expensive recommendations. So about 600€ for a monitor should do it.
    Is it useful to pick a TV instead of a monitor? Ok it's harder to get a 21:9 TV but would a 16:9 TV do it too (they're cheaper at bigger size)? Would a monitor be better?
    Atm I play on a TV (37") with a wheelstand pro in front of it, but I'm sitting almost 150cm away from it and it's not possible to get closer, so I need a new setup. I'm satisfied with the TV but don't know if playing on a monitor would be better.

I hope someone can give me some tipps, maybe had the same struggle some time ago..

cheers

PS: maybe I could just use the actual TV for the gameseat and just buy a new, bigger one for the living room :-D

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    ok I did some research.

I found a nice simracing rig (GT Omega Pro Racing Sim), it will cost me 538€ with shipping included. But it's complete! Shifter holder, TV-Stand, DRINK-HOLDER lol!!, keyboard/mouse holder... ok I'm still thinking about how can i get a button box attached to this?

And maybe I go with a cheap 4K TV 42" .. will cost around 344€ (Orion CLB42B4000S is a candidate)..

A similar racing seat from raceroom will cost 519€ BUT without drink-holder :D and no option to go with a triple monitor setup in the future.

Any thoughts?

Have to check input lag of the TV first.

3. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Buy the one you like best. You can fix drink holders later.

wine-holder.jpg

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. Drink holders are not important to me anyways. Just curious if anybody has experience with TV vs monitor and the size when mounted to a rig.

5. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I highly recommend the Philips 40inch 4K Resolution VA Panel - I have had it for just on 4 months and it is simply a fantastic screen and I could never go back to smaller. The input lag is low and the picture is fantastic, RRRE runs fully maxxed at 4K but I do have a 980ti so I cannot say how 4K runs on other GPU's.

There is heaps of info about it on the net, reviews etc. a recurring negative is the fixed stand but I just made a cheap timber stand that I put in front of my Wheel and good to go. Looks to be around 520 GbP from a quick look.

check prices here :- http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=2839433
    PC Gamer Review :- http://www.pcgamer.com/philips-bdm4065uc-monitor-review/
    NeoGaf thread :- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=972668
    Hardforum thread, tonnes of info :- https://hardforum.com/threads/philips-bdm4065uc-40-4k-60hz-monitor-thread.1838713/

In Australia they come with a 4yr warranty - mine had no dead pixels or problems and truly is best monitor I ever had.:D

I initially went down the path of looking for a curved 34inch ultrawide 21:9 monitor and looked at a couple but so glad I got this as is cheaper and more versatile because you can force a 21:9 ratio resolution that mimics a bigger image than the 34inch UW. I raced in a 21:9 ratio for awhile and went back to the 16:9 full screen 4K because it looks better and you see more on track. Philips 4K is 3840x2160 while the curved 34inch ultrawides are 3440x1440 but like I mentioned, you can emulate that same resolution in 21:9 aspect ratio on the Philips and even make higher res 21:9 screens if you wish to as they all fit within the dimensions of the 40 inches of real estate the Philips contains. Worth a second thought right there and is not pushed as a huge positive at all in any of the reviews I read - made me wonder had they even tried it or were aware you could do that.o_O

Max refresh rate is 60hz and that initially worried me because my last screen was 120hz with extremely low response time but truly once you race on this and get used to it in maybe a day or two, you forget everything else and just enjoy the huge high resolution image which makes you feel you are there in the race.

If you can go look at a 34inch curved widescreen you should and try to see one of these running as well, decide from there. I saw the Asus Predator 144hz curved 34inch widescreen and was sure I would buy that until I saw this and was hooked.

Good luck... and my recommendation is not to go with a TV unless it is something like the Samsung curved which does 4k but they are about 3 times the price I think. A monitor has lower input lag and generally more refined circuitry specific for pc input though there are some very good TV's that are equally good for gaming. I tend to keep them separate. :)

ps. It also has a VESA mount on the rear to bolt directly onto the monitor stand of your rig. I have the next level cockpit which looks pretty similar to that omega however I keep the monitor on a curved desk in front of my rig which parks front end under it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Wow Thanks. You're right. I should go with a monitor if possible. So I found this one here: Iiyama ProLite X4071UHSU-B1
    It's 4k and 40inch but 100€ cheaper than the Phillips and has only 4ms reaction time instead of 9ms. Also it's brighter..
    I own a full HD monitor (24" ) from Iiyama and like it very much.
    At the moment I have a gtx 970, so is it possible just to go with 1080p on a 4k screen at the moment until I get a new graphics card? Or will it mess up the picture or so? I just want to be ready for the future, so that's why I want to have 4K

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    My advice is read up as much as you can - I don't want to say don't get that liyama but from my reading of it there are few things to be wary off. However if you know someone has it and is good then go for it. My preference would still be the Philips and that is just my judgement from reading lots about both monitors. You can find good & bad said about both so ultimately it comes down to what you determine is most important or relevant.

I don't know about the liyama but the Philips scales really well to 1080p but you will find with a 970 you can play around with some custom resolutions in nvidia control panel and you will be able to run higher res to play RaceRoom and many other games. The input lag is identical on both monitors at 24ms which is quite low, roughly 1 frame, in practice I cannot notice it at all and in driving sims the wheel inputs etc. feel perfect. The philips is 7.4ms gtg measured accurately but all monitors have some software manipulation inbuilt and you cannot absolutely trust the figures on the box. TFTcentral have some really good articles about input lag and other such things worth reading if interest. Good luck and do some thorough research so you know what you are getting, with either monitor. cheers mark.
    http://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/philips_bdm4065uc.htm

8. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I was about to buy a used Obutto R3Volution but the seller seems to be a bit of an idiot, delays and excuses, wondering if you bought this setup and what your impressions are?
    I looked at one or two but they look a bit flimsy\lightweight to me, altho its hard to tell just by looking at pictures online.
    Would you recomend it or do you wish you had gone for something else.

Anyone else got any recomendations, or if anyone knows of an Obutto R3Volution for sale in the Uk send me a pm, dont mind travelling to collect, monies burning a hole in my pocket.

9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    no, sorry. I did not buy it (yet).
    I have other expenses planned at this moment, just bought new loudspeakers and amplifier for the living room (800€) and I need new rims for winter tyres (another 500€), need a new couch... etc.. *sigh*

I hope I can buy one in the beginning of 2017

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    No worries, just thought i would ask.
    The search continues :)

11. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
  12. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    When i saw the rediculous prices for the so called Simulators i decided to ignore their hardware.

13. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    The price for these are a lot cheaper than Play seats for example. $300 or so.