New Porsche Cars Physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dungbeetle, Mar 23, 2018.

1. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Following Alex's recent updated physics to many of the cars, I have a quick question regarding the 'new' Porsche physics.

A while ago I listened with interest when Alex spoke (In a Race Department video) about the work he had been doing. A great video, btw.

One thing he mentioned was about the new Porsche Cayman's cornering characteristics. He explained that when pushed hard, the car's tyres don't like to slide around corners - they tend to grip and skip, grip and skip. This, he said, was a characteristic of this car. EDIT - Here's the part about the cornering starting at 24:33

I've subsequently watched a few YouTube streams/videos of folks driving the Cayman and when the car is close to or on the limit, it seems to lurch and skip around just about every slowish/tight turn.

I'm curious about a couple of things.

Firstly, I'm surprised that Porsche havent managed to 'dial' this behaviour out somehow in real life - why is this, and secondly, are there setup changes in RaceRoom that can help reduce this behaviour?

Cheers. :)

b.t.w., Thanks for the try anything for free weekend, guys. It's great to be able to sample any car on any track - great stuff! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Because the reason this happens is the inside front wheel becoming completely unloaded while cornering, due to the most weight sitting in the back. To tackle this they could do two things: Add weight in the front of the car or make the suspension so stiff it won't be able to budge. I guess their drivers preferred neither so they rather learned to deal with it. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's pretty much why. The Porsches, even the Caymans have a majority of their weight towards the rear, which tends to make the front inside wheel lift during turns. It's that front inside wheel lingering around the road surface and occasionally making contact which makes for that skipping effect. It's the price that has to be paid for the great traction those cars have. You can try dialing it out by stiffening the rear end, and it may be slightly quicker at the apex, but corner exits will suffer.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

Any plans to add virtual house bricks into the game so we can stick 'em in the Cayman's 'boot' under the bonnet, Alex? ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Just a question to @Alex Hodgkinson :
    To you consider to look for the Porsche Cup Physics?
    It's hardly understandable, that this car is driving that bad in those Cups. The front tires are always screaming and it's very hard to enter the curves.

I don't want to say that I don't like cars which are hard to drive, but is it that realistic? Driving the Virtual Racing Cup with the Porsche is more than hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Maybe, everything is always incrementally improving so I find better ways to make the car talk to the driver in game.
    Don't forget though, the car was developed with a lot of real driver feedback!

• Like Like x 2