new graphics card

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hector, Apr 15, 2015.

1. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  2. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Bit more power hungry but you can get an XFX R9 280X for about £187, they tend to be pretty solid, @machwebb uses one. On paper they both have around about the same number of strengths as they do weaknesses.

I may be acquiring a nVidia Geforce GTX 660 shortly, how does it do with R3E and what are you doing with yours? lol

3. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
  4. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, would prefer to stick with nvidia, but will have a look at it though. The GTX660 is pretty good with R3E, most settings on high and I will be selling it once I have my new card, probably in the next couple of weeks.

5. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    No worries dude...

6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Got a price in mind?

7. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the reply, just had a look at the link and it makes interesting reading! I'm currently getting about 60fps in R3E but that is with shadow split on and 32 contacts.

8. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking around £50-60, havn't looked on ebay yet but I think thats a pretty fair price, its about 18months old and never had any trouble with it!

9. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    You could have a look HERE, quickest place I've found to find the cheapest parts.

Was hoping you'd say that, let me know when you get your new card, I'll probably have your 660 off you if you want a quick sale :)

10. machwebb

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I can vsync shadows and split, but I just don't cause the cockpit shadows are not great yet. I bought mine purely down to budget and advice, my complete machine was 690nicker. Hope you find the right card man.

11. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok, sounds good, I'll let you know when I'm ready to sell

12. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the help, I'll have to look into it and I'll report back when I have the new card and give some feedback

13. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I have a new Nvidia GTX960 Strix Direct Cu2 running a single monitor at 1080p, and it will run full settings happily most of the time. It can get a little choppy in the first corner in a full race but I suspect that's more a problem with in game optimisiation 'cause it chews through pretty well everything at 1080p I've thrown at it without even spinning the gpu fans up to audible speeds. It runs VERY cool, shortly after I got it we had a day where I live that was 42 celsius, and during that it sat at 45 degrees at idle, just 3 degrees above ambient temperature, and still less than 65 after hard gaming. If all you want to do is run a single monitor at 1080p I'd recommend it highly, but if you're thinking triple monitors or higher resolutions you might be wise to save for a more powerful card.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  14. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Richard, thanks for the reply, that sounds good to me, my only question is that the card only has one DVI connector but I connect two monitors to my current card using DVI cables, is it possible to connect two monitors to this card (I assume it must but the connectors I can see other than the DVI connector look like hard drive connectors??

15. Richard Powell

Richard Powell Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I'm no tech guru, but this, "ASUS went with three DisplayPort 1.2 outputs as well as single HDMI 2.0 and Dual-Link DVI-I when it comes to video outputs." is from this review:-

http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-strix-gtx-960-video-card-review_157721/3

which seems pretty comprehensive. Don't know if that's the info you're after, I've never even considered using more than 1 monitor, I'm tech challenged enough already. I did study computer science back in the early 1980's but it was all Boolean algebra, arithmetic logic units, gates and stuff like that and I haven't kept up with it all.

16. Lost77

Lost77 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Have a gtx 980 strix, works well (much more powerful than my previous gtx 295 lol), only one screen on the single classic screen outpout (dvi) plus 1x hdmi just under this one and 3x display port 1.2.

17. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    OK, thanks guys for the replies, just researching now!!

18. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    @hector I have a Gigabyte GTX 960 OC and it runs extremely cool and dead silent. I run 1 monitor @1080p all settings to ultra, FXAA and 4x AA and it runs 60fps in most situations. It has 6 connectors (DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI + 3 Display Port) and you can combine them, they don't have to be of the same type :)
    I got mine last month for just over 200$ CAD so that's about 118 pounds

19. hector

hector New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sounds good, I'm looking at the 4gb version, not sure if this will make much difference but the price between the 2 and 4gb aren't that much different!

20. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    For me it wasn't worth the 4gb model, don't know about you. What's your CPU?
    I have issues at some tracks but it's mostly due to my stock speed and also the card runs at stock until I get another decent cpu cooling