(new) gtr3 cars @macau

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DreamsKnight, Feb 22, 2018.

1. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    has anyone tried? tips to do the hairpin? How can I adjust the steering setting?

2. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    on track in garage go to car setup -> steering settings-> steering lock (between 17-20 for macau) and adjust increase rotation as you increase steering lock. I find 900 degrees for 20 at steering lock works well in the porsche. (the settings might have slightly different names, I don't remember exactly)

• Like Like x 1
  3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That is actually less of a steering ratio than the default (540/13), which should actually make it harder to take that hairpin :p

900 degrees would be pretty weird in a gt3 car, since no race car uses that anymore these days (gt3 or above for instance). So, if the hairpin with default steering lock poses a problem, bumping up the lock by itself would be the way to go, or keeping it default but reducing the steering rotation. So, something like 540/16 or 450/13 should be good.

Definitely worth experimenting with :)

Edit: See below for more accurate clarification.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    As far as I understand (only from testing in game) is that the steering lock is the actual rotation of your wheels, e.i the higher the steering lock you have, the more your wheels will turn. Steering degree will compensate for this by making you turn the wheel more or less to achieve the rotation of your wheels. A steering lock at 13 will make the macau hairpin almost impossible regardless of your degree of rotation. Therefore i max out steering lock to allow me to make a super tight corner. And I compensate this by a 900 degree of rotation which feels about the same as the default setup. I never turn my wheel more than 90 degrees on macau, other than the hairpin.

• Like Like x 2
  5. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Sunny is right. With that setting you're able to turn the wheel more to achieve max steering lock in the hairpin but in all other turns the steering is more or less the same as default setup. Which can be a +. It's a matter of individual preference.

• Like Like x 2
  6. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Alright, so let me first start off saying that my previous comment you replied to wasnt perfectly accurate. So, thanks for forcing me to research this to get it correct, since I wasnt before :p

So let me try to explain this further to clarify better now.

Steering rotation is rather simple, and as you know, it's just how many degrees your steering wheel turns. 900 degrees is 450 in either direction, and 360 degrees is 180 in either direction... as an example.

Steering lock as you noted, is the degrees at which the wheels turn.

So my previous statement:
    Isnt perfectly accurate. I was correct that the steering ratio is lower, but since the steering lock is higher (20 as opposed to 13), the car will still turn tighter even though the steering ratio is lower.

This brings us to steering ratio though, and realism.

Steering ratio is how much steering lock you have given an amount of rotation. A lower steering ratio will be less responsive (or less sensitive/twitchy) but if the steering lock is higher, the car will still turn tighter. Meaning, if you have a lower steering ratio, you will need to turn your steering wheel farther for the wheels to turn the same amount as when the steering ratio is higher.

Here is a diagram to illustrate this better.

[​IMG]

So finally, realism... What initially threw me off here and what confused me is when you said that you increase the steering rotation when you increase the steering lock. I hadnt heard of someone doing this, and from my previous understanding, this meant to me that it should make it more difficult to make that hairpin. Which wasnt accurate. Since what matters, is simply that more steering lock means you can turn tighter. And steering ratio doesnt affect that.

All that said, GT3 cars never use 900 degrees of rotation. If we were going for realism, being able to change the DoR to 900 would be locked and impossible to achieve. So, if you want to 'more realistically' make changes to take the hairpin better, all you would do is increase the steering lock, since all you need is for your wheels to turn at more of an angle, which means you can turn tighter and you will have a smaller turning circle.

TL;DR regarding steering ratio: Increasing the steering lock means you can turn in a smaller circle, but this will make the car more reactive. To counter this change of behavior, you can then increase the steering rotation. Which means you need more steering input to reach that full amount of steering lock. This will effectively decrease the sensitivity of the steering, and bring more stability and precision.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK is the wheel range and the steering lock/ratio in Raceroom set on all cars like they are in the real life.
    A Porsche could take those corners in real life so it would be the racing line and/or speed which makes the difference to get those hairpins. Tried that with the cup Porsche, which is a bitch in all curves, and it works.

I think, fiddling with those parameters is a bit like cheating, because in the real world, noone can change this settings.
    Those settings should be enabled only for wheels, which cannot change them automatically to the correct parametersor in amateur mode.

8. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    thank you guys. first point, i know i can race for sure at macau.
    second point, there are a lot of tech-stuff to study and to try here and i like them.

9. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You have defined your preferred hardware setup and wheel rotation. Most people will have it at either 540° or 900° I bet, for whatever their reaosns are - last but not least misunderstanding how it works. I am not even certain that I understood it correctly. :D

I use to race all cars with a steering lock at 16 or 17. I do not care whether that is realistic or not, its the quickest way for me to get the steering feel like I want it to feel, without much hassle. Minimum work - maximum effect. Wonderful, thats how I like it.

At Macau however, for that hairpin, I usually set steering lock to almost or to the maximum, else I get stuck there time and again.

Keep it simple, guys. The time you save you can spend on driving instead, and having fun with it. ;)