Newbie seeking managed race series

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heavelyz, Jul 3, 2020.

1. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, apologies if in wrong place but "Leagues" forum says "A good place to introduce your community and to promote your league", so that's not a good fit.

I am looking for managed RaceRoom races, happy to participate in leagues/ series occurring during UK evenings and weekends (and maybe during the day if I am ever off during the week). By managed I mean I'm looking for some kind of managed multiplayer where the emphasis is on racing as-if-it-were-real-life (properly managed penalties for excessive/ premeditated cutting causing intentional damage to others/ "unsafe" driving).

I am returning to Simracing after decades long break and I am currently *slow* and steady :). I'm over 50 so there is every chance I might remain slow and steady :D.

Though I don't mind being slow, I also want to avoid being a roadblock for others, so again a managed race with clear rules which also apply to me is welcome (e.g. participants have to prove they're not wreckers/ that they can race at a certain consistent pace before entry is something I am entirely happy to accommodate).

I'm likely to get most out of races where I can judge how well (or more likely, "badly") I am driving against others in equal cars with the same setup (I have no idea how many seconds there are to gain between default and optimised setups).

I'd prefer races where sim-aids are forced off or forced manufacturer defaults. I'm looking for the racing to be as near real life as possible but at the same time have fun (and enjoy the company of others who are equally having fun).

Regards rig, I'm using: -
    • a high (but not highest) end laptop. So, no separate GPU - I'm currently relying on Intel CPU only (but plotting to get my son to build me one of his cheaper than market gaming machines :)),
    • a 40" TV which I also use as 2nd monitor for work (and again will look to replace with trip monitors and/ or VR),
    • a recently gifted X-rocker folding chair which I've had to unsophisticatedly adapt to fit my 6ft height
    • a Thrustmaster TX458 wheel/ pedal set, which again I'll look to upgrade at an appropriate point.
    But my first upgrade is to get consistently quicker and for that I need seat time. My hardware limits me to specific games, RRE is my current favourite as it feels the most realistic.

To start with, I first looked in the multiplayer servers on RRE, tried a couple of multiplayer events but got rear ended badly and without warning fairly early on in practice for one. Maybe it was my fault, maybe it was a lag issue, I don't know. But that set me off looking for organised leagues/ password protected servers/ managed race series that had good ping from my location (so, am completely open to international servers but my assumption is that to start with I'm looking servers closest to home - I'm in the UK).

I've got good dynamic IP broadband (not the greatest, it's FTTC and - unless I'm going to start my own server, I think the dynamic IP is immaterial). As tested just now (Friday afternoon, multiple clients consuming broadband through my router for video/ gaming purposes) datarate is 42Mb down and 16Mb up. My rig is also my work from home desk connected to the router via manufacturer paired ethernet over mains plugs and is solid (I can't remember videoconferences dropping ever at my end/ other disco's).

I've searched the internet and found at least one good forum (SROU), have enjoyed at least one race there already and am intending to participate further.

I've seen the leagues here and am looking through those (but unless I'm missing a trick you have to go into each one - there's no summary calendar that shows all events happening on a specific day).

Question is, what else is out there that fits this kind of ask? Any suggestions gratefully received, thank you in advance.

One last thing...it's friday, so if there's any race happening tonight that fits then I'm all ears (but it depends on how much work I get given after work, if you see what I mean :D)

Happy weekend all.

2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  3. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ...that's looks good to me, thank you (must admit I'm old skool so Discord I struggle somewhat)
    ...these also look great (but I think I'll struggle with the language - I can just about read/ write *very* basic french), but thank you again anyway - I shall bear these in mind.

4. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Id recommend getting used to Discord, pretty much every community uses it nowadays. For those foreign sites i used google translate or built in browser translator- somehow it worked!

5. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you...good advice always welcomed

6. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    Btw, polls for next justrace season ended today and its gonna be f3 on tuesdays, gt3 on thursdays and wtcr on sundays

EDIT: it starts next week

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  7. geoffers

geoffers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Heavelyz, you will be most welcome to join us at SROUK, I think our attitude to racing is just what you are looking for. Most of us are older guys.

http://www.simracing.org.uk/smf/index.php

We currently have 3 RaceRoom series running alternately on Thursday evenings, Merc C-klasse DTM 95, FRJ & Touring Classics with Porsche 964. We also have RaceRoom every other Sunday evening currently running the GTR2 cars.
    Check out the forum (link above).

• Like Like x 1
  8. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Maybe it's the Android browser I'm using right now (I'll try again with my laptop in the morning) but I'm trying to register to tomorrow night's just race rre dtm92 at suzuka and I can't find the registration password...ack

9. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    dtm92 league is private (limited to CA staff), as i said, its f3, gt3 and wtcr and as i can see, only one lobby for first f3 race is created

• Like Like x 1
  10. heavelyz

heavelyz New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I get you, thanks.

Sadly for the one FR3 race I can see, I get this message..."Minimum Safety Ratings of 40% not applicable as you have less than 55 laps logged".

Does that mean laps logged in just race, or rre, or other?

11. FeltHλt

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    ill investigate it and come back to you shortly, but gonna lie, it would be nice to talk with you on their discord