Bug No shifting force feedback using XBox 360 Controller

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Metalogic, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Paradox Agi

Paradox Agi Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I agree, these effects never worked on the original 360 gamepad. XInput in general seems to work at least with the engine rumble as the Thrustmaster GPX provides that. This is why I think the 360's weak rumble may be the reason. I don't know exactly if the shifting vibration works with the GPX and can't test because I returned mine shortly after I bought it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have to agree with Hannes, with the Logitech Rumblepad 2 (DirectInput) I can feel all FFB effects (engine, tyre slip, shifting, curbs), independently or combined. So it's because of the xinput driver.

Have been looking for an xinput-to-directinput emu/driver but haven't found anything that would improve the FFB side of things, probably because of this:

"The Xbox 360 Controller is properly enumerated on DirectInput, and can be used with the DirectInputAPIs. However, some functionality provided by XInput will be missing from the DirectInput implementation:

• The left and right trigger buttons will act as a single button, not independently
    • The vibration effects will not be available"
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/ee417014(v=vs.85).aspx

3. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    But, the vibration effects are working regarding slip and curbs. Just engine and shifting don't work. So, I assume the problem is somewhere in between.

In ETS2 it is exactly as you said, it used DirectInput and the controller can be used, but without any rumble effects.

BTW: I found an emulator for directInput that worked at least in ETS2. I will test it once again regarding the rumble in R3E.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165238623

4. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    For testing the DirectIpnut emulator, I need to know how to tell the game it should use this API with the controller, I think. Does anyone know which config file lets me change that?

5. Akih

Akih New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is this something you are working on or is it just something the XInput gamepads just have to accept? While its not what the original thread was about but can you say if there is something being done to fully support the X1 Controller ?

Thanks in advance :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paradox Agi

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    In noticed the same behaviour with the new xinput support in ETS2. The engine vibration is missing in the trucking game as it is in R3E. Xinput seems to handle the rumble in a different way than directinput does...

7. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    The engine rumble and shift jolts were not effects that were developed for game pads. That those effects do work is just a consequence of the steering wheels and the non-Xbox game pads sharing the same API (DirectInput).

Since the Xbox game pads are the ones we've used throughout development (I think we may have had one or two DI pads in the office in total) they should be considered to be the intended "experience" on game pads.

As for the Xbox One controllers, it is not among our top priorities at this time.

• Informative Informative x 1