Problem No ping from servers in multiplayer: only in R3E and gradually getting worse...

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sascha Reynders, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Ever since I started playing R3E a few years back, I've had issues with servers showing ping "-ms" in multiplayer. These included some of the official public servers as well as various private servers. At that time I had some technical problems (frequent disconnections, unstable noise margins, high line attenuation, etc etc) with my internet connection, so I blamed my ISP. Last year however, my ISP solved all my connection problems by completely re-cabling the telephone line to our house and I've been enjoying a very stable internet connection ever since.
    But the issue with R3E servers showing no ping persisted, and has gradually gotten worse: where in the beginning (with the very bad connection) I got a ping from about 75% of all servers in the list, today I'm lucky if I get a ping from 10% of them... Even servers that always showed good, low pings like RaceDepartment or Team GTR3 (which are based in France, where I live) are now showing "-ms" all the time. (And at the same time I am getting pings from servers based in Singapore or Thailand, go figure...)
    Strangely enough, I can join some of these no-ping servers, but most of them give the "no response from the server" message.

And this issue only exists in R3E for me, in others sims on my PC, multiplayer works just fine:

- Assetto Corsa & AMS: over 98% of the servers show ping and can be joined
    - rF2, pCars and pCars2 : 100% of the servers show ping and can be joined

Additionally: in these sims, servers like RaceDepartment or Sim Racing System all show ping, but they don't in R3E...

I've tried just about everything to solve this problem: disabling anti-virus, disabling firewall altogether, set Windows to prefer ipv4 over ipv6, disabling ipv6 completely on my PC and router, port forwarding on my router, connecting through a VPN, ... but to no avail.
    I've tested my connection numerous times, and although it's not the fastest in the world, it shows reasonable ping, less than 1% of package loss and very little jitter.

I remember other people on here having similar problems, but I don't know if there ever was a clear explanation on why this seems to be happening only in R3E multiplayer, and not in other sims.
    So your thoughts about what might be causing this are welcome.

For what it's worth: my ISP is Free (France), my router a FreeBox v6 (with both ipv4 and ipv6 capabilities), my connection VDSL, and a wired connection to my gaming PC.

Cheers,

Sascha

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    I think it's normal for servers with no players to show no ping. My list is full of "-ms" entries but I can join them fine. The servers now support idling when no player is around.

There is the occasional "cannot join server" but clicking same server again works most time. Sometimes I restart r3e then it works. Joining via SRS interestingly always worked so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, but in my case it's mostly empty servers that show ping, most of the populated ones (like SRS for instance) don't... And I've been reluctant to join any of those 'cos I have no idea what my actual ping would be, and I'd hate to cause trouble to other players by warping all over the place in case it would be excessively high...

4. Hatty051

Hatty051 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bare with me, I know my profile is brand spanking new but I'm experiencing this issue as well. Attempted to open my own server and no one including myself can jump into it. It also displays a -ms ping.

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That sounds more like a port forwarding problem.

6. Hatty051

Hatty051 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dove in and forwarded ports and no change. Still no response from my own server and several other servers.

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    If nobody is able to connect to a server I'd still highly suspect mapping/forwarding to be the real issue. Like @pixeljetstream mentioned, a server not showing a ping in the server browser is not an indicator for that server's functionality.
    Maybe take a screenshot of the router settings you've added (make sure to hide anything important like your external IP if you do tho).

8. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    OK, I bit the bullet and joined a populated server showing "-ms" and got in without any issues. Decided to leave it immediately to see if I could get into another one, and whattayaknow: all of a sudden lots of servers start showing ping again o_O Not all of them of course, but Race department's back, Team GTR3's back, SRS is back...and all with good ping. Weird...

I quit R3E and re-launched, and I was back to square one: "-ms" on the vast majority of servers. Joined a random one again et voila: ping comes back on lots of servers. Scratching my head here :confused:

The only servers that keep giving me headaches though are the official [RR] ones, even the ones showing ping: most of the time I stil get "no response from the server" on those...

9. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Pareil le mémé problème impossible de jouer déconnecte toute les 2 minutes.

10. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    En fait, je n'ai pas de problèmes de déconnections moi, le problème est que je ne vois pas de ping pour la majorité des serveurs. Je peux me connecter quand-même sur certains et une fois connecté, je reste connecté. Il y a juste la plupart des servers Raceroom officiels ou je n'arrive pas à me connecter pour l'instant.

* Translation in English available on request for all you non-French speaking folks out there ;) *