New seat/rig required!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badders46, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I currently have a Playseat Evolution Alcantara which has served me well (bought in April I believe)... However, I didn't envisage myself getting this into sim racing having joined a league now... I have just upgraded to a T300 and CSP V3's and the Playseat just doesn't seem to be up to par... The pedal plate flexes, which I knew from reviews and from using with my G29 pedals and although I have just made a support for it, I feel that I should be looking at a new chair/rig with built in support... The single tube for the wheel is also an issue...

So, I have seen RR do a couple of nice looking seats, just wondered if anyone has bought one as the RR3033 seems to tick all boxes for me... Have also looked at Omega but they don't seem to be quite as nice on the eye... I also have an issue with the single tube due to my build... I am 6' 1" but have a longer top half than bottom so run out of room quickly with the Playseat!

Any information/suggestions would be most welcome! Please note, making one is completely out of the question!

Thanks!

Dan

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    the GT Omega Pro is pretty good. I have nothing to compare it to (I upgraded from a Heath-Robinson wooden frame bodged onto an old Ikea chair), but it's fairly sturdy and comfy once you get it all dialled in. The seat isn't very wide so if you're on the girthy side you might find it a bit thin, but other than that I have no complaints. The pedal mount is very stable.

3. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Given you enjoy things a lot. If you can afford it, I would suggest investing in your "last" rig. Something heavy with plenty modifications etc. Simtek K2 or SimLab P1 etc. Personally my first and only rig so far is the GT Omega Art. It's okay and one has to have a rig first to know what to look for. But now I would invest into something where I know it will serve the needs with any other hw upgrades to come. Rather than too many incremental steps with semi-pro stuff.

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    i heard that the Omega Art has some issues with the stability of its pedals mounting plate. Maybe this is now resolved but it's why I went for the Pro, which is basically the same price, but can't be adjusted without lots of farting around with spanners - the Art is more appropriate if you need to change the set up regularly

5. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I’ve gone through 3 rigs myself and have tried a total of 7. I so wish I had just got a 80/20 type rig at the start.

Everything I had tried had pluses and minuses. My last rig (next level racing gtultimate) which was highly reviewed by many, and ticked many boxes was ultimately a let down. I had a playseat before that which I won’t go into as it simply doesn’t have a design that facilitates my desires (movement, adjustability, etc).

I tried a gt omega pro for a afternoon. It has way to much movement with a fanatec base and fanatec pedals attached. That sadly meant all the other pros and cons simply don’t matter.

At least when considering a rig consider a 80/20 type rig. You get rock solid rig, that’s as adjustable as your brain will let it be, as many mounting options as you could desire (I have a fanatec wheel, pedals, shifter and ebrake, keyboard, 2 button boxes, and a cup holder attached).

You can select any bucket seat you want at many different price ranges. Since it doesn’t need to be fia/dot approved there are plenty of affordable options. You can even go standard automotive but it’s far more unfun to install (1.5 hours versus 15 minutes). The rig allows for growth and there are several vendors now providing easy brackets for even better adjustments.

I have the SimLabs P1 rig. As stated I wish I had started with this type of thing. Wasted too much time and money fixing poor designs, or fighting where things sit.

Pic of my old rig as it was coming together - and a pic from simlabs of the P1

Attached Files:

6. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input guys! Cheers Jim (Dan from REAL!)

Will have a look at those mentioned and look at reviews etc... I want this to be an investment to cover me for the future, although I am unlikely to upgrade my setup further!

Cheers again!

Thanks for the post that came in whilst I was typing Will look into this too!

7. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I would also advise the 80/20 aproach, either buy one that is pre-cut with all the connectors and bits or design one yourself, there are lots to compare to and pinch ideas from and higly customizable, I did this after having a GTOmega pro for a year or so that had no major faults for me other than its length and a little bit of movement at the pedal plate that I was easily able to brace.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  8. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to thank you all for your help with this... I have decided to purchase the Simetik K2 rig due to adjustability and strength/reviews on YouTube!

Did look at Simlabs but once we move the office, the rig will be on show to anyone in the house and I think the Simlabs looks a bit industrial...

I am also hoping to use my seat from my Playseat until I save enough for another seat, therefore spreading the cost

Thanks again!!

Happy New Year!!

9. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Just keep in mind the Simetik K2 is sturdy, but in no means matches the SimLab.
    I know what I'm saying, switched from the K2 to the Simlab and there is a huge difference, really. On top of that, the SimLab (or any other 80/20) has no limits for adding gear.
    If you plan a high end pedal set (like my Heusinkveld set) sooner or later, know that the Simetik pedal plate does bend under hard braking.
    Choices choices....:)

Happy Holidays !

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    heey wow.. just what I seacrhed for.. someone who used both, Simetik K2 and Simlab rigs :)

I need your assistance in choosing one of them.

I mainly race in VR but I will include a monitor support with the rigs.

What I really like about the K2:
    + In my configuration (with all extensions I need) it is 107€ cheaper than the Sim-Lab GT1 (Evo). Taxes and shipping INCLUDED.
    + the positions of wheel, seat, pedals was directly transfered from the Audi R8 LMS cockpit. So very authentic (and authencity is important for me)
    + It is sturdy enough for DD-wheels
    + You can place the shifter very naturally
    What I don't like so much about the K2:
    - it's not SUPER-modular, but on the other side I don't know if I need this super-modularity
    - It looks good but not "professional"
    What I really like about the GT1 Evo:
    + it's SUPER-modular, but on the other side I don't know if I need this super-modularity
    + looks very professional
    + you can add aluminium profiles from any manufacturer/shop
    + almost limitless
    What I don't like so much about the GT1 Evo:
    - it's slightly out of budget, it devours my total budget for Rig+Seat+DD-Wheel of 2100€
    - I don't know how long it is, I don't have endlessly space. Maximum 140cm would be nice. K2 fits.
    - Positions not as authentic as in the K2. You have to try a lot more to make it fit.
    - If you have to dismount the rig it will take ages I think :D

I don't plan to buy Heusinkveld pedals, they're just too expensive for me for "just" being pedals (I know pedals are important). As I already have the Fanatec CSP v3 I think I'll stick with them for a long time.

It's a bit of a dilemma now for me. Having it super professional or have a very decent rig and save 100€ ..?

I know you would go for the sim lab one because you made the change yourself... but what would you do in my case? (DD-Wheel, CSP v3,..)

I want to order in about 2 weeks.. so we have some time to discuss :)

11. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Honestly ? Go for the SimLab, really.

The Simetik K2 is a good rig, pretty sturdy, adjustable steering wheel plate (which was the main reason I changed from my RaceRoom rig). But (and that is big BUT): the pedal plate bottom side slides over a steel rod that helps to keep the two halfs of the rig together, the upper side is fastened by bolts. Heavy braking - even with my Fanatec V3 pedals, caused the plate to move. Not by much but still noticeable and disturbing in the end. When I bought my HE Pro's (btw: they are for sale now because I bought the Ultimates), the problem obviously became worse. Which made me decide to buy the SimLab P1. I could not be happier and more content...

Now, you already mentioned the modularity. Maybe you won't need it, but I bet you will eventually :D
    Position can be set exactly as you wish, adding some profiles or changing the position of the brackets. I was talking about my P1, but just went to take a look at the GT1 and I see almost the same possibilities, pedal plate inclination, hight, distance. With the adjustable steering wheel mount you can get yourself in exact the position you want.

While te K2 is pretty strong, you can not compare it to a 80/20 rig like the SimLab. I have my 27" triples mounted by means of the dedicated SimLab brackets to the rig...they don't move...
    On the Simetik they would. Oh yes, the K2 can hold a person while standing, no doubt, but the lateral movement is there. If you can live with that, and with the play in the pedal plate, it is certainly a good rig, better than most others.

You will need to decide yourself, but my advise is in the first line... It will be the last rig you ever buy/need.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
  13. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Btw: went to visit SimLab yesterday to get some more stuff I needed (*). While there I took the opportunity to try the GT1 Evo. It is indeed noticeable sturdier than the Simetik. It uses a different pedal and steer support than my P1, but the plates are massive and well attached, easy to change position.

(*) a new bracket for my button box (I used an old (scratched) alu plate for now, will be replaced later :D
    [​IMG]

And something to move up the rig a bit. Easier cleaning under it and easier to get in and out for an old man :p

[​IMG]
    As I wrote, almost infinite modularity.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. latifkaleem

latifkaleem New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This whole discussion is sound informative.

15. muzikant

muzikant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I have a Rseat rs1
    Strong and beautifull!

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I just ordered the GT1 Evo from Sim-Lab with some accessoires and monitor stand...:

GT1-V6-14.jpg

And the LTEC Pro (Plus) in blue:

fia-ltec-pro-seat-blue-600x600.jpg

also my Hamburger Phone was delivered today:
    hamburger.JPG
    hamburger2.JPG

and it works better than expected.. actually it works pretty well. But I use the dial helper of my FritzBox :D

• Like Like x 3
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    And ?
    You like it ? :)

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    not here yet. lead time 10- 15 business days. the 15 are just over.. so maybe next week? :-D I hope.

The rest is here (OSW Simucube, Momo Mod 27 + Ascher Racing Button Plate, Bucket Seat, Monitor for the rig...)

19. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Going to visit them again next week. A friend wants to see/try/buy the GT1 Evo also and I need some more accessories.

20. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Someone have some news here? Is the pedal plate of the GT1 stable and movable up/down and in the length? I can't find any information on the website what I can move on this.
    I really want to buy the last rig for me, but I don't want to spend 800+ Euros.