Need help with setup-Zandvoort-BMW M4 GT4

Discussion in 'Zandvoort' started by Marko Misovic, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Marko Misovic

Marko Misovic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone setup for a bmw m4 gt4 zandvoort one hour race without stopping at pitstop

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure your tires will melt off unless you go silly slow. You need at least one stop and some decent tire managing while driving. Your front and rear drivers side will likely need a little less pressure and reduce negative camber. 20 minutes in you will be pushing due to wear on that track.

I personally suggest a reducing the sway bars by just a click for a race of that length.id also reduce dampers by a single click as well. Use more of the entire tire and there are fast curbs on that circuit.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Marko Misovic

Marko Misovic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK thank you

4. TomGl

TomGl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe someone has updated the setup (like 2022 version) for BMW M4 GT4?
    Also I'm having a hot tire problem. Left front always gets really hot no matter what tire pressure I use. At the end of 20min race, it gets really difficult to steer the car.
    Or am I doing something wrong?

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes you're overdriving the car. Zandvoort due to it's layout will always heat the front left. It's up to the driver to manage that heat by being extra smooth through those right hand corners, try not to slide the front, only use as much steering as you need. Tyre management is a skill.

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I´d suggest reducing steering lock to the minimum possible to get round the tightest corner on the track as that way your inputs will be reduced. Next step is to determine if the middle tyre temp is higher than the others. If it is, lower tyre pressure by 10 points and see what happens.

Next step is to reduce traction control and rear wing and put brake balance back so the car is steering more from the rear than the front but without creating oversteer.

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    That track will always overheat your front left in most cars. You can only reduce the problem but you can't get rid of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TomGl

TomGl New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

9. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    We started a GT3 league based on fixed setup with my former community last season, namely to make it more accessable for Rookies, while in the end only two joined so that grid was filled with usual suspects (vets, pros and aliens :) ) and to our surprise the basic setups are real fast (good enough for a Leaderboard lead here and there depending on the track layout) you just have to fully adapt to the characteristics of your car (AMGs like to heavily understeer for example) or better said you have to learn to stay within the optimum performance window of your car = which is the key for fast and efficient driving, first and foremost.
    So setup changes like Vale suggests do not make you faster necessarily (especially if you still miss that performance window I'm talking about) they just help to modify the car behaviour more to your liking and for better car control.
    A good pace is meaningless without decent car control after all...
    So my tip would be to start with fixed setup reducing TC to 40% (mostly works perfectly) and slightly adjust brakebias in conjunction with TC. Learn the track to its last inches and take a faster ghost car on LB (challenge)as reference. There you will see where you are off...
    From there on you can start to fiddle with settings like Rearwing, Brakebalance (if not satisfied), toe in/out antiroll bars and tyre pressure. Tho RRE setup changes have not as much impact as one might hope to achieve.So I suggest to go back to standard setup from time to time to see if you are making real progress or just fell for your own wishful thinking :). Eventually the more you drive the faster you'll get no matter which setup...
    But again: It also depends on the track layout and conjunction with the overall characteristics of each series.
    Here: GT3 ;)
    And yeah: Zandvoort (19) is a bit special but a really great track....

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  10. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    I find the biggest setup benefit is with suspension softness and ride height to be able to use the kerbs at zandvoort without destabilising the car.

• Like Like x 1
  11. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yepp, I softened the front suspension as well, but with ride height I'm not sure how much impact that has on the drag and overall car balance as result (did not fiddle around with much & so far with RRE, except for "curb issues"). With ACC changing front/rear ride height settings you get distinct results in terms of car balance and aerodynamic performance...