Resolved New guy - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Prem Sudhakar, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi! This is prem from India. Have been waiting to get a decent wheel setup for a long time. Finally I got a Logitech G29. I am new to the sim racing scene (don't worry I will be patient and hence smart)

Recently installed R3E and got a bit familiar with the free stuff. I am interested in all kinds of touring car categories.

So, here's my question. Where do I start? What to buy? Can I jump into competitions? I am from India. So, I still have to see how my pings are going to be :)

Peace,
    Prem
    can't wait to show you my front wheels...

• Like Like x 4
  2. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Most used content for money:

1. GTR3 (ADACs)
    2. DTM 16
    3. DTM 92, TC
    4. WTCC 15
    5. HOCKENHEIMRING
    6. NORDSCHLEIFE
    7. NÜRBURGRING
    8. RED BULL RING SPIELBERG

http://game.raceroom.com/store/pack/starter-pack

Buy STARTER PACK for 999 vRP this is a very good deal for beginners! And it's includes most of popular stuff! Good luck and have fun! Race fair!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Prem. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Prem :)

5. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Prem ... I wish you much fun with raceroom ;)

6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I would start with WTCC and silhouette, and work your way up to faster and harder to control cars- GT3 and DTM.

But if your'e looking for a good deal money-wise, Steam sells the DTM 2013 pack (cars + tracks) for 16$. DTM 2013 supposedly should have the latest physics, so it's a good deal.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for welcoming and thanks for the info guys.
    Just one more thing. Are there any prerequisites for jumping into competitions/championships

• Like Like x 1
  8. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    If you own the content (cars and tracks), there's no requirement for participation to any sp mode.

9. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hi Prem - Welcome to R3E!

I guess the only prerequisites for joining any competition/championship is that you own the required cars and tracks for the series you join. Overall I think the GT3's would be the most widely accepted group of cars - every group seems to have different tastes - it could be the case of finding what group of cars you like and then searching for a community that is currently running those cars (most will change it around over time - so you more than likely will need to invest in some other classes to keep involved further down the track)

Here's my journey into R3E - you may want to take some points from this (don't feel you have to)

I started with the "Free Content" servers - just to get a feel for things - BUT this can be frustrating due to the large amount of wreckers who frequent those servers and will destroy your enjoyment of the game - I guess its worth a few runs to see how your system handles the online side of things in general.

I was luckily enough (or maybe unluckily - Eh Andy Blade) talent spotted (joking) by Andy Blade from ESR and he invited me to join the ESR Group - believe me at this stage I was still a little apprehensive about this online racing thing. At the time this group was in the final stages of a championship - which they asked If I was keen to join, fearing I would destroy some-ones championship so I declined, But did join their week-end "drop in" events.

First thing to take into account is no matter how quick you think you are in single player - you're not once you hit the multiplayer side of things....the first races (and still some now) can be frustrating when you find out your quick-lap is still some 2 seconds off the pace - my advice here is NEVER give up. That is something that bugs me - guys who do a couple of laps then dis-connect because they aren't winning or having a good race. Just keep doing lap after lap after lap - chat with the guys (most communities are using Discord or teamspeak) you'll be surprised how much quicker you can get in a race session by (trying to)follow another more seasoned racer...even if you spear off on several occasions. I did it - more often than not! (and still do)

Once I was relatively comfortable with casual sessions, the chance to run in a mini-champ came up, and I jumped in ready for action.....I'll admit I'm not quick - but for me it was my first tilt at a championship to test the waters on a more competitive front.
    I began practicing more off-line to get setups that worked for me (don't forget setups are a "personal" thing - while some can grab a setup from anywhere, it may not work for you) and looked at Racerooms leaderboard challenge to get some driving line tips for tracks (some will frown on this too) I still wasn't a serious challenger - but it was a really fun series

I'm currently doing a race series with Darkside Racing (Australian/New Zealand based group) - casual drop-ins with ESR, and have just signed up for their up-coming GT3 championship. I don't frequent the "free content" servers anymore - just too frustrating, I would rather just do some solo practice laps for an up-coming event.

In the end it's practice, practice, practice that I guess is a pre-requisite before entering a championship. Incidents WILL happen but if you're confident enough that you wont wreck someones race go for it. I have respect for my fellow competitors and I'm probably guilty of giving some too much room, or not being forceful enough - but that's my way of racing! if some ones obviously quicker I hold my line and give them room to pass - but don't make it super easy, if a raging battle pack is approaching (yes I'm being lapped) - I get out of the way and let them go....I try not to nudge or turn guys around

There we go that was my path to where I am now.....I still have a long way to go
    Practice, practice, practice and respect, more practice....repeat!

Most of all though just have FUN

Hope we meet on the track somewhere
    Chris
    *sorry about the novel....hope theres some useful info amongst it...

