New graphic engine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iHeartPorsche, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion, the current graphic engine is a real turn off for me. I know graphics really don't mean anything to the sim racing community, but I'm not asking for Driveclub level, just a nice adjustment?

At it's current state, I feel that both the lighting and colour palette look a bit dull and the lighting (vehicle headlights/tail lights) look very out-dated. Even other simulators like rFactor 2 and iRacing do a much better job at this.

Again, not trying ro imply that the game looks "bad" but a change to the look of the game (in my opinion) is necessary.
    Thanks!

-Brandon

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. dentalfloss

dentalfloss Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Advanced graphics aren't important for me, just so long as they aren't ugly. I think R3E looks fine; I just wish it had better optimization.

I don't know why, but I get a huge performance increase with VSync on.

rF2 is a damn ugly game that runs terribly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    1. Right, like I previously stated, graphics aren't all that important but in my opinion RaceRoom is not a very attractive looking sim at all. Even sims that claim to be more realistic (iRacing, rFactor 2) look miles better while keeping up it's physics engine.

2. rFactor 2 is undeniably a more attractive looking sim. Especially in this video >
    To anyone who can see properly, RaceRoom is clearly the ugliest of the three.

• Disagree Disagree x 15
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Why did you join this forum?

Saying stupid and blatantly inflammatory garbage isnt what people who are trying to be constructive do.

Here's your answer though: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/raceroom-to-go-unreal-4-in-future.131947/

Nothing is going to change until that happens, so this thread is pointless.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    In the 10 days you've been a member here you've complained about the......
    - GT3 class not having every car...now locked
    - physics and tyre model lacking features
    - and now the graphics engine.

Doesn't really sound like this title is for you.

As for your question, Raceroom will eventually be switching to the Unreal engine which will bring alot of missing features, new tech and graphics.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I found the tracks in raceroom best looking.
    Assetto and rFactor looks dead for me. Good viewable in the posted youtube video in this thread. They're looking like "the walking dead" scenery to me.
    Please, dear sector3, don't change anything to it, unless it's a new engine. Your track artists are the best I know in the race simulation scene.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I think R3E looks fine and I get a real sense of actually 'being there' when playing.

I find rF2 to be a bit of a mixed bag however. With the right cars and tracks it can look quite nice, but very often it can look a bit of a hotch-potch.

To my eyes at least, R3E is consistently good.

I've also found that R3E can look nice on lower end PCs too, which is a real bonus.

To be fair though, there are certain lighting effects which can only be accomplished with DX11 and R3E can't compete with those (yet?) ;) :)

8. Rafael Jiménez

Rafael Jiménez Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Again....

upload_2018-4-30_10-45-54.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I'm not even sure if I should bother with a post, since you might be trolling, but you really think rFactor 2 is looking more attractive than Raceroom in that video? Are you for real? :eek:

You like those flat textures and dull/harsh lighting? Just look at Raceroom's detailed textures for grass, tarmac and curbs in that video. rFactor 2 almost looks like it's made out of flat-colored polygons in comparison. And then look at the part with the chase cam and see how the car in rFactor 2 lacks the detail and shader quality of the other two.

Raceroom also has the most beautiful sky boxes of those three sims, by far. In rFactor 2 things get a bit weird when clouds start rolling in, like a blanket being pulled over, high in the sky. Sure this happens because of their dynamic sky system, but it's still weird.

I respect rFactor 2 for it's physics and features, but it's a really ugly game, even after all the updates. The reason why it's so ugly seems to be mostly for lack of attention paid in the assets and textures used, and not so much because of the engine. Most tracks in rF 2, and I'm talking about official tracks, look like a cheap mod, with textures that are way too flat and repetitive, lacking in the small "lived-in" details that you see on other sims. Their Hong Kong track, which they sell in the Formula E package, is an unfortunate example of this.

Raceroom looks just fine. Some of the older cars could use an upgrade in the cockpit model, and I do want a new engine that can give us night and rain (Assetto Corsa Competezione is looking so hot in the screens released so far) but Raceroom is still a great looking game, with probably the most "tasteful" art direction of the current sims.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    @iHeartPorsche
    It's not your day/week/month here it seems :sweatsmile:

I personally love the look of R3E and the used color palette. It all looks natural, more or less. As you mentioned driveclub, the graphics of DC never appealed to me, they were good but it looked like a game in the end (too artificial for my taste). Same for pcars2.

I don't know why this is but I prefer the "low end" graphics in the simulator genre.

ACC on the other hand looks realistic and natural while having good graphics (in comparison, DC and pc2 look unnatural while having good graphics, r3e and iRacing look natural and realistic while having "bad graphics").

So gtr3 and r3e will probably look similar with ue4.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    While speaking of Unreal4 engine.
    I can't tell why, but the simulators I've seen using the unreal4 engine all looks like toyground for me.
    If it's Bus Simulator, Fernbus Simulator etc.

12. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I joined this forum because I knew I was going to love RaceRoom as soon as I got it. Then I thought, "what could make this a better experience for me?" "Ah! Maybe I can join the forums, see what the community is like and hopefully even suggest ideas and point out problems to further (((improve)) the sim.

You see, the problem with most of you is that you all just settle for what you have instead of trying to make it better. That's why most games these days seem to get worse. Because the community acts like they're satisfied, then the devs get lazy because they think "Oh well the community is satisfyed and happy, I guess our work here is done!" Part of the reason EA is collapsing in on itself right now. I'm not complaining nor have I ever even hinted at R3E being a bad sim or even game.

It seems to me that when I'm not consistently sucking up to the devs and just going with the flow, people automatically come to the conclusion that I'm "trolling," or "hating," etc. It's pathetic and it's honestly why most people in general these days are afraid to speak their mind! Because as soon as they do, and as soon as they say ONE thing someone doesn't like, it's a hurricane of dislikes and bashfull comments.

I joined this community, observing threads and thinking to myself "Wow, this is a mature community!"... Wow!! How wrong I was! Horrible.

Are you all (7 dislikers, 4 thumbs downers) saying that a graphics update would be a bad thing? Who WOULDN'T want a graphics update? Lets all be completely honest here, all the current PC sims are ugly as all hell. That doesn't mean they suck. Old games from the 90's look horrid, they're still some of the best games in existence even today. So sad what this community is. Now I'm part of it..

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. David Peres

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Please... no one is saying that a graphics update would be bad and no one is settling for anything. I'm sure we'll all be happy if the promised Unreal Engine 4 upgrade turns out great.

The problem is that you complain about the lack of maturity in this forum while arguing like a 12 year old. If you present your arguments in a reasonable manner without resorting to childish hyperbole (like saying that rFactor 2 looks "miles" better) most people here will not treat you like a troll. I know visuals are subjective and all, but until the engine upgrade happens Sector 3 has nothing to be ashamed of with it's visuals.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Lecturing others like this will not get you many friends.

It all starts with that you skip the step where you tell others what they have to think, and instead say that it is your subjective view of things only that you talk of.

Its not what you say that gets you antipathy from others, its how you say it. You are not the seat of all wisdom. You just have your personal taste, and your subjectivity, like anyone else here.

And now go on some research in the forum, and find some threads form over the past months that will show you that the sim will get the Unreal 4-graphics engine of SimBin's GTR 3 - in development - injected into Raceroom once SimBin is set and done with their title. Until then, I recommend to focus on what there is that you like, or to move to another title.

Personally, I like the graphics looks in Raceroom very much. Somewhere there must be some thread describing how you can change the basic colour tone, to get rid of the somewhat blue-ish colour temperature.

A bit less self-conviction in your tone will make your stay in here much more pleasant. For us. And for yourself. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to shake the hand of the 12 year old who said something looks "miles better." Is "miles better" too immature for you "lads"? Oops! My bad. Dare I say "astronomically more appealing in comparison to this former competitor"... Is that better Einstein? You people are rediculous, dear lord what has humanity become..

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Blessed we are that such a heavenly creature like you is walking amongst the people of planet Earth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. iHeartPorsche

iHeartPorsche Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ... That's all anyone had to say in first place. "Hey mate, they're currently working on switching the engine" or "yes, they're working on it." Instead I get this cluster **** of stubborn fools wetting their panties and questioning why I became of apart of their "community."

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I am not your mate, and after your introduction here I have little interest to become that. Work on your own behaviour a bit before you criticise others for theirs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. David Peres

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on proving my point...

• Like Like x 2
  20. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    When you consider how small the Sector 3 team is and how old Raceroom is (12 February 2013) comparing to Assetto Corsa (19 December 2014) who have already given up on their game and releasing a new title soon.
    Raceroom really has not done that bad and we're getting new content all the time, just look at the Audi TCR car!
    I love the community & the game, it by far has the best physics & sounds out there at the moment and although lacking features it's something I can live with.
    When you bash a game you should expect some comeback from the community & fan base of the game voicing their opinions back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.