New to Raceroom, but not to sim racing - a little help please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndwthx1138, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Hello all,

My background started 125CC shifter karts, formula dodge, a few randoms that I wasn't great in and ending with a 996 porsche cup series (that last one dates me pretty good!). Plenty of track time in various cars and still to this day I visit the track 2-5 times a year (all west coast US). I had tried racing games/sims a few times in my life, but relative to the real thing I found it disappointing and simply too far outside the realm to offer any help or be fun for me. However, recently a friend who had been training showed me his motion rig in VR with assetto corsa and all of a sudden I was sold. Perfect? No, but lots of great stuff and finally looking to the apex, sensing space correctly, checking your blind spots etc. Since then I have about 800+ hours in VR just doing sim racing, with a fanatec, DSD and 80/20 rig. Most of this was either in iracing or assetto corsa. I tried raceroom when it went VR but it or I was plagued with performance problems on what was then one of the fastest consumer PCs around (titan pascal card, 6960X intel, all over clocked). However tried it mid last week (post the newest patch) and man oh man what a difference. Now it really looks and feels fantastic.

I just had a couple questions which I am hoping are easy solves.

Clutch bite point - I can't seem to find info on what the number represents. I understand what the bite is, but stating a number not relative to anything is like calling it a color. Is it a percentage of the clutch throw/travel? Is there a way to see this relative to the clutch travel?

Shadows - I see many a thread about this - but what I am constantly seeing is, as I approach a shadow it literally disappears 25 yards in front of me. It completely breaks the feeling of speed and really is disturbing looking. I tried split shadows, upping the contact shadows and have shadows on high.

ABS - are there no settings for this? If I am in a GT3 car which would in general have anywhere from 7 to 14 settings for ABS levels, how can this be accessed?

Mirrors - are they relative useless like assetto corsa? Meaning just 2D with not positional data? iracing handles this very well and makes them very usable. I can't seem to find a way to adjust or make them at least positional based.

Thanks for any help/aid

NathanW

• Like Like x 2
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Im sure others will help on the other items but i can tell you the mirrors are just static POV renderings. The side mirrors are actually the rear view split in half! Eurotruck 2 does have the proper viewing angle based mirrors.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I had the same issue with the Shadows but as I noticed that it wasn't an issue before I was changing my Video-Settings to optimize VR-Perfomance I know that it had to came with one of the Video-Settings.

So I tried a bit around and found the setting that created that strange shadow-behavior. In my case it was the setting for Car-Reflections. I had it on low but after switching to Medium-Setting the shadow was back to normal. Maybe it works for you as well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Medium and shadow split on or off ? And how much do you have on the split setting ? Max32 or less ?

5. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Shadow-Split is active on my side (if I remember right). With the ammount in the setting you mean Contact-Shadow? I have Contact Shadow on 20. Just a random value as I don't think it has a huge impact on performance.

6. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    yes thats the one I recently got a 1080ti to make vr decent. But i still struggle to make it smooth and looking good. So any help anyone can give me i will gladly take all your suggestion.
    Cpu in my signature , My headset is a PsVR ( i use a software to make it work on PC )

7. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Thank you, I will give this a try. Much appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Man that is really too bad. It's one of assetto's real draw backs as well. There are certain cars you really need mirrors in or you simply can't setup a correct defensive line. Of course if someone dives on the inside of you, you are blind to it, making collisions a for sure event. I am not a huge iracing fan, but that seems like a really good solution (it changes relative to head position and allows for adjustment). I know LSF has true stereo mirrors - awesome but I'd rather have the extra fps.. Hopefully the next gen of sims will include a better solution for this, currently it's poor at best.

Thank you for replying - I can't seem to find the "like" button on a persons response?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Frankly, I think Pascal gpu's just dont play all that nice with RR. I started out playing RR with a gtx 660 and upgraded to a 1070 about a year ago, and the performance jump was nowhere close to what it should have been.

Not that this is going to help you at all, but perhaps something to think about for the future... But with my 1070, I am pretty heavily bottlenecked by my cpu. Since I have a 144 Hz monitor, I need all the fps I can get, and even a 4670k @ 4.4 GHz isnt good enough for this gpu. While I can sometimes get ~200 fps solo on the track, come a race, it sometimes drops down to 40 fps. A 1080ti with an older cpu may very well be hitting a pretty hard bottleneck too. And since you are going VR, you need all the fps you can get as well.

At the bottom of someone's post, next to the reply button should be a row of reactions you can use. Perhaps they havent loaded in?

If you are coming from Assetto Corsa, think of RR as if it were using AC's "Factory" setting for ABS. The cars that have ABS in the real world, have it enabled here. So, GT3's have it enabled while Group 5's dont. It's non-adjustable however.

RR for better or worse in one's eyes, is more about the get out and race aspect, rather than the "fiddle with setups until you can squeak every last tenth out of 'er." So, I would probably just recommend picking a car and track combo you think you will enjoy, and just putting some laps down, then either having a go in MP or try racing against the AI. Otherwise there are a variety of hotlapping competitions going on, or leaderboards for every single car/track combo and you can see where you stack up :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    When CPU bottlenecked you can increase quality (resolution,AA, texture filters etc. for "free"). Reflections on low here due to sucking too much CPU.
    Don't blame the GPU being fast ;)

11. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    My first gen i7 is definitely bottlenecking the whole thing. But after spending 1200$ on a video card. I cannot see myself being able to upgrade mobo/cpu/ram for a while .. I still want to stay married ;)

12. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to run in 4k native or with downsampling.

13. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It has to do with how fast it bites. But my experience until now is that the default setting seems to work best for me with my T3PA pedal set. Maybe it's more of a setting to be used with higher end load cell pedals. @Georg Ortner, is this right?
    Could also be due to the fact of the DX9 engine which seems to be more prone to this. And also dependable on your graphics card and settings. But I got shadows on low because of a triple screen setup with a slightly (understatement) underpowered Radeon RX470 graphics card. With the shadows in low settings I don't notice it like you do.
    Not, ABS is not adjustable. Like tyre pressure and other minor things. Some don't like it that it isn't adjustable, I personally like the R3E approach since I like to race and I'm pretty much lacking race engineering skills. ;)

For me the way Assetta Corsa and iRacing trying to replicate real world technical setup, goes far beyond my basic knowledge and makes it for me more complicated to just have a good blast with racing and hotlapping.
    The mirrors viewpoints are fixed. So no adjustments possible on this moment. Would be a nice addition on S3S's stack of development wishes. ;) But since the last update with proper triple screen it's far better than it ever was. For VR I don't know since I haven't got any experience with VR. They aren't complete useless, but it got plenty of dead spots. I personally use the mirrors and the virtual mirror.

And for awareness for what's happening around you - especially when someone drives besides you but just out of your vision - nothing beats Crew Chief. You can download it from here: http://thecrewchief.org/. It's like your personal spotter and chief which you can ask (literally) very much.
    You're welcome! Have a blast with R3E! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Being in this thread by accident in fact, and as the problems seems to be solved, I'd just gladly want to thank @Patrick van der Meulen for posting this:

I was really struggling in Raceroom not to hit anybody and drive as clean as possible due to the lack of proper side views. Often being overcautious, which clearly resulted in worse timings. This application is gorgeous! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Thank you. Appreciate response.

The setup thing I understand. It’s a curse and a joy in AC and iracing. I understand the thought process and it’s certainly interesting. It does make getting into it rather fun/easy. I am enjoying it. I do wish things like ABS settings were available. Like traction control levels it adds to driving styles.

I’m on a nvidua titan (pascal card, just a tick above the 1080 ti). I will try a few of the suggestions here to change this behavior.

Problem with the mirrors - there are literally cars where I cannot see one of the mirrors from a proper driving position - add to this the mirror is not pointing where you’d need it in a full race bucket seat - it’s asking for a accident. As for crew chief - love it and use it. It helps but not a diving attempt which even the AI will do.

The sound btw is really the best I’ve heard from any of the sims. By a bit.

16. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    There's your bottleneck right there! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I have understood this correctly with a graphics card NVIDIA TITAN Xp
    do you have problems with RaceRoom and not the full performance of the graphics card?
    I'm planning to buy a graphic card like this right now

18. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    AFAIK you won‘t habe problems but yes - you will not utilise the full performance of the card...

19. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure I understand what you are asking -

I am in VR which is incredibly demanding on the gpu even with a over clocked titan card and a very quick cpu (6960x running at 4ghz). It’s a balancing act of shadows, anti aliasing, ppd, and geometry/filtering levels to get smoothe performance.

Most the time my gpu is running at 75-90% while running a race with large field of AI. Running off course, getting in a collusion with other AI cars, and simply sliding and hitting the dirt can cause spikes to high 90’s or max the titan out (which is over clocked to just over 2000).

Some folks are ok with ASW, I am totally not, 90fps and lowering détail is far better in my opinion for a sim where you need to respond to things in less than a second.

Nathan

20. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    @ndwthx1138 / @m.bohlken

I only use a single screen and don't use vr.
    I just wanted to update my system and currently i have a Nividia GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

I just wanted to know if I could use it without any problems.
    I only play Raceroom.