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. tothrauldaniel

tothrauldaniel Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I bought and tested all content recently and I don't regret it one bit. The sounds are the best in racing games so far. Maybe I will write some more when I have the time, If not look for Toth Raul Daniel and pass me cause I'm such a freakin' gentlemen :D :p

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    @Sdemonnz: I read and took in every bit of it. Thank you.
    @tothrauldanile: You are such a gentleman. Now, let me pass ;)

Alright guys. I think I got it. I will start with free content servers, spend some time there. Then I think I will go with the starter pack and explore more. There is a lot to find out. I am very excited.

Thank you all and see you on the field.

Peace,
    Prem

• Like Like x 3
  12. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I would say test drive many cars, find one or two you like and maybe just buy them to get started. The price will be discounted from the overall cost of the pack you decide to buy.
    Gt3 for me is a must, i really cant get on with the DTM cars, just something about the driving model i dislike. Group 5 are great as are the old DTM and touring cars, feel a bit funny to drive but great fun on a busy server.
    As for tracks, thats personal preference, but you cant go wrong with Spa, Nords, Hockenheim, Nurburgring and red bull ring, screw that, if you like the game just buy the pack with the most tracks, they are all great but a few are a lot more popular online than others, but its nice to have them when they pop up or for offline use.
    If you go MP, dont judge the game or the online experince based on the free to play servers, not representative of the paid for content\servers by a long way.
    Race at your pace, dont push too hard and try to be considerate to others, altho sometimes thats easier said than done.
    Most of all just enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  13. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    @Not Lifting Off: Gotcha. Have been test driving some cars. I like the old beasts. Like you said they are pure fun. Of course I am not going to judge the online experience based on free to play servers. Regarding racing at my own pace, point noted. Thank you.

For now I am setting up FFB on my wheel.
    Watch out. I am gearing up ;)

Peace,
    Prem

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    It seems you got it clear but still I'm gonna say it again, get out of the free stuff servers as soon as you can. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to R3E mate!

I can vouch for the Audi TT Cup (15-16, the same experience).

Master them and you will develop your overall skills and speed. Since they are low powered you need to nail the late braking, keeping up momentum through the corners and they are really easy to race since they don't oversteer or understeer too much.

They're the closest to rental karts driving wise. One mistake and you lose seconds since it takes time to gain momentum.

The free to play content servers are like steeping in a minefield but I sometimes practice on them just to get used to and experience:

• People driving the wrong way.
    • People letting you by just to wreck you in the last second.
    • Nice chat language.
    • Turn 1 management.
    • Working your way up from last to first to last and repeat.
    Jokes aside, what it is useful for is to manage traffic and keeping a cool head in "exciting" situations which can be useful in serious races.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I will. There is waiting for salary too... ;)
    @Hasselhoax: Thank you. Those are some really nice points about the minefield. If we train in the minefield life becomes little less scary when you encounter one on the real battle field.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Hi Prem,
    DTM92 Beemer is a great car to learn basics of driving faster, setting up of a car and provides exciting racing, imho!
    AudiTT is a great car for learning the nuances of front wheel drive motors and is great fun, p2p helps add a bit more to think about and helps to learn racing strategy, imho!
    RRFJ will teach you everything you need to learn about momentum, corner speed and really shows up mistakes and wrong lines, glaringly, if you're competitive in the Junior you are well on your way to getting the most from the slower cars, imho!
    TatusF4 & RRF3 will help progress from the Junior to higher speed driving and are great cars for finding the limits of each cars ability (and yours ;)), everything happens that bit faster, so your reaction times improve, save a high speed, mid corner oversteer in the F3 and you can save anything, imho!
    X-Bow is a blast as is the NSU, both make for great wheel to wheel racing and both are easy to drive but frustratingly hard to master, imho!
    GTO's & G5's will drive you mad but the pirouetting does happen to some of the finest soundtracks in motorsport, master these and you can master anything and I have to mention the sound again, fanbloodytastic! imho!
    In multiplayer it generally ends up with GT3's or DTM14,15,16 but my tip is, if you see a car/track combo you like, jump in and you will be joined by others in time, a lot will only turn up 2 mins before the end of qualifying, as they are driving gods, as I'm sure they will show you, or die trying! :rolleyes:
    Try grab a simple guide to car setups off the old interweb, a car you find frustrating and undriveable could well be just one click here and two there away from being your weapon of choice, it's not rocket science and gives you something to do other than race, getting a car set up perfect is most satisfying, imho!
    Last but not least the leaderboards are an incredible tool for finding lines through corners and generally improving your driving experience and over time great satisfaction can be found from knocking a couple tenths off a time set months before. Also a great gauge for where you are in the RR world of Motorsport (Soon to be a ranking system implemented negating this).

Most of all have fun, respect fellow drivers and welcome to the wonderful world of Raceroom!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Keep hydrated, eat occasionally, and remember that there are people outside the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Prem Sudhakar

Prem Sudhakar Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    @GooseCreature: Hey! Very informative. Thank you for taking your time. By the way...
    What is p2p?

20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Push to Pass

I think it is only available on the Audi TT, ( with something similar on the DTM ?)

It gives you some extra horsepower for 10 secs, then you have a 20 sec cool down.
    I'm not sure if I love it or hate it !
    But I surely do love the Audi TTs.

• Like Like x 